Author Topic: No long goodbyes.  (Read 73594 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Re: No long goodbyes.
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 08:42:03 am »
*hug* Goodbye, Sandman. I'm sure you've left the world a better place than you found it.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 10:50:08 am »
Farewell, Sandman.  Know that you have touched many lives, and left many people better than you found them.

May the pipes ever play your refrain

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 04:38:30 pm »
I have no words.  Everyone here has said everything I've wanted to say.  Over the years you've been moderator, you've earned my respect and surprised me with your wisdom on many occasions.  I'll carry those memories for as long as I can. 

Thank you for staying as long as you have, and I'll remember you happily, even if I've never met you in person.

Cheers.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline myusername

• Bishop
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2012, 10:58:38 am »
Just seen this and damn. Don't know quite what to say, but I respect you a lot and always have. Words seem a little bit inadequate right now.

Bye, Sandman.

shykid

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2012, 03:41:19 pm »
Sandman,

I know you barely know me, and I know you said no long sad goodbyes, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't teary-eyed as I am typing this. I just want you to know that I've I always admired you and found your posts extremely eloquent and thoughtful. You are one of the nicest, most-level headed, and all around well-rounded people I know. I really, truly mean every single word of that, and it'd nag at me if I never told you. Other than that, all I can say is that I wish you the best. Words totally fail me right now.

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
  • I'm not naked I'm Tattooed
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »
Sandman,

I will miss your wit and wisdom.
I hope you are able to enjoy your final days.
Take care my friend.
Twitter Soldier in sour armor tumblr

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2012, 08:15:02 am »
The board won't be the same without you.  I hope you make the most out of your final days.  I may not believe in an afterlife, but your memories will live on with all of us.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2012, 12:09:21 am »
For three or four days now I've been trying to think of what to say to this and I'm still at a loss. I guess there's too much to say and not enough words to say it with. I've always hated the finality of "goodbye."

Sandman, you and I didn't know each other very well and I think that is going to be a matter of regret for me because if anyone is worth knowing well it’s you. You've always been able to give us good advice when it was needed, been there to calm our tempers when they were unjustly perked, shown us some subtle logical flaw in our arguments so we can learn from our mistakes and have been like a father figure to a great many of us. Every time you would make a post it was always well reasoned, well spoken and always a pleasure to read. The knowledge and wisdom you've shared with us has helped to improve us as humans. You've taught many of us new ways of thinking and of looking at things. And much of the injustices we see in the anger and indignity of youth, you've been able to see through the lens of time and experience and help us to understand that as bad as things are they've been worse and they will get better.

We've rarely spoken directly but you have still earned a great deal of my respect. I'm glad to be able to say that it hasn't been misplaced. And while we've never met in person, there are very few members of these forums whom you didn't touch in some way and always for the better. I doubt it would be unfair to say that in your life, you've lived more than most others can ever dream of. I hope that you're able to look back on it without regrets.

There is a large part of me that wants to urge you to resume treatment. Maybe it’s selfish of me to want that, but I trust that you're making the decision that you know is best. But I have to agree, no one should ever spend the end of their time in misery.

I want you to know that there are only a handful of people whom I know of that I can say are a credit to their religion and beliefs. While there are many Christians out there, few of them have been able to show me what it means to truly be Christ-like as you have. Others profess their faith from the rooftops. You haven't done that, you were too busy living it and serving as an example to others. It’s because of those select few people, of which you are one, that I can't bring myself to paint all Christians with the same brush I do the fundies we spend so much time mocking.

The chance of you being anointed the next King of Israel is slim, but I think 1 Samuel 16:7 applies to you. God looks at hearts and we don't need divine wisdom to be able to see that yours is a good one.

I can't say what may happen in the future; I don't know if I'll forever be an atheist or come to some spiritual belief but I would like you to know you will remain in my thoughts. And while I don't know what, if anything, awaits us after our final breath, I just can't see it being anything short of bliss for a man like you. Anything short of that would be an injustice.

I admit I want this message to be longer because I know that there will be things left unsaid that should be given voice. I know they're out there but I just do not know how to say them. You've made an impact on us, Sandman. Your presence will be sorely missed and the community we've built here and the world at large will be that much emptier without you.

Sithidh Criosda leat.
(Peace of Christ be with you.)
Slàn leat.
(Goodbye.)
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 11:20:52 pm »
I'll see you again someday, Sandman. Godspeed and God bless, my brother Scot.

I love you, and I hope the song of our homeland carries you where you need to go.

O flower of Scotland
When will we see your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

The hills are bare now
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now
Which those so dearly held
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

Those days are passed now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again
That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

I love you, Sandman. Goodbye.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:22:57 pm by RinellaWasHere »
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2012, 07:56:21 am »
I have come to appreciate your posts on this board as an example of wisdom and constructiveness. I don't know you as well as I now wish I would, but I am glad to have known you at all.

Be well, sandman.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:58 am »
I'm glad to have known you, even at a remove.  May you find peace.

Thank you, my friend.
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 09:39:08 am »
Sandman, you were one of the first people I liked when I came here, and I have never, ever had cause to doubt or regret that. I have always thought of you as one of the wisest and kindest people on this forum, and it will be poorer without you. I wish I could have been able to know you longer, and I truly hope that your next weeks are happy ones. There's a line in North and South (the television version, not the book, which I think is an improvement on the source text): "Not many men can plan their exit from this world in such a leisurely way." So that's how I'd like to think of you.

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 08:26:59 pm »
Cease to inquire what the future has in store, and take as a gift whatever the day brings forth.

Horace
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Bender_Rodríguez

• Bishop
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2012, 05:05:39 pm »
In all the years I lurked here you were one of the best.  I always enjoyed your comments because they were so well thought out.  I hope the remainder of your life is peaceful and I'm glad you're going out on your own terms.  Everybody else has said everything there is to be said.  Thank you for being a vital part of this community.  Godspeed and good luck my friend.

Offline Paradox

• Neonate
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2012, 10:47:23 pm »
Godspeed Sandman.  It's been real.
The Man of Galilee, the Carpenter, the workingman who became the revolutionary agitator of his day soon found himself to be an undesirable citizen in the eyes of the ruling knaves and they had him crucified.