Author Topic: Ohio wants to let drug addicts die  (Read 989 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Ohio wants to let drug addicts die
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:54:26 am »
http://www.yourohiovalley.com/story/35758078/ohio-city-considers-three-strike-policy-on-responding-to-overdoses

TL;DR

Ohio city is considering a new plan that would make a "three strikes" rule to drug overdoses. If you have had 2 overdoses and have not paid for the cost of saving your life (by the way of community service), then the 911 dispatcher will not send emergency personnel to save your life.

According to WCMH/WLWT, there have been 577 only halfway through 2017. In 2016, there were 532 overdoses.

Also in 2016, the department reportedly spent more than $11,000 on Narcan. This year, $30,000 has been spent on it.

The number of deaths from overdoses this year is also on track to increase. Last year, officials report that there were 74 deaths. So far this year, there have been 51.

“If the dispatcher determines that the person who’s overdosed is someone who’s been part of the program for two previous overdoses and has not completed the community service and has not cooperated in the program, then we wouldn’t dispatch,” said Dan Picard, Middletown city council member.

Officials at the fire department say they are required by law to provide Narcan if they do respond to an overdose.

Picard said that this is an attempt to save the city's finances, not solve the drug problem.

So, their claim on how this would be legal in Trump's USA is that even though they are legally required to help, this only applies if they go to the patient. On the other hand if they never go there and just let the poor people drug addicts die then this is legal? I have a hunch that this plan will not be allowed but I am not a legal expert in any country.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Ohio wants to let drug addicts die
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:08:35 am »
From what I've heard of the story, it's just this one councilor, who's not going to stand for reelection.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:57:15 am »
And thus can say and do anything he wants.

Ironbite-the penis.

shykid

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:39:19 pm »
Pretty sure federal law overrules that if you want federal funding for your 9-1-1 program. You're required to follow up on every call to 9-1-1, even if it's just calling the person back or reporting abuse of the service. I strongly doubt calling back to say "lol ur gonna die of ur OD" counts. Lose your federal funding, and your emergency services are gonna cost more than treating drug addicts. And if you let your emergency services go to shit, a whole lot of voters are gonna be very mad after they need them and find they aren't decent and/or don't come in a timely manner.