Author Topic: re-enact crucifixion for Good Friday  (Read 5404 times)

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
  • I'm not naked I'm Tattooed
    • Facebook
re-enact crucifixion for Good Friday
« on: April 06, 2012, 06:59:26 pm »
Filipino fanatics

In a bloody display of religious devotion Roman Catholic fanatics in the Philippines have had themselves nailed to the cross as the Christian world marks the day Jesus was crucified.

The gruesome real-life re-enactments of the crucifixion, which are held every Good Friday in the Philippines, are frowned upon by the Catholic church but have become freak tourist draws.

One of the participants, faith healer Arturo Bating, spread his arms and maintained stoic calm as he was hoisted onto a wooden cross atop a sandy mound. He then had 10-centimetre nails driven through his palms.

It was the first time he had done it, he said.

"This is a vow I had made to God so that He will spare my family from sickness," the penitent, swathed in a white robe, said after his ordeal, which lasted several minutes, as is usual, and was seen by hundreds of people.

"It was a bit painful, but bearable," he added, pledging to take part in the ritual every year.

In some cases the devotees - who do not take painkillers - also had their feet nailed to the cross and one person had to be rushed off in a waiting ambulance after his feet suffered from heavy bleeding.

More than 20 fanatics, including one woman, were nailed to crosses in the farming regions on the outskirts of the northern city of San Fernando and nearby Paombong town.

Crucifixions are the grisliest, but by no means the only extreme acts of penitence on show in the Philippines, Asia's largest Catholic outpost with about 75 million followers.
Dozens of barefoot male devotees wearing black hoods whipped their own bare backs bloody with strips of bamboo tied to a string as they went around the San Fernando neighbourhoods on Thursday and Friday.

Daily Fail Link

More images and a video.

Why?
Twitter Soldier in sour armor tumblr

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Re: re-enact crucifixion for Good Friday
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:04:47 pm »
Korea does this too.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:29:45 pm »
They do this every year.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:46:28 pm »
I really don't get how people can put themselves in so much pain in the name of religion.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Juna Starrider

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:02:31 am »
A old co-worker from the Phillipines told me a hilarious story in which they put on a passion play for Eastern at her Church.  The man playing Jesus was tied to the cross (with ample support so it wasn't painful) and could not move.  All was well and good, but the hole the cross was not deep enough, and there was a gust of wind.  Down went the cross, with the poor man....face first.  The next year, they changed it so Jesus wasn't immobilized.

shykid

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 10:33:39 am »
Didn't Jesus supposedly go through all this stuff so you people wouldn't have to?

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 10:45:09 am »
A old co-worker from the Phillipines told me a hilarious story in which they put on a passion play for Eastern at her Church.  The man playing Jesus was tied to the cross (with ample support so it wasn't painful) and could not move.  All was well and good, but the hole the cross was not deep enough, and there was a gust of wind.  Down went the cross, with the poor man....face first.  The next year, they changed it so Jesus wasn't immobilized.

Poor guy. Ouch! At least THAT church was sane enough to just do a normal Passion Play where the carnage is merely a simulation.

Filipino REAL crucifixions, That Muslim festival where a bunch of guys flog themselves with blades, The Buddhist Phucket Vegetarian Festival, etc. .....people do all sorts of weird pain-based rituals, it's a weird "shamanic" sort of thing. Pain in a religious context can alter one's state of consciousness. It's sometimes ridiculous (I mean, 'self-crucifixion'?!) but I say "to each his own".

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »
BDSM for Jesus?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »
One of my former managers was from there, and he had nightmares years after seeing all that.  Big surprise that he has no desire to ever bring his daughter there, no matter how devout the family is.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:38:13 pm »
Christ, people...if you want an altered state, there are dozens of easily-available, and likely far safer, hallucinogens out there you could consume and claim you saw Jesus himself doing the Curly Shuffle.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 05:28:59 pm »
When belief is at its most intense, the intelligence always shines through.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 04:33:26 am »
I cant help but wonder how these people do things like this, and don't consider the fact that they will never be able to use their hands again properly. You don't undergo the trauma of having a nail driven through your hands and come away like nothing happened. Even if they manage to maintain most of their functionality, they wont be doing any work for the next month odd until the wounds heal.

This is craziness that is just beyond me.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 04:43:28 am »
I cant help but wonder how these people do things like this, and don't consider the fact that they will never be able to use their hands again properly. You don't undergo the trauma of having a nail driven through your hands and come away like nothing happened. Even if they manage to maintain most of their functionality, they wont be doing any work for the next month odd until the wounds heal.

This is craziness that is just beyond me.

As long as it doesn't sever a nerve, muscle, large blood vessel, or get infected, they'll be fine.

"Don't worry, the worst that could happen is we all die." - Jade Curtiss.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:46:10 am by StallChaser »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 10:47:11 am »
Christ, people...if you want an altered state, there are dozens of easily-available, and likely far safer, hallucinogens out there you could consume and claim you saw Jesus

That said...I agree. Pop some schrooms.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:06 am »
Wasn't it proven that the human body can't be supported by nails in the hand, and that it would more likely have been done to the wrists?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov