Author Topic: Head Mates  (Read 5282 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Head Mates
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 01:50:51 am »
I'm not quite sure what pokephilia has to do with headmates...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 02:11:41 am »
I'm not quite sure what pokephilia has to do with headmates...
Well, its her imaginary (boy)friend, and the discussion of this topic is... imaginary friends and also being unable to distinguish fantasy from reality, leading to a socially stunted lifestyle based on those so-called "friends." (And yes, this includes imaginary boyfriends and girlfriends too.)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 02:26:57 am »
Okeedokee, now that makes sense :D
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 10:30:34 pm »
Wait--this person has somehow managed to pick out ONE Linoone from all the other Linoone....and....ow, my brain!
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 01:32:24 am »
When it comes to things going on inside the head, it's very easy to convince yourself they're real.  A lot of the posers have probably convinced themselves their "headmates" are real.  They're not insane, in the sense that there's something really wrong with their brain chemistry.  They're just so desperate to have something special about them that they come up with shit like this.

When I was in middle school, I had a friend who'd read too much Anne Rice and thought he was a vampire.  Same sort of shit.  The problem now is that they can find people who will reinforce their delusion and tell them they're perfectly right.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 06:37:11 am »
There was an interesting essay I read (you can find if you browse wtfsocialjustice long enough) written by someone with an actual disorder explaining why these multiple/headmate/otherkin communities on tumblr can be really dangerous to people with actual mental problems.  Basically, they (poes, speshul teens) surround these people (actually mentally ill, especially newcomers) with positive reinforcement and validate their delusions.  These communities will insist that there's nothing wrong with the person, that it's everyone else with the problem.  The OP said that this can convince an ill person that their delusions are reality and, due to being constantly surrounded by people reinforcing that idea, may never experience the moment of clarity needed for them to realize that they may need to seek help and treatment.  The OP said they started treatment before tumblr was ever a thing, but they're convinced that, had they been not diagnosed and not medicated at the time these tumblr communities became huge, they never would have sought the help they needed.