Author Topic: Another important announcement  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Another important announcement
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 01:51:27 pm »
I find it amusing that wars and turmoil are totally cool as long as "DER RIGHTFUL HEIR!" takes the throne afterwards.

Meanwhile a month or two of having a temporary government before electing a new one (or in case of simply removal/death of a president, having the vice-president or equivalent rule instead) is somehow proof that democracy doesn't work.

Really, have you ever seen politicians die during their term or get kicked out? Because both have happened in Finland. Heck, Kekkonen dying was no problem for democracy at all (long story) and several parliament members have been kicked out from their job and replaced due to corruption or shenanigans.

But when you do that to a king the line of succession breaks. Even the best case scenario is proof that inherited position of king has failed. If the king had been from a "better" line or if they had divine mandate then why did someone like that get the position? And if they are no better than the average mortal then why should their kids get to be the next rulers? At least the Swedish kings of old were elected democratically (yeah, they were basically a "president for life" in all but name) and until one of them decided to make his son the next king and take away democracy for a few centuries they really had the best way to handle monarchy the planet has seen. ...And even then term limits that democracy (usually) has is an even better improvement on that.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 03:17:21 pm »
I find it amusing that wars and turmoil are totally cool as long as "DER RIGHTFUL HEIR!" takes the throne afterwards.

Meanwhile a month or two of having a temporary government before electing a new one (or in case of simply removal/death of a president, having the vice-president or equivalent rule instead) is somehow proof that democracy doesn't work.

Really, have you ever seen politicians die during their term or get kicked out? Because both have happened in Finland. Heck, Kekkonen dying was no problem for democracy at all (long story) and several parliament members have been kicked out from their job and replaced due to corruption or shenanigans.

But when you do that to a king the line of succession breaks. Even the best case scenario is proof that inherited position of king has failed. If the king had been from a "better" line or if they had divine mandate then why did someone like that get the position? And if they are no better than the average mortal then why should their kids get to be the next rulers? At least the Swedish kings of old were elected democratically (yeah, they were basically a "president for life" in all but name) and until one of them decided to make his son the next king and take away democracy for a few centuries they really had the best way to handle monarchy the planet has seen. ...And even then term limits that democracy (usually) has is an even better improvement on that.

Their kids should be the next rulers because it is part of the nation’s legal structure. Overthrowing a bad King and putting his son on the throne sets a precedent that the Kings must be good rulers or otherwise they’ll be overthrown. More often than not, the succession of the throne will be stable.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 03:19:16 pm »
^Which can be an issue, but generally don't result in civil wars.  Royal succession crisis however caused civil wars countless times.  Avoiding civil wars is a far higher priority then whatever bullshit you want.

Anyway DIRECT QUESTION

What will you do if this guy you think should be king doesn't agree with your ideology and wants nothing to do with monarchy?

Well specifics in succession laws can prevent succession crisis is. And if this guy does not want to pursue his rightful throne then a future grandson of the direct line should be kidnapped and raised to want to pursue the throne.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 04:33:00 pm »
If Jacob actually got his mad little scheme underway it would have been not one but several kidnappings as he trashed around the internet "finding" Troo Hires to the Frone. There's the makings of a great slapstick comedy here!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 04:49:22 pm »
You keep forgetting who the lawful monarch of the Commonwealth Realms is, as established by the Act of Settlement.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 06:27:31 pm »
As I said before it is so rare that the chance of it causing a Republic to fall is equally as likely.
As you yourself have admitted, not a single democratic government has ever been toppled because one guy put his pee pee where he wasn't supposed to. Which is more than can be said for your fantasy kingdom. As such, the former is the objectively superiour option.

As I said before, in this universe, not a single monarchy toppled over a cuckolding showing how rare it is.

By your own admission, it's a legitimate risk to your fantasy empire. That makes it inferiour, regardless of rarity. End of story.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 08:31:26 pm »
As I said before it is so rare that the chance of it causing a Republic to fall is equally as likely.
As you yourself have admitted, not a single democratic government has ever been toppled because one guy put his pee pee where he wasn't supposed to. Which is more than can be said for your fantasy kingdom. As such, the former is the objectively superiour option.

As I said before, in this universe, not a single monarchy toppled over a cuckolding showing how rare it is.

By your own admission, it's a legitimate risk to your fantasy empire. That makes it inferiour, regardless of rarity. End of story.

But there are probably parallel universes where Republics fell over a cuckold.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 08:43:42 pm »

Oh, I'm sure there are. In fact, there are probably even parallel universes where you're not full of shit.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 08:44:43 pm »

And there are fantasy universes where the Daleks have taken over yet I remain unconcerned about incursions by squawking, sociopathic pepper pots

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 08:21:07 am »

Oh, I'm sure there are. In fact, there are probably even parallel universes where you're not full of shit.

No Jacob being full of shit is pretty much a universal constant.

Ironbite-I checked.

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2018, 02:57:17 pm »
I can't think of any other so-called "important announcements" that I've found less important than these.