Author Topic: 10 Things Americas don't know about America  (Read 13499 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: 10 Things Americas don't know about America
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 12:23:52 pm »
Yeah, fellow colonials are alright. Tolerable, even.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 01:52:02 pm »
Yeah, fellow colonials are alright. Tolerable, even.

Fun facts:

Canada holds the records for highest attendance...

...in North America for a cricket match.
...outside of Australia for an Australian Rules Football match.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 10:55:56 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that didn't apply to most modern, Western civilizations.  We all eat processed crap.  I eat processed crap.  I KNOW I'm eating processed crap when I eat it.  Thing is...can't really say I give much of a shit.  I do try to be healthy, but, ya know what?  I'm going to die, one day.  I wanna extract every ounce of pleasure outta life that I reasonably can, and sometimes, that means eating that tasty, unhealthy, processed crap.  Other times, it means going on walks or fucking.  I'm not wasting this fuckin life, I've seen that happen to far, FAR too many people.
That's pretty much my mindset. Everything's trying to kill me, so I'm not going to ruin my life trying not to die.

What if oxygen is poisonous, but it just takes about 80 years to kill you?

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 11:19:49 pm »
Try holding your breath and telling me how long you live.

(Just kidding, don't seriously do that)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 01:32:18 am »
Except Oxygen is kind of poisonous. It is free radical oxygen (a necessary biproduct of the actually using oxygen to burn glucose in our body that harms are cells and eventually causes ageing and cancer.) Just like you need water to live but can still drown in the stuff. Life is dangerous and it fucking gets you in the end. Which is why in the meantime I make sure I leave everyone with a small piece of my DNA whenever I can.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 01:37:13 am »

Well, that's because you need nitrogen to breathe. Obviously. Now oxygen on the other hand...

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 02:01:48 am »
Just like you need water to live but can still drown in the stuff.

Incidentally, drinking too much water can also kill you. Pretty much everything can kill you, actually.

Good times.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 02:07:50 am »
So basically Everything Is Trying To Kill You is Truth In Television? *shot*
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 02:13:15 am »
Which is why in the meantime I make sure I leave everyone with a small piece of my DNA whenever I can.

...Ewww.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 03:06:11 am »
Which is why in the meantime I make sure I leave everyone with a small piece of my DNA whenever I can.

...Ewww.

Don't pretend you don't want it.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 08:11:52 am »

...Ewww.

Don't pretend you don't want it.

7+ billion people?  Your poor body...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 02:44:01 pm »
Actually, yes. Chocolate is chock full of lead due to where it's grown. Sitting for any period of time has been found to increase your risk heart disease and diabetes, just about every food is unhealthy and has tons of chemicals, and even your own body will kill you.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 02:53:07 pm »

Well, that's because you need nitrogen to breathe. Obviously. Now oxygen on the other hand...

Easy enough to test! Who volunteers to sped the next 80 years in an airtight chamber full of nitrogen and no oxygen?

Come on, guys. It's for science.
Σא

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 02:54:29 pm »
Actually, yes. Chocolate is chock full of lead due to where it's grown. Sitting for any period of time has been found to increase your risk heart disease and diabetes, just about every food is unhealthy and has tons of chemicals, and even your own body will kill you.

Even hospitals and doctors' offices can give you a life-threatening MRSA infection.

Life is metal as fuck.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 06:21:24 am »
I have to say, this one strikes me as a little bit bullshit.
1. FEW PEOPLE ARE IMPRESSED BY US

Unless you’re speaking with a real estate agent or a prostitute, chances are they’re not going to be excited that you’re American. It’s not some badge of honor we get to parade around. Yes, we had Steve Jobs and Thomas Edison, but unless you actually are Steve Jobs or Thomas Edison (which is unlikely) then most people around the world are simply not going to care. There are exceptions of course. And those exceptions are called English and Australian people. Whoopdie-fucking-doo.

As Americans, we’re brought up our entire lives being taught that we’re the best, we did everything first and that the rest of the world follows our lead. Not only is this not true, but people get irritated when you bring it to their country with you. So don’t.
I have no idea where this guy's getting his information from, and I can't speak for the Brits, but I can safely say that most Australians look down their noses at Americans. Not to any American tourist's face, naturally, but the attitude is very much there. The more recent reputation they've picked up as the land of the disturbingly frequent school shootings hasn't exactly helped matters.

I'm British, but don't I look up to Americans, and most of the people I know that that have been there just think Americans are weird.

As for knowing nothing about the rest of the world, I couldn't point out Iraq on a map. Also my dad genuinely asked me once if beige was a colour in America... so ignorance goes both ways.