Author Topic: Anyone live near Portland or Sacramento?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Anyone live near Portland or Sacramento?
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:34:19 pm »
I'm looking into places to move. Some of the candidates are San Francisco, Portland, and Sacramento (or at least, those general areas). I have some relatives in the bay area, but I don't know anyone near Portland or Sacramento. If anyone live near there, could you tell me what it's like? What are the pros and cons of those areas? Thanks.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Anyone live near Portland or Sacramento?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:39:07 pm »
I've visited both of those places, but it was a while back, so I'm afraid I won't be much help.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 09:31:13 am »
I have relatives in the Gresham area of Portland, and friends in the San Fran area.

Portland:  city of over a million people, but it's pretty easy to navigate.  Homes range from about 240 to 300 K from the last five years of data, there's some very nice neighboorhoods, what lousy neighborhoods there were have really spiffed up according to my relatives, renting is about $675 for a studio up to $3250 for a 3 bedroom... I can suggest a few areas in specific in the Gresham area, if you'd like.

SF:  Spendier.  Cost of living's pretty dang high at 315 K minimum, on up to... well, 1.7 mil.  That's San Fran for you.  Renting is anywhere from about $900 (for less than 900 sq feet and 2 bed, 2 bath) to 4 grand plus.  That being said, if you can afford it, it's an amazing place to live.

That being said, I have more experience with Portland, being an Oregon native.  If money's tighter and you're looking for some place solid, Portland's the way to go.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 05:19:55 pm »
All I know about Portland is that it has a rocking science museum.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 12:20:11 am »
All I know about Portland is that it has a rocking science museum.

Ah, yes.  OMNI!  Good times.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."