Author Topic: New film pisses off Christians  (Read 4981 times)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
Re: New film pisses off Christians
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 04:27:18 pm »
John--"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God,"
It would seem that John has not yet heard about the bird.

But I thought everyone knew about the bird.

...What? I can't lose a Trashmen reference to the Great Forum Bug of 2012.

No. No you can’t.
-A Pen Name

Art Vandelay

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 04:37:47 pm »
It would seem that in fact some people have not yet heard about the bird. I for one dream of a world in which everybody's heard that the bird is the word.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 06:47:59 pm »
You will all die.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 10:40:20 pm »
It would seem that in fact some people have not yet heard about the bird.

Well, they told me that everybody’s heard about it. I thought I was the last to know.
-A Pen Name

Offline czechmate

• Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 04:06:51 am »
I can certainly understand why they're so upset.  After all, the virgin birth is one of the cornerstones of the Christian faith.  Never mind that it really makes no sense a theological standpoint and that it causes several contradictions with "prophecy", other scriptures, and history, Mary just has to be a virgin to show that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Ghost.

Now for someone to come along with the idea that Mary was raped and that Jesus was the illegitimate offspring of (gasp) a Roman soldier, is not going to be an easy pill for them to swallow.  Just look at history.  Anytime anything has come along that goes against what they think the Bible tells them, it takes a long time for that to be accepted, and then only after years and years of irrefutable proof.  And even then, there are some that still won't accept it (can you say Flat Earth Society, for example?)

And just what "proof" are these biblical experts that extend this notion going to offer.  There's not one shred of verifiable evidence that Jesus ever existed to begin with.  How are they going to verifiiably show who the baby-daddy was?
Again, a deliberate mistranslation. In the Old Hebrew texts the word for "young girl (of child-bearing age)" was mistranslated into Greek as "virgin".
There is nothing that pisses off Christians more, than having the truth shoved in their faces.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 10:08:26 am »
I can certainly understand why they're so upset.  After all, the virgin birth is one of the cornerstones of the Christian faith.  Never mind that it really makes no sense a theological standpoint and that it causes several contradictions with "prophecy", other scriptures, and history, Mary just has to be a virgin to show that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Ghost.

Now for someone to come along with the idea that Mary was raped and that Jesus was the illegitimate offspring of (gasp) a Roman soldier, is not going to be an easy pill for them to swallow.  Just look at history.  Anytime anything has come along that goes against what they think the Bible tells them, it takes a long time for that to be accepted, and then only after years and years of irrefutable proof.  And even then, there are some that still won't accept it (can you say Flat Earth Society, for example.)

And just what "proof" are these biblical experts that extend this notion going to offer.  There's not one shred of verifiable evidence that Jesus ever existed to begin with.  How are they going to verifiiably show who the baby-, was?
Again, a deliberate mistranslation. In the Old Hebrew texts the word for "young girl (of child-bearing age)" was mistranslated into Greek as "virgin".
There is nothing that pisses off Christians more, than having the truth shoved in their faces.

Oh, I'm well aware that it is a mistranslation.  The original verse wouldn't make.a bit of sense if it weren't.  That was the point of my fitst post.  Christians have it so ingrained in their minds that Mary was a virgin regardless of how ridiculous it is that anything short of that has to be a lie.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 10:04:03 am »
Well, there's something else too I don't want people to forget. Unless I'm grossly misreading the OP, the movie in question is a work of fiction. The story is made up. It's pretend, make believe, a flight of fancy, pulled out of the ass of whoever wrote it, not real. I think it's very telling when church people get all up in arms over nonsense like this. And they did it for Dogma, Dan Brown's books turned to movies, Mel Gibson's Christ movie. Anyways, as the picking apart of key parts of the bible continues, remember what spawned (or respawned) this whole thing is what someone thought is an interesting story.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »
Well, there's something else too I don't want people to forget. Unless I'm grossly misreading the OP, the movie in question is a work of fiction. The story is made up. It's pretend, make believe, a flight of fancy, pulled out of the ass of whoever wrote it, not real. I think it's very telling when church people get all up in arms over nonsense like this. And they did it for Dogma, Dan Brown's books turned to movies, Mel Gibson's Christ movie. Anyways, as the picking apart of key parts of the bible continues, remember what spawned (or respawned) this whole thing is what someone thought is an interesting story.
The article says that the claim is supported by theologians, though it fails to specify any particular information they're using.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.