Author Topic: Maybe AI moderation wasn't such a good idea, huh YouTube?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Maybe AI moderation wasn't such a good idea, huh YouTube?
« on: August 12, 2017, 07:56:23 pm »
http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/youtube-criticised-after-middle-east-video-taken-down-over-extremist-content-1244893230

I'm not a programmer, but I took a class on programming in college. I was taught to always make the user confirm any destructive operation. Letting an algorithm handle the destruction is completely boneheaded.

IMHO, the most an AI should do is hide the video until it gets reviewed by a human being.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Maybe AI moderation wasn't such a good idea, huh YouTube?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 10:24:27 pm »
Airwars later said its videos had been reviewed and restored, but given 18+ age classifications.

Not really a 'destructive operation' if YouTube still had the ability to restore them (would've been surprised if they couldn't). What happened was, for all practical purposes, hiding the videos from view until review became necessary.
Σא

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:54:42 pm »
Its only a rampaging AI if it develops an Oedipus Complex, disdain for mortal life, and plans for robot supremacy.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:53:55 pm »
Airwars later said its videos had been reviewed and restored, but given 18+ age classifications.

Not really a 'destructive operation' if YouTube still had the ability to restore them (would've been surprised if they couldn't). What happened was, for all practical purposes, hiding the videos from view until review became necessary.

Doesn't really sound all that bad when you put it this way. Well then, let's move along.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:03:43 am »
Yeah, the "AI" isn't doing anything destructive and this is basically a less exploitable version of temporarily flagging everything that someone reports.

And let's for a moment consider where this "AI" mod is being used and for what purpose. Youtube has a massive amount of videos going up all the time. The mods are unable to compete with the users to precheck every video before it can be uploaded. That's just impossible due to the workload. On the other hand, the longer a video with offensive or illegal material is up the more damage it can do to Youtube PR. Therefore it is understandable why they are taking an agressive stance to (temporarily) taking down videos that have been flagged.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!