Author Topic: Another thing Niam should know  (Read 4937 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Another thing Niam should know
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 04:42:38 pm »
Because democracy is vastly superiour to a hereditary dictatorship. If the English royals were anything more than a glorified tourist attraction, I'd if anything be passionate about getting rid of the pricks entirely.

Precisely.

The continued existence of the monarchy as an emaciated institution reminds us of how long and hard the fight for democracy was.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 05:22:38 pm »
Because democracy is vastly superiour to a hereditary dictatorship. If the English royals were anything more than a glorified tourist attraction, I'd if anything be passionate about getting rid of the pricks entirely.

But your English ancestors served the rightful Kings of England. You probably have many who fought for them, and maybe even fought for Harold Godwinson in the Battle of Hastings. The monarchy is therefore part of your English heritage. It is part of mine too since I have English ancestry which is why I am so obsessed with the true heir.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 05:25:10 pm by Jacob Harrison »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 05:31:05 pm »

But your English ancestors served the rightful Kings of England. You probably have many who fought for them, and maybe even fought for Harold Godwinson in the Battle of Hastings. The monarchy is therefore part of your English heritage. It is part of mine too since I have English ancestry which is why I am so obsessed with the true heir.

Yes, well I also have a lot of Irish and Balkan ancestry. A lot more than I have English, for that matter. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to run around throwing pipe bombs for Jesus just because my ancestors were most likely into it, now does it?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:17:49 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 05:48:16 pm »
I like the monarchy as it is now. They're a head of state with no real power who can basically present a nice public "face" for the UK and the Commonwealth to the outside world. They're basically Britain's PR firm, and they're doing great.

Can you imagine how much better we in the US would look if, instead of having the flaming pile of orange-haired shit representing America to the world, we instead had a mild-mannered, smiling diplomatic dude whose only job was to represent America and not screw up? Man, we need to get ourselves a powerless King, we'd look way better.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 05:52:02 pm »
I wonder why Tolpuddle Martyr and Art Vandelay are not passionate the rightful heir to England is like I am. They are Australian, so they obviously have English ancestry, so who is on the English throne should be something they should be passionate about.
My dear wifey, when she was with us, had an Italian mum and a Polish dad but was born in Sheffield. She was English, she was born there, I wasn't because I was born in an East Melbourne hospital a stones throw from the Melbourne Cricket Ground. I'm Aussie, that's how that stuff works.

As for my ancestors, yeah I am kinda interested in their stories but not the snotty toffs that lived in castles up the road. That said if I have an ancestor thst turns out to be a lord I'll have a good laugh about it and if I'm the rightful heir to the throne of England I'll abdicate in favour of actual British federalism and a British Republic, ta.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 06:14:50 pm »
I like the monarchy as it is now. They're a head of state with no real power who can basically present a nice public "face" for the UK and the Commonwealth to the outside world. They're basically Britain's PR firm, and they're doing great.

Can you imagine how much better we in the US would look if, instead of having the flaming pile of orange-haired shit representing America to the world, we instead had a mild-mannered, smiling diplomatic dude whose only job was to represent America and not screw up? Man, we need to get ourselves a powerless King, we'd look way better.

Yeah but then you'd have Prime Minister Paul Ryan.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 06:56:17 pm »
I wonder why Tolpuddle Martyr and Art Vandelay are not passionate the rightful heir to England is like I am. They are Australian, so they obviously have English ancestry, so who is on the English throne should be something they should be passionate about.
My dear wifey, when she was with us, had an Italian mum and a Polish dad but was born in Sheffield. She was English, she was born there, I wasn't because I was born in an East Melbourne hospital a stones throw from the Melbourne Cricket Ground. I'm Aussie, that's how that stuff works.

As for my ancestors, yeah I am kinda interested in their stories but not the snotty toffs that lived in castles up the road. That said if I have an ancestor thst turns out to be a lord I'll have a good laugh about it and if I'm the rightful heir to the throne of England I'll abdicate in favour of actual British federalism and a British Republic, ta.

If I discovered that you were the rightful heir, I would kidnap a relative of yours in line of the succession since your childless and raise him to pursue the thrones. Do you have any nephews?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:57:57 pm by Jacob Harrison »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 07:28:12 pm »

If I discovered that you were the rightful heir, I would kidnap a relative of yours in line of the succession since your childless and raise him to pursue the thrones. Do you have any nephews?

I'd almost like to see you try.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 10:16:34 pm »

Said nephews all live in Eveleigh St in the Sydney suburb of Redfern and will only come out if you show the secret symbol-wear a white robe and a hood. Let me know how it goes.

Specifically you have to wear Spanish Capirote get up, they're all good Catholics-it's essential.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:22:20 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2018, 08:00:06 pm »

I know you're trying to describe that as a bad thing, but that would still be far preferable to President Trump.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2018, 09:46:07 pm »

I know you're trying to describe that as a bad thing, but that would still be far preferable to President Trump.

Well, the thing about a constitutional monarchy, while it is better so long as most everyone respects the way the system is supposed to work, a Prime Minister has substantially more de facto power than a presidential system's President has de jure (or even both de jure and de facto) power.

Now, if you also ditched the dumpster fire of an electoral system that is FPTP and moved to an actual proportional representation system (hint: preferential ballot systems are not, look at Ireland)...