Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2023805 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10545 on: August 16, 2017, 01:40:26 am »
A skunk sprayed in our back yard, and the spell has permeated the entire house.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #10546 on: August 17, 2017, 01:53:30 pm »
When you repeatedly try to interact with and get along with other people only to discover they find you annoying and inconvenient but for reasons that don't make any sense to you and you start to wonder if you're a fucking alien or something coz you don't seem to be like those around you and you clearly don't think like them at all.

Don't know why I bother, I give up.  Fuck everything.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10547 on: August 20, 2017, 10:35:06 pm »
Removing McAfee malware from someone else's laptop.  Bonus points: the laptop is a cheap piece of crap that probably couldn't run anything more advanced than Windows XP and, yet, is running fucking Windows 10.  It is so slow, I could literally watch paint dry in the time its taking the removal tool to get rid of McAfee's garbage.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #10548 on: August 20, 2017, 10:55:26 pm »
ah, McAfee. What hot garbage. An anti-virus that's more like a virus itself than anything.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10549 on: August 21, 2017, 08:54:05 am »
Doesn't help that its host machine is a festering shitheap.  Let this be a warning to everyone: DO NOT GET A LAPTOP UNLESS YOU'RE WILLING TO DROP AT LEAST $500 ON IT.  Anything less, and you're going to have a toy made of cheap plastic filled with bargain bin parts that, for all intents and purposes DOES NOT FUNCTION.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #10550 on: August 21, 2017, 10:28:34 am »
Yeah $750+ is generally the range you wanna be in unless you're on a tight budget. but $500+ for it to be functional.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10551 on: August 21, 2017, 05:00:14 pm »
My mom.

Seriously, I do an almost 500 pound leg press and I do it well, respecting form, and she just starts shrieking about my knees and how I should "heed Mitchell's advice", when Mitchell never told me not to do that much, he just prefers doing 4 plates himself and told me to go for the 5 plates as long as I do it with good form.

She then said her husband - my stepdad - had knee damage at 50 or something, and said it doesn't matter how fit I am when I brought that up.

I really think I'm better suited to working out my legs than her fat sack of garbage husband (who has a gut so profuse most shirts refuse to fit on him), and never once does she consider his lack of fitness to be a problem. He chugs hydroxycut tablets and doesn't so much as lift a finger to exercise.

And she thinks fitness has nothing to do with it...just, wow lady.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10552 on: August 23, 2017, 12:25:57 pm »
Cracked sharticles are starting to irritate me.  There's one about "five small things that kill relationships" or somesuch bullshit.  Every single fucking entry is a testament to the guy's complete inability to communicate effectively and not be a whinging cunt.  Seriously, someone has a different dialect from you, and that's a reason you break up with them?  Like, a legit, actual reason you decided to end things was because they say "errybody" or "y'all."  You do realize that this makes you look like the world's most painfully idiotic, self-absorbed, whining pinprick of a man, right?  Ya know what?  Fuck it, Imma do a thing.

(click to show/hide)

You know, I get the feeling that the "partner" this guy talks about was the one that initiated the breakup.  Ya know why?  Because one of the biggest things that kills a relationship is being a petty, whining dickhead.  I ain't talking about just romantic relationships, either.  I get the feeling that this pathetic shit's only friend is his wanking hand.  Maybe, buddy, the person that needed to change wasn't your ex, maybe just MAYBE, it was you.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10553 on: August 23, 2017, 01:21:44 pm »
I have to say, "sharticle" makes me picture something completely different. Unless of course you meant the results of having diarrhoea when it's especially cold, in which case I guess we're both on the same page.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10554 on: August 23, 2017, 06:35:38 pm »
I've been close to that...the wonderful pleasures of not having central heat, lol.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10555 on: August 25, 2017, 10:06:04 pm »
Meh, whatever, its a different thing, so fuck it.

(click to show/hide)

Saw this on my FB feed.  Despite this being proven bullshit, somebody posted it claiming it was legit.  Now, I don't know this person, myself (friend of a friend of my brother), but this bullshit just...it just annoys the fuck out of me.

1. The machine has no way of knowing what your PIN number happens to be; if the security is anything in the neighbourhood of your average online retailer, then it works like a password in which an encoded (hashed) version of the PIN is sent and compared to a hash stored on the bank's servers.

2. Going off this, two hashes are never supposed to be identical unless the strings are identical; a good hashing algorithm will work to ensure that even similar plaintext strings are encoded to be vastly different from one another.

3. Just because two sets of plaintext are the reverse of one another does not mean that the hashed values will also be reverses of one another.

4. Even if the bank does the stupidest possible thing and authenticates via plaintext on both ends, how's it supposed to know you're under duress and not simply an idiot, or someone with a stolen card, or even just dicking around?  If the bank sends for police every time this happens, the false positives will eventually cost someone (likely the bank, as the originator of the call) a lot of money for wasting their time because, get this, if you send a tonne of false calls to the police, they will fine you.  Banks are ruthlessly profit-focused, do you really expect them to care if you're under duress if it could end up costing them money?  If you believe that, then you are likely in need of people in nice, white coats to come and clean the drool off your chin.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10556 on: August 26, 2017, 03:10:22 am »
I want to meet the dickhead who thought up that elaborate piece of bullshit. Like, "hey, some people get robbed at the ATM. I'm going to tell them a simple, plausible, and convincing lie that may get them killed."
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10557 on: August 26, 2017, 08:18:50 am »
Exactly my thoughts.  Like, some people would no doubt question my anger towards this particular lie when I honestly laugh at birther bullshit and nonsense chain email garbage.  The difference is that the latter, while irritating, is mostly harmless.  This, however, could get someone robbed, hurt, or killed; this variety of bullshit is actually fucking dangerous.

pyro

« Reply #10558 on: August 26, 2017, 03:59:11 pm »
[a bunch of stuff about hashes]

You hash the PIN. If it matches the stored hash, great. If it fails, hash the reverse of the PIN. If it matches, then enter the emergency mode. If the reverse also fails, then the PIN is just wrong. Throw an error.

I mean, please don't call something impossible unless you've at least thought about what it would take to implement it. Sure, the scheme I described is vulnerable to timing attacks, but you'd need millisecond timing to detect it.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10559 on: August 26, 2017, 04:03:59 pm »
Hi, I'm a palindrome!
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.