Author Topic: Ice-Hockey thread  (Read 5312 times)

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
Re: Ice-Hockey thread
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 04:07:35 am »
Hockey, Nightwish and Mertaranta. That video rocks.  ;D

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:14 am »
I'm Canadian. Liking hockey is practically a legal requirement. I'm not really an enthusiast, but I do enjoy watching the games, both on TV and live. Admittedly, I tend to pay more attention to the playoffs than the regular season.

I root for The Flames (of course), The Redwings and The Canucks, in that order. My arch nemeses are The Oilers (another legal requirement, at least for Calgarians) and Tampa Bay (for beating us in the Stanley Cup finals back in 2004).

Also, calling it "ice hockey" is blasphemy. Every good Canadian knows that it's just "hockey"; let the street and field varieties have the modifiers. ;)
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 08:00:18 am »
I'm Canadian. Liking hockey is practically a legal requirement.

"Practically?" So all this time I've been thinking it was an ACTUAL legal requirement was wrong? :P

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 11:34:16 am »
LET'S GO CAPS!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »
>Finland is 2-0 in their 2 games played in the World Championships right now, winning both games by a score of 1-0.
>The LA Kings sweep the St. Louis Blues in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs
>Vancouver, Boston knocked out in the first round

Good thing I haven't bet any money on the outcome of games this hockey season, I would have lost a ton of cash.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »
Awkward moment in the Slovakia-USA game where an American has his shot saved when it looked easier to score. Awkward because it was Paul Stastny - his parents are Slovakian.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 01:15:22 pm »
One thing I notice looking at the photos from the WW games in Helsinki is a ton of empty seats. I remember when the ticket sales first started online, the prices were like 180 euros. When the most someone has to pay to see HIFK play in Helsinki is about 40 euros, the amount of empty seats isn't that surprising. I heard they cut the prices some, but when you have people protesting the prices the organizers should know that they really messed up in setting the ticket prices so high to begin with. Also, apparently people have been watching games on that YouTube channel set up by the IIHF despite it being blocked over here and that annoyed TV companies.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 05:15:06 pm »
Well considering the same two nations cohost again next year, there's no excuse for getting it wrong again.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 08:17:27 pm »
Hockey fan here too.  Long time Boston Bruins fan.  Can remember going to games as a little kid.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 01:58:15 pm »
Well, in 20 minutes the Sweden Vs. Czech Republic game will start, and the winner of that game will face Slovakia in the semi-finals, Slovakia having overcome Canada in a close game (4-3). Finland also won a close game against the USA team (3-2) the winning goal being scored in the last 10 seconds, and will move on to face Russia on Saturday.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 02:17:16 pm »
Russia are just on fire at the moment, I can see them winning comfortably against a quitely effective Slovakia team.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 02:48:51 pm »
Yeah, Russa-Slovakia for tommorows gold medal game :( I hope Slovakia goes all the way, and that Finland at least pulls out a bronze medal from this tournament.