Author Topic: 16 year old denied abortion in Nabraska for not being "mature enough"  (Read 6918 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Apparently this same 16 year old is mature enough to go through pregnancy.

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — In a split decision released Friday, the Nebraska Supreme Court rejected a 16-year-old ward of the state's request to waive parental consent to get an abortion, saying the girl had not shown she is sufficiently mature and well-informed enough to decide on her own whether to have an abortion.

The girl, who is not named in the opinion, was living with foster parents this year when a juvenile court terminated the parental rights of her biological parents, who had physically abused and neglected her. In a closed hearing this summer, she told Douglas County District Judge Peter Bataillon she was 10 weeks pregnant and asked for a court order allowing an abortion. She said she would not be able to financially support a child and feared she might lose her foster placement if her foster parents, whom she described as having strong religious beliefs, learned of her pregnancy.

Her attorney, Catherine Mahern of Omaha, argued that the girl didn't need anyone's consent for an abortion under the regulations of the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, which states that "if a ward decides to have an abortion, the consent of the parent(s) or Department is not required," although notification of the parents of the abortion might be required.

Nebraska law was changed in 2011 from requiring minors to inform parents of an abortion to requiring them to get the written, notarized consent of a parent or guardian. Exceptions are limited to cases of abuse by the parent or guardian, medical emergencies and instances in which the minor is sufficiently mature and well-informed to decide whether to have an abortion.

Bataillon rejected the girl's request, saying that for the purpose of her case, her foster parents would serve as her guardians — even though, under Nebraska law, the department is considered the guardian of wards. Bataillon also found that the girl had not shown she was mature enough to make the decision to seek an abortion.

In the 5-2 opinion, the majority sided with the judge, saying that the abuse exemption does not apply to the girl, finding that a pregnant minor must show, for the purpose of waiving parental consent, that any abuse occurred at the hands of a current parent or guardian. It also found the girl did not prove she was sufficiently mature or well-informed enough to decide to have an abortion.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Neb-high-court-nixes-teen-s-request-for-abortion-4869315.php
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:38:10 pm by Cataclysm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: 16 year old denied abortion in Nabraska for not being "mature enough"
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:33:31 pm »
Not mature enough to make a decision about abortion, but still mature enough to be a mother? Or will they also take the baby into custody and find a new family for him/her?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:53:08 pm »
Let me guess...the fundie foster dad is the one who got her pregnant? Because no news coming out of Nebraska surprises me any more.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 05:02:30 pm »
I don't understand what their basis is for saying she isn't mature enough to decide to have an abortion, when she is clearly mature enough to recognise that she won't be able to support a baby financially and that it could mess up her housing situation.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 05:13:23 pm »
Fundie on slut shouldnt have gotten knocked up
EW this is gross

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 05:35:02 pm »
Been discussing this at the Allspark.

Ironbite-just disappointing all around.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 05:36:53 pm »
The more you mention that place, Ibby, the more I want to join, but I wouldn't want to tread on your turf...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 05:38:46 pm »
Why not?  Skyfail's over there but he's been banned from the Politics and Religion section on the grounds he's a cunt.

Ironbite-fun place even if you're not that much into Transformers like I am.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 06:20:02 pm »
This is appalling. It sounds like they want to make her keep it to teach her a lesson. Because that's mature, and doesn't harm anyone else in the process.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 06:32:56 pm »
Well I can assure you both her and the child will most like have a shitty life in grinding poverty. Did you know something like 70% of the prison population in the US spent time in the foster and adoption system? Shows how fucked the system is.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 07:17:29 pm »
Doesn't Nebraska have baby moses laws so she can give up the child easy  Although many times it is mistaken for child abandonment

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 07:21:12 pm »
Why not?  Skyfail's over there but he's been banned from the Politics and Religion section on the grounds he's a cunt.

Wait, you're telling me that a Transformers fandom forum has their own section on Politics and Religion?

>_>

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 07:30:02 pm »
Doesn't Nebraska have baby moses laws so she can give up the child easy  Although many times it is mistaken for child abandonment

I thought the law was that if a baby is left at a hospital, fire house, or police station, they won't ask questions and won't search for the mother.  I heard that it's meant to encourage girls afraid of stigma to not leave unwanted babies in dumpsters or other places to die.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 07:37:28 pm »

Wait, you're telling me that a Transformers fandom forum has their own section on Politics and Religion?

>_>

There's also a pretty good non-Transformers section of the board with like 4 different sub-forums in it.

Ironbite-and Beast Mayhem...but you don't wanna go there.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 07:39:25 pm »
So, basically, teenagers are old enough to make medical decisions, unless said decision involves a uterus. Got it.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)