Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 275080 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #720 on: September 07, 2013, 05:57:33 pm »
Re-watched "Demolition Man", one of my favorite action films.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #721 on: September 08, 2013, 12:42:57 pm »
Elysium, for which I'll go with the good-not-great consensus. The problem is that the whole thing is just underdeveloped -
(click to show/hide)
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #722 on: September 08, 2013, 12:47:27 pm »
The first Deathly Hallows for the first time. Which means I finally saw Dobby die outside of gifs but was spared of Fred's death. But it also means I now need to find part 2 so I can cry my heart out over Freddy.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #723 on: September 08, 2013, 07:34:25 pm »
Iron Man 2.  It's not the best of the Iron Men movies but damn if it's not good character development for Tony.

Ironbite-now for Iron Man 3 to come out on DVD so I can complete the Iron Men collection.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #724 on: September 09, 2013, 06:32:20 am »
Iron Man 2.  It's not the best of the Iron Men movies but damn if it's not good character development for Tony.

Yeah but only because they basically reset his character for the sequel.

That being said, it is fucking Iron man starring fucking Robert Downey, so it's still awesome.  I once read someone on the web describe it thus, "It's like getting a blow job from someone who isn't very good at giving blow jobs.  It's not the best blowjob in the world but it's still a blowjob dammit."  I couldn't have put it better and more crassly myself.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #725 on: September 09, 2013, 06:49:31 am »

Yeah but only because they basically reset his character for the sequel.

That being said, it is fucking Iron man starring fucking Robert Downey, so it's still awesome.  I once read someone on the web describe it thus, "It's like getting a blow job from someone who isn't very good at giving blow jobs.  It's not the best blowjob in the world but it's still a blowjob dammit."  I couldn't have put it better and more crassly myself.
I don't think they did. A lot of who he is in Iron Man 3 is due to PTSD over The Avengers.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #726 on: September 09, 2013, 08:50:32 am »
I think he was talking about Iron Man 2. Either way, I don't agree: Tony's character development in Iron Man was based around his attempts to make up for his prior business selling weapons after finding them being used to commit evil. Iron Man 2 was about his ego making him try to maintain exclusive control over the Iron Man suit and his continued self-destructive behavior. Nothing got reset; it was just different aspects of his personality being explored in each movie. He certainly didn't magically become a nice, helpful guy at the end of the first one.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #727 on: September 09, 2013, 03:03:34 pm »
I think he was talking about Iron Man 2. Either way, I don't agree: Tony's character development in Iron Man was based around his attempts to make up for his prior business selling weapons after finding them being used to commit evil. Iron Man 2 was about his ego making him try to maintain exclusive control over the Iron Man suit and his continued self-destructive behavior. Nothing got reset; it was just different aspects of his personality being explored in each movie. He certainly didn't magically become a nice, helpful guy at the end of the first one.
Ahh, okay, and I completely agree. In fact, I think it's a logical continuation. Tony decides to no longer sell weapons. That means to anyone, the world police America included.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #728 on: September 09, 2013, 05:33:40 pm »
I am not going to get into a full Tony Stark psyche talk. I'm not.

With that said, Iron Man 2 is a movie I'd actually put last in best to worst for the movies. Which puts it completely out of order.

Though I am amused by the fact that Iron Man 3 is set after the Avengers which adds more experiences to feed into Tony's PTSD. And considering the fact that I have watched various Tony Starks rping on tumblr, I'm not sure they grasp the whole Tony Stark picture. Even if their Tony is set in Iron Man 2 or even Avengers there is going to be that PTSD that doesn't go away under the persona of genius billionaire playboy philanthropist. In Iron Man 3 we even see he has virtually zero control over his PTSD like some people would if they had decided to see a Goddamn shrink starting after the Middle East funvee yukyuk. And it's not like he can't afford it or he wouldn't be able to hide his visits. He's fucking Tony Stark.

...Forget what I said about not talking about the psyche of Tony Stark. Totally fucked that up. Continue.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #729 on: September 09, 2013, 11:30:27 pm »
The ABCs of Death, which is a collection of 26 short films by different directors, each of whom were assigned a letter of the alphabet, asked to come up with a word starting with that letter that related to death, and then make a movie based on their word. It sounded like a neat concept, but the majority of the shorts were either juvenile, pretentious, offensive, boring or just plain stupid.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #730 on: September 10, 2013, 06:00:16 pm »
The ABCs of Death, which is a collection of 26 short films by different directors, each of whom were assigned a letter of the alphabet, asked to come up with a word starting with that letter that related to death, and then make a movie based on their word. It sounded like a neat concept, but the majority of the shorts were either juvenile, pretentious, offensive, boring or just plain stupid.
Damn. I had put that in my Netflix queue because the premise sounded interesting. A shame that most of the shorts aren't good. I'll still check it out, just with less enthusiasm.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #731 on: September 10, 2013, 07:36:49 pm »
^^ A few of the shorts were quite good. You just have to sit through a lot of mediocrity and fucked up stuff in order to find them.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #732 on: September 11, 2013, 11:00:37 pm »
Star Trek Into Darkness.

I couldn't get over my hangups with the casting of Khan but besides that it wasn't a badly spent couple of hours.

&

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #733 on: September 12, 2013, 06:02:12 am »
Star Trek Into Darkness.

I couldn't get over my hangups with the casting of Khan but besides that it wasn't a badly spent couple of hours.

Cucumberbatch (that's his name, right?) is a damn fine choice for a villain...

...just not Kahn.

Although I think he did suprisingly well considering how miscast he was.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #734 on: September 12, 2013, 08:10:31 am »
I'm not sure my dad understood that even if the original Khan was played by a hispanic pretending to be Indian, it was still better than a white boy pretending to be Indian.

&