Author Topic: ICJ to Japan: Stop Whaling  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
ICJ to Japan: Stop Whaling
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:43:13 pm »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/court-rule-japanese-whaling-23123374

The future of whaling in Japan was thrown into doubt after the International Court of Justice ruled Monday that the nation's annual hunt in the Antarctic was not really for scientific purposes — as Tokyo had claimed — and ordered it halted.

The ruling was a major victory for whaling opponents, as it ends for now one of the world's biggest whale hunts, for minkes in the icy Southern Ocean. The judgment was praised by Australia, which brought the case against Japan in 2010, and by environmentalists, who have been seeking an end to whaling since the 1970s on ethical grounds.

The world court's decision leaves Japan with a tough choice between ending whaling outright — despite past claims that it would never abandon such a deep-seated cultural practice — or redesigning its program to make it a scientific endeavor after all.

Well, it looks like Japan's whaling industry is basically dead.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: ICJ to Japan: Stop Whaling
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:28:29 am »
It's about time.

Then again, they've proven that they don't care about international laws so they still might wriggle through some loophole or just completely ignore the laws and try to secretly fish.

(Although in the latter case, all those anti-whaling protesters that follow whaling ships could finally do something useful and report them.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: ICJ to Japan: Stop Whaling
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:18:27 pm »
Just so long as it doesn't give any positive press to eco-terrorists like the Sea Shepard folks.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.