Author Topic: 16 year old denied abortion in Nabraska for not being "mature enough"  (Read 6886 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: 16 year old denied abortion in Nabraska for not being "mature enough"
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 07:45:06 pm »
Here's some nice juxtaposition over at the Allspark which highlights some of my....problems with the PnR section of the board.

A day or so before this topic came up, we had another topic about a 17 year old Witness who was trying to get his doctors to not save his life from cancer when part of the medical procedure involved a blood transfusion.  Now, obviously he's too young to have any say in his own medical decisions but some posters were saying that the courts have no say in what this young man decides as they were forcing him to get the blood transfusion.  Now, these same posters are agreeing with the Nebraska court's decision in a startling display of, well, hypocrisy.

Ironbite-just blows my mind sometimes over there.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 08:35:05 pm »
That hospital law is called baby moses

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 01:30:35 am »
I hope something can be done to help her. Anything? Any outcries? Protests? Petitions? Surely there's more to be done with this story?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 01:47:37 am »

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 02:59:30 am »
The "the stupid whore deserves her stupid whore baby for being stupid and a whore" attitude is sickening. If the woman is mature enough to realize that having a kid will multiply her problems and put her housing situation in jeopardy. A lot of people in the pro-birth crowd say "omg that precious baby, you meanies aborted it" but how many people think about the mother? How many people think about her life, her education, her dignity? Someone very close to me recently had to end a dearly longed-for, non-viable pregnancy in order to save her own life. She tells everyone she miscarried because she's terrified of becoming a pariah. If anyone gives her the least bit of trouble, no matter if it's the local pastor or God Almighty Himself, they can plan on getting a profanity-laden piece of my mind.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 03:07:49 am »
A day or so before this topic came up, we had another topic about a 17 year old Witness who was trying to get his doctors to not save his life from cancer when part of the medical procedure involved a blood transfusion.  Now, obviously he's too young to have any say in his own medical decisions

A 17-year-old seems plenty old enough to make his own medical decisions, much as I hate the Witness stance on blood transfusions.

Unless that was a typo and the kid is actually 7, in which case it's a bit different.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 07:37:44 am »
The "the stupid whore deserves her stupid whore baby for being stupid and a whore" attitude is sickening. If the woman is mature enough to realize that having a kid will multiply her problems and put her housing situation in jeopardy. A lot of people in the pro-birth crowd say "omg that precious baby, you meanies aborted it" but how many people think about the mother? How many people think about her life, her education, her dignity? Someone very close to me recently had to end a dearly longed-for, non-viable pregnancy in order to save her own life. She tells everyone she miscarried because she's terrified of becoming a pariah. If anyone gives her the least bit of trouble, no matter if it's the local pastor or God Almighty Himself, they can plan on getting a profanity-laden piece of my mind.

The fact that people would criticize her even though it was to save her life is despicable.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 08:23:20 am »
A day or so before this topic came up, we had another topic about a 17 year old Witness who was trying to get his doctors to not save his life from cancer when part of the medical procedure involved a blood transfusion.  Now, obviously he's too young to have any say in his own medical decisions

A 17-year-old seems plenty old enough to make his own medical decisions, much as I hate the Witness stance on blood transfusions.

Unless that was a typo and the kid is actually 7, in which case it's a bit different.

No he was like 4 mouths off being 18.

Ironbite-but the argument was that the law is the law and must be followed.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 09:47:36 am »

No he was like 4 mouths off being 18.

Ironbite-but the argument was that the law is the law and must be followed.

I think depending on what state you're in, you are allowed to make certain medical decisions for yourself after a certain age, usually 15 or 16. If you want complete independence in your medical decisions then you have to get permission from a judge who rules you mature and understanding enough to continue. I think he might have to get in touch with a social worker for that kind of thing though.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 11:18:27 am »
I vaguely recall something about kids here in Alberta being able to consent to emergency medical procedures (non-emergency treatment is a different story) even if their parent refuses to give consent, in order to prevent parents from forcing their wacko beliefs onto their children, but I could be remembering incorrectly.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 11:55:14 am »

The fact that people would criticize her even though it was to save her life is despicable.
It really is, and the sad thing is that I can name half a dozen people who would scream that she's a murderer if they found out. I discovered later that her boss is hugely pro-life-for-fetuses-who-cares-about-the-mother type of person, so she stands to unfairly lose her job. The whole awful situation has me so on edge that if anyone so much as breathes the idea that abortion is a choice made lightly, I'm immediately at their throat.

Edit: the person I'm talking about is happily married and has two sons, one biological and one adopted. She works in the mental health field and her husband is a construction contractor. She's not same teenage airhead who wants to run away from her bad decisions (not that it would make poor treatment any more excusable), she's a grown woman with a family and a career.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:05:37 pm by SmokingDodongo »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 01:10:34 pm »
Also I point out that it's almost impossible for minors to qualify for maternity leave (you need to work 40 hours) so she could lose her job

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 02:37:58 pm »
Kef....I know you have trouble expressing yourself but dude, she's afraid of being kicked out of her home.

Ironbite-cause her foster parents are super fundies.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 06:10:10 pm »
Well, somebody needs to help her.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 08:08:27 pm »
Some states really do need to have their governments burn asunder and rebuilt to prevent this kind of corruption.  A good old, Dark Brotherhood-style purging.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.