Author Topic: Another day, another school shooting  (Read 16587 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Another day, another school shooting
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:28:52 pm »
Link

I'm sure the NRA will have something sensible and well-reasoned to say about this.

QueenofHearts

Re: Another day, another school shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 06:31:04 pm »
Unless you're thinking of the National Restaurant Association, I don't understand that sentence. "NRA" and "Sensible and well-reasoned" in the same sentence does not computer.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 06:31:50 pm »
'Murrika!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 06:32:13 pm »
I'm sure the NRA will have something sensible and well-reasoned to say about this.
well.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:02:57 pm »
Sigh, yet another shooting in my state. What is it about Colorado that causes this? The amount of guns? The rural conservatives? Is it people being upset about our new gun control laws?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 07:26:28 pm »
Terrible publicity for tomorrow's "Guns Save Lives Day".

Which already was a terrible idea to begin with.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 07:55:33 pm »
I've got a better idea than arguing this argument for the 10th time. How about we find what's causing people to do this. What makes someone think it's a good idea? Last I checked it didn't happen a few decades ago. Is it because of the media's obsession with violence? Is it because there seems to be little other way to solve some problems other than violence? What's changed since the 1980s? It isn't gun laws, those have gotten stricter.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:03:40 pm »
I've got a better idea than arguing this argument for the 10th time.

S'okay, you don't have to view this thread. Meanwhile the rest of us can talk about it because it's important to us.

How about we find what's causing people to do this. What makes someone think it's a good idea? Last I checked it didn't happen a few decades ago. Is it because of the media's obsession with violence? Is it because there seems to be little other way to solve some problems other than violence? What's changed since the 1980s? It isn't gun laws, those have gotten stricter.

You can keep discrediting gun control legislation all you want, but the fact is that it's severely reduced gun crimes in just about every other developed nation where it's been tried. As for the laws getting "stricter", I don't buy it. I have to have a license to use just about every other item that has the potential to seriously harm lots of people. Guns are a notorious exception.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 08:46:06 pm »
...What?  You need a license to own a gun where I live.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 09:43:44 pm »
here in New York too.  And Oregon.  And Michigan.  And Washington...

I can keep going.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 09:55:51 pm »
I've got a better idea than arguing this argument for the 10th time. How about we find what's causing people to do this. What makes someone think it's a good idea? Last I checked it didn't happen a few decades ago. Is it because of the media's obsession with violence? Is it because there seems to be little other way to solve some problems other than violence? What's changed since the 1980s? It isn't gun laws, those have gotten stricter.

Brother, sorry to burst your bubble, but people have been senselessly killing one another with various weapons since the dawn of humanity, this is by no means anything even remotely in the same universe as a recent development in aberrant human behaviour.

As for attacks on schools, I direct you to the Bath School massacre, which occurred in 1927; the earliest marketed TV sets hit shelves in the UK in 1928.  Modern media didn't exist, then, so there's little cause to claim that the two are somehow linked.  Its not that it just started happening suddenly around the 80s, its just that we're exposed to more of it due to the immense breadth of information to which we have access in our times.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:59:55 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 10:22:15 pm »
here in New York too.  And Oregon.  And Michigan.  And Washington...

I can keep going.

Thing is, though, none of those are federal registration mandates (with exceptions such as owning fully automatic weapons). Gun control doesn't mean a whole lot when you can hop across city or state lines and get whatever was restricted in your jurisdiction.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 05:03:50 am »
Thank the gods the only one reported dead is the shooter.

Quote from: BBC
Two petrol bombs were also found inside the school.

...umhmm. I think we can upgrade this nutbag to "terrorist" now.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 06:46:05 am »
Nope.  He was white.

Ironbite-everyone knows terrorists can't be white.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 07:26:38 am »
Nope.  He was white.

Ironbite-everyone knows terrorists can't be white.

Unless they're Irish. Or is that only in the UK?