Author Topic: Neanderthal predation theory  (Read 5783 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Neanderthal predation theory
« on: June 18, 2016, 03:44:56 pm »
I am going to start this topic by mentioning that I am fully aware that even this forum has people who know more about the subject and can probably tell if this is pseudoscience or not. But for me at least this sounds believable and interesting. If nothing else it can serve as an inspiration for writing or RPG design.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbmywzGAVs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbmywzGAVs</a>

http://themandus.org/gallery/

The common construction of what a Neanderthal would look like is partially anthropomorphism and partially use of wrong forensic technique. The artists assume that the soft tissue on their skin was exactly like the soft tissue that modern humans have and we assign very human traits on them (like assuming that they had very little hair just like us.) If you were to reconstruct what a gorilla or a dog looked like based on a skull you found you would not do the same mistake and therefore this scientist has done a similar reconstruct based on his theories about Neanderthals and has come up with a furry creature with slit eyes that would not be out of place in a horror movie.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Neanderthal predation theory
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 04:23:01 pm »
I think he raises some good questions about our modern image of Neanderthals, but the conclusions he draws are very unlikely and have little hard evidence to back them up.

But since I'm not an expert, I think our resident paleontologist would be more qualified to weigh in.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:51:44 pm »
Yeah, his theories about Neanderthals raping and eating humans for 50'000 years are a bit far fetched and better have a lot of data to back them up... I am actually thinking about hunting down that book of his.

But the idea that modern humans evolved from thousands of years of warfare against nocturnal rape-creatures that were six times stronger than us, a warfare that ended with the genocide of the losers, is certainly a good starting point for the average fantasy novel.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 12:12:05 am »
Honestly, this "theory" seems more fitting for a story from a 1920s pulp magazine.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 05:05:07 am »
Why does it have cat's pupils? Is it doing it's orky rapiness in the dark?

PZ Myers grumped at this. Justifiably so in this case.

Still, if you want stuff to inspire your RPG with there are nutters who believed that Neanderthals battled Vikings. While it's silly as a historical thesis, for an RPG it's metal as fuck!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:17:27 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 05:34:25 am »
Still, if you want stuff to inspire your RPG with there are nutters who believed that Neanderthals battled Vikings. While it's silly as a historical thesis, for an RPG it's metal as fuck!

I also have read "Eaters of the dead" and seen the "13th warrior."

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 07:30:12 am »
I'd recommend the novel Grendel by John Gardner. It depicts Grendel as a bitter outsider and the last of his kind but it could be a template for a final Neanderthal living in the last days of it's people.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 07:12:18 pm »
It's fantastic horror fodder. Huge hyper-intelligent cannibal rape beasts

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 08:40:14 pm »
It's fantastic horror fodder. Huge hyper-intelligent cannibal rape beasts
I thought that was Crossed , or are they pasty suburban rape beasts with biblical eczema?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 08:59:34 pm »
I think I have read Grendel... Or at least a summary of it, my memory is a bit hazy. Seemed like an interesting take on the subject.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 05:28:22 pm »
I just realised though based on his 'hypothesis' the Neanderthals should have either pale skin or fur as it is better for making vitamin D with limited sunlight. Also given that the Neanderthals apparently carried the gene for red hair, coupled with their alleged nocturnal hunter behaviour they should have been .... Gingers!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 12:24:15 am »
...Perhaps that's why Brits still think that the gingers have no soul?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah his theory has several flaws but at least it is interesting.

And I could believe few parts of it. Namely that the Neanderthals looked unlike what the modern portrayal is and that there was warfare between the two groups.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 12:54:20 am »
I just realised though based on his 'hypothesis' the Neanderthals should have either pale skin or fur as it is better for making vitamin D with limited sunlight. Also given that the Neanderthals apparently carried the gene for red hair, coupled with their alleged nocturnal hunter behaviour they should have been .... Gingers!
I vote for a combination of madcap schemes, ginger orks with bad skin and English accents!

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 04:10:22 pm »
...Perhaps that's why Brits still think that the gingers have no soul?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Got any evidence to the contrary?

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."