Author Topic: Lefties Unite!  (Read 10126 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Lefties Unite!
« on: January 19, 2012, 05:43:33 pm »
Who else here is a lefty? I'm left-handed and left-footed, but I bat and golf right-handed. I also do better in bowling if I use my left hand (I actually broke 100!), though I can use both.

Also, feel free to post your lefty horror stories. For example, I experience great frustration when I grab a pair of scissors and am initially unable to cut something because I attempt it left-handed. It was also a bit of a pain in gym class when we played baseball or softball, as I needed a glove for lefties and they never seemed to have any (well, they generally had one or two, but they were either hidden or accidentally taken by someone else.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:47:23 pm by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Lefties Unite!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:35:30 pm »
I'm right-handed for things like writing, holding utensils, etc., but I randomly use my left hand for certain things and prefer to hold a golf club, baseball bat, guitar, etc. the left-handed way. I confused the hell out of my childhood softball coach when I batted as a southpaw despite catching/throwing with my right hand. I also tend to lead with my left foot, and have better coordination when using my left hand to write/eat/etc. than most of the other righties I know. My left-handed printing is actually pretty legible.

So, can I be an honorary lefty? Or at least take on the label of "left-curious"?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:37:32 pm by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:44:00 pm »
I'm a lefty, but don't really have any horror stories. Most of everything we use every day is designed for right-handed people, and range from 'inconvenient' to 'fucking impossible' to use with the left hand. (Or dangerous, like some power tools.) You just have to adapt, which most of us do. I don't think any of my schools had any left-handed sport equipment or classroom supplies or desks--at least, I never saw any...
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:14:33 pm »
So, can I be an honorary lefty? Or at least take on the label of "left-curious"?

Hm, I suppose so, but we'll have to keep an eye on you.

Another thing that surprised me, I guess because I didn't encounter it, is the number of lefties I've talked to who said their kindergarten teachers got on their case for writing with the wrong hand. I can kind of understand it because of the vast majority being right-handed, but it still seems wrong.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:20:13 pm »
I am left-handed. I can use my right hand for a lot of things, because like Cait said, we kind of have to. But I can only use my left for writing and eating (with utensils) and the like.

I don't have very many horror stories. All I can think of is my place at the dining room table. I have to sit where no one is to the left of me or I'll bump arms with the other person (as I'm sure you lefties have experienced). So every time we go anywhere at all and we eat, my mom has like a panic attack if I don't sit in a very specific spot and will make the entire table cater to me and I hate it.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:01:24 pm »
Yours too, Jeb?

One of my arch-nemeses is the round table. NO ONE IS SAFE FROM MY ELBOW OF DOOM!!!
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:06:18 pm »
I'm a southpaw...

Not too much in the way of horror stories, but my teachers kept trying to force me to use my right hand until my dad snapped at them to "let her write with whatever fucking hand she wants, damnit!!"

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:58 pm »
Hard to tell. I'm clumsy with both hands.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 03:06:25 am »
In Art Class yesterday I had to draw pictures with my left hand.

But I'm right handed and 1/2 my left arm is fake, so it wasn't easy.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 03:17:57 am »
Wait half your left arm is fake wha?

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 03:21:17 am »
Prosthetic limb, I'm assuming.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 03:26:25 am »
Lefty over hyar!  My teachers would get on to me about writing left-handed for a fair piece...annoyed the shit outta me because, HELLO, maybe I'm just left-handed?  That, and having random people in class ask me if I'm left-handed...when they see me plainly writing with my left hand.

I use my right hand for some things, like holding a fork if I'm cutting something with a knife (I always, ALWAYS use knives left-handed), or using a mouse/trackball...but I'm mostly a lefty.

I can honestly say I inherited it, too, because my dad was a lefty, as well.  I say "was" because his dad (my granddad, AKA: Grandpa Fuckass) pretty much beat it out of him.  Now, he's still fairly well right-handed, but he's also somewhat ambidextrous.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 03:32:44 am »
Wait half your left arm is fake wha?

Well, it's real bone, but from a donor. There's also a titanium rod from near my elbow to my shoulder, and a ball replacing my shoulder bone.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 05:16:34 am »
The hell happened to you?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 06:50:11 am »
Another southpaw here!  The closest I have to a horror story is that my handwriting sucks.  I've had instructors turn my papers upside down to try and read them.  Another once said, "And now let's check out Jay's Hierglyphics.  Jeez, I can read Chinese, but this . . . !"  At work, I can barely draw a straight line on cakes.

Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"