Author Topic: "Frozen" Racism Controversy: Seriously?  (Read 15792 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: "Frozen" Racism Controversy: Seriously?
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2014, 01:07:09 pm »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there'd be backlash if Disney were to do a movie supporting arranged marriages, and rightfully so.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2014, 01:30:23 pm »
no i mean modern india
most of the time they meet and liek each other
I dunno maybe im talking out my ass
forget i said anything
hides

Assuming you are saying what  I think you're saying (which is hard because your post is basically a haiku to illiteracy and incomprehensibility) but you will find that those modern 'arranged marriages' aren't really arranged marriages. In that the prospective couple meets, courts and decides independently on whether or not they get married. They are really now more introduced marriages, just instead of using e-harmony their aunts know each other.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2014, 12:31:33 am »
Basically that sorry
hides

IM NOT SMART
stop being critical of my grammar

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2014, 07:23:20 am »
Mulan II had an anti movie and it was awful and most people in India are quite happy so maybe they could pull it off?
...It's a straight to DVD Disney sequel. Of course it's going to be shite.

Not to mention, the idea that someone else has the right to decide who you marry is infinitely more repugnant than anything in any existing Disney movie. It makes the usual damsel in distress of the original Disney films seem outright progressive in comparison.

Be fair.  Mulan II was a LOT better than many other direct-to-video sequels *coughcoughReturnOfJafarcoughcough* and, up to the deus ex ending, makes sense as a sequel.  The real problem was that the writers couldn't figure out a way out of the sad ending they'd set up.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2014, 12:36:46 pm »
Arranged marriage issues aside, a Disney movie set in India would be really cool. I'd love to see an Indian Disney princess.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 12:44:34 pm »
Mulan II had an anti movie and it was awful and most people in India are quite happy so maybe they could pull it off?

Not to mention, the idea that someone else has the right to decide who you marry is infinitely more repugnant than anything in any existing Disney movie. It makes the usual damsel in distress of the original Disney films seem outright progressive in comparison.

Be fair.  Mulan II was a LOT better than many other direct-to-video sequels *coughcoughReturnOfJafarcoughcough* and, up to the deus ex ending, makes sense as a sequel.  The real problem was that the writers couldn't figure out a way out of the sad ending they'd set up.

Aladdin and the King of Thieves holds a special place in my heart because of this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6DIWqh6JUQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6DIWqh6JUQ</a>
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 01:09:52 pm »
It's not about racism per se; it's about the fact that very few Disney films star POC.  When kids have over 100 films to choose from, and only 12 of them star people who aren't white, it can feel like "I'm not normal because I don't look like those people."

I had that same feeling with Barbie as a kid.  I felt like my brown hair and eyes were "ugly" because they didn't look ike my dolls.

This is more of the primary concern. To me the problem is that Disney (perhaps unwittingly) thinks that a character of color cannot find sympathy among American audience, despite the fact that America's demographic is shifting away from the WASP arch-type. I'm fine with the lead in Frozen being white, but you could add some color too.

To their credit, I think Disney tried to do that with The Princess and the Frog, but unfortunately it was in a medium that isn't copping well with the 3D fad.

This is my opinion on the whole Frozen fiasco.

As for Sami being POC, well, that's a bit hard to prove considering that real Sami people come in a fairly wide variety of physical appearances. I also think it's a very US-centric view of race and racism, since racism works a bit differently in Europe. People who are considered "white" in America (such as Irish Travelers) are not be considered "white" (or the closest thing they have to "white") in Europe. You do not have to be part of an American-defined racial minority in order to be subjected to ethnic discrimination, whether in America or anywhere else (though from what I've read it does seem much more extreme in Europe than in the US).

Racialization is something people don't understand is also cultural relative. They also don't understand that being indigenous does not mean "not white". I mean these are indigenous people:

The other problem is that people prose indigenous struggle as a white vs. people of color problem when that is not the case across the world. When you have places like Thailand where the Thai/Siamese are not indigenous people, it becomes evident that people only think of race in a very American context.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 06:29:29 pm »

I've never seen Mulan II, but I actually really loved Return of Jafar.

Though I think as far as good direct-to-video sequels go... Lion King II is my absolute favorite.

Then again I've been as much a Lion King fanboy as I have a Star Fox fanboy.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 06:34:24 pm »
to be blunt the question is would it make a difference if say their bfs were black?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 06:37:11 pm »
Racialization is something people don't understand is also cultural relative. They also don't understand that being indigenous does not mean "not white".

It's kind of hilarious when people try to paint "the natives" as being universally brown-skinned. Where the hell did they think white people came from? Did they just get teleported in by a bunch of really racist aliens?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2014, 07:48:14 pm »
Racialization is something people don't understand is also cultural relative. They also don't understand that being indigenous does not mean "not white".

It's kind of hilarious when people try to paint "the natives" as being universally brown-skinned. Where the hell did they think white people came from? Did they just get teleported in by a bunch of really racist aliens?

There is that theory that white people are descended from aliens.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 07:52:44 pm »
And immediately, Katy Perry's E.T. music video comes to mind.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2014, 12:41:42 am »
Tying back to Bambi's post though, remember that what is or isn't "white" in Europe is different from the United States. Remember that not too long ago Irish and Finns weren't white according to Western European standards.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2014, 08:08:24 am »
The USA's (to at least US Tumblr users) way of simplifying racism down to skin colour always makes me laugh.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2014, 09:59:48 am »
The USA's (to at least US Tumblr users) way of simplifying racism down to skin colour always makes me laugh.

It's not even skin colour, it's White vs Non-White. Brown people being racist to people being a different shade of brown, what's that lol?