Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 275191 times)

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #975 on: June 01, 2014, 02:28:50 am »
The Avengers.
It was really quite good.  It lead me to binge watching two seasons of Avengers:  Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #976 on: June 01, 2014, 01:36:28 pm »
The Avengers.
It was really quite good.  It lead me to binge watching two seasons of Avengers:  Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

I was expecting it to be utter shite, but I went to see it anyway coz a friend wanted to see it and it ended up being my favourite movie of that year.  It must've been the most pleasantly suprised I've been by a film in...well ever, probably.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #977 on: June 01, 2014, 03:02:24 pm »
Days of Future Past. I was (predictably) annoyed at the time-travel logic, but a fun movie overall.

Earth-811 in the comics has been erased, except for all the ways it hasn't. Comics, everybody.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #978 on: June 01, 2014, 03:12:43 pm »
Maleficent.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #979 on: June 01, 2014, 07:48:17 pm »
The Avengers.

I was expecting it to be utter shite, but I went to see it anyway coz a friend wanted to see it and it ended up being my favourite movie of that year.  It must've been the most pleasantly suprised I've been by a film in...well ever, probably.

Why else would Marvel be winning the cinema war against DC?

There's a huge gap between the styles of the two franchises in how they handle movies, and you can easily see why Marvel is ahead.

Marvel makes films that are updated for modern audience expectations and composites of existing stories, but are exceptionally faithful adaptations in many senses. Their choices for actors, especially for the major characters, are wonderful. The movies are vibrant and colorful, and have plenty of humor. Romance plots are kept to an absolute minimum to the point where some of their films 100% lack any romantic elements, even the typical tacked-on love scenes that Hollywood often demands. What you get is literally a comic book turned into a movie, merely adjusted for mainstream audiences. The entire series is in the same continuity and references past works, as well as referencing other Marvel content that hasn't made it to the big screen yet. There are multiple strong female characters (Black Widow is arguably the hero of The Avengers despite being less prominent than the rest and has an even bigger role in Winter Soldier), three major black characters, and they're giving individual movies to just about every character they can over time.

DC movies are almost always rather dark and often devoid of humor for the most part, with washed-out colors or relatively dull environments (Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is predominately black, gray, and brown and Man of Steel is run through the same filter as Saving Private Ryan). Traditional Hollywood tacked-on romance subplots are commonplace (Man of Steel might be the worst offender, with the attraction coming out of literally nowhere and having zero bearing on the plot or characters). A number of them are darker and edgier adaptations, with Man of Steel once more being the worst offender.  There's also a tendency for them to try and reboot instead of continuing onward (Man of Steel and the new Batman v Superman movie is a reboot of both the Dark Knight Trilogy and Brian De Palma's Superman film). They've also taken ages to actually get female heroes out the door, with Wonder Woman appearing for the first time in 2016 and being given less credit (and probably less screentime) than the two major male superheroes, and important minorities are few and far between. To say nothing of David Goyer's recent comments regarding She-Hulk and Martian Manhunter.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #980 on: June 02, 2014, 05:27:07 pm »
I still can't decide if The Dark Knight being so good balances the scales between DC and Marvel's movies.  I mean overall Marvel's recent movies have been much better than DC's (which isn't saying much) but on the otherhand...The Dark Knight.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #981 on: June 02, 2014, 07:47:00 pm »
Das Boot

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #982 on: June 03, 2014, 03:55:25 am »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #983 on: June 05, 2014, 02:30:24 am »
X-men: Days of Future Past.

Damn that was a good film.  Not jut a good comicbook/superhero movie but a good movie in it's own right.  It was soo good in fact that I'm now no longer secure in my belief that The Dark Knight is the best comicbook movie of all time.

My only real complaints are that there are a few interesting (and one cool as fuck looking - I think he's Bishop but I'm not sure 'coz I never read the comics) new mutant characters we don't really get to know anything about and the film didn't have enough Peter Dinklage.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #984 on: June 05, 2014, 04:27:40 am »
Bishop = energy absorber with a gun.

Re: Marvel vs. DC; the stupidest thing is that, by starting from the ground up and being less bogged down in sequels, like the current phase of Marvel arguably has been, there was an opportunity for DC to jump ahead of Marvel in terms of minorities - John Stewart in the Justice League, a solo Wonder Woman and so forth. But now, War Machine's turning up in Age of Ultron, and there might be a Black Widow or Captain Marvel film before Avengers 3 (beyond entertainment, this is the reason to see Guardians of the Galaxy - if Marvel can sell that, then all bets are off and more risks may be taken).

The opportunity to lead has disappeared, and I have no faith in Zack Snyder to handle Wonder Woman's characterisation with any nuance anyhow.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #985 on: June 05, 2014, 06:02:05 pm »
American Pop

Pretty cool movie, I'm glad I finally got to finish it.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #986 on: June 05, 2014, 07:01:57 pm »
Bishop = energy absorber with a gun.

Re: Marvel vs. DC; the stupidest thing is that, by starting from the ground up and being less bogged down in sequels, like the current phase of Marvel arguably has been, there was an opportunity for DC to jump ahead of Marvel in terms of minorities - John Stewart in the Justice League, a solo Wonder Woman and so forth. But now, War Machine's turning up in Age of Ultron, and there might be a Black Widow or Captain Marvel film before Avengers 3 (beyond entertainment, this is the reason to see Guardians of the Galaxy - if Marvel can sell that, then all bets are off and more risks may be taken).

The opportunity to lead has disappeared, and I have no faith in Zack Snyder to handle Wonder Woman's characterisation with any nuance anyhow.

Guardians of the Galaxy will almost definitely sell. The MCU franchise is so huge that it could probably sell a film based on a relatively unknown character, and it's gotten a great reputation so far for faithful adaptations that appeal to comic book fans as well as being good enough to stand on their own for a non-nerd audience.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the film just increases the popularity of the comic. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando started selling some merchandise as far back as two years ago.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #987 on: June 05, 2014, 08:16:53 pm »
I'm going to be going to see Guardians of the Galaxy, myself, so... yeah.  Looking forward to it.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #988 on: June 05, 2014, 08:18:08 pm »
I'm going to be going to see Guardians of the Galaxy, myself, so... yeah.  Looking forward to it.

I want to see it, but between Maleficent and HTTYD2, our movie budget's busted for awhile XD
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #989 on: June 05, 2014, 08:18:56 pm »
Shit, I sorta forgot about HTTYD 2! I'll have to go see that...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."