Author Topic: re-enact crucifixion for Good Friday  (Read 5405 times)

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
Re: re-enact crucifixion for Good Friday
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 03:55:02 pm »
Wasn't it proven that the human body can't be supported by nails in the hand, and that it would more likely have been done to the wrists?

I've read the same, though I cannot remember where.

National Geographic did a TV series called Taboo. where they profiled some activity that seems strange ("taboo") to most Westerners, but are perfectly normal in other cultures. One of the episodes was about people having themselves crucified in the Philippines. They focused one man who promised that if his wife and daughter survived the daughter's birth (it was a rough one), he would have himself crucified for 10(?) years. Wife and daughter lived, and he was on crucifixion #10.

I managed to watch the episode, but it was rather creepy. (Not too graphic, though. No shots of him actually getting the nails driven in.) From the look on the participant's faces, though, it's clear they weren't having much fun.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
Re: re-enact crucifixion for Good Friday
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:50 am »
I managed to watch the episode, but it was rather creepy. (Not too graphic, though. No shots of him actually getting the nails driven in.) From the look on the participant's faces, though, it's clear they weren't having much fun.

If you have 'fun' while having crude pieces of metal driven through your hands. You have far bigger problems than just engaging in over the top religious ceremonies.