Author Topic: James Gunn Fired for Offensive Tweets  (Read 15945 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
James Gunn Fired for Offensive Tweets
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:24:01 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44906019

Well, it looks like Roseanne Barr has company.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: James Gunn Fired for Offensive Tweets
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 02:04:04 am »
Hahaha, of course you see this the same way as Roseanne. Nevermind that this is the result of fucking Mike Cernovich.
Who needs a signature?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 03:52:51 am »
Hopefully the studio sees reason and that this is the machination of a Nazi and rehires the man.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 04:40:07 am »
Hopefully the studio sees reason and that this is the machination of a Nazi and rehires the man.

But if we offend the right-wingers, they'll... they'll... they'll call us LIBERALS!!!!!11!!1!

Fucking politically correct snowflakes like Cernovich don't deserve to have anyone listen to anything they say.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 04:48:01 am »
I hope Lana learns from this that we're not gonna be celebrating this.

I really hope that he gets rehired and the right wing gets offended we're "not keeping the same standurrd".

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 10:10:25 am »
Hahaha, of course you see this the same way as Roseanne. Nevermind that this is the result of fucking Mike Cernovich.

How is this different? ELI5.

I hope Lana learns from this that we're not gonna be celebrating this.

I really hope that he gets rehired and the right wing gets offended we're "not keeping the same standurrd".

I'm not asking you to celebrate this. You'll see my reasons for posting this in due time.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 11:48:02 am »
The now-deleted posts first came to light when conservative news website the Daily Caller unearthed them.

A number of conservative pundits then shared the tweets and called for Mr Gunn to be dropped by Disney.

Wait...I thought conservatives and right-wingers were supposed to be for free speech and are always complaining that liberals are too-easily-offended snowflakes who need safe-spaces?  It's almost like they're massive fucking hypocrites and full of shit or something? This is my shocked face.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 12:01:54 pm »
The now-deleted posts first came to light when conservative news website the Daily Caller unearthed them.

A number of conservative pundits then shared the tweets and called for Mr Gunn to be dropped by Disney.

Wait...I thought conservatives and right-wingers were supposed to be for free speech and are always complaining that liberals are too-easily-offended snowflakes who need safe-spaces?  It's almost like they're massive fucking hypocrites and full of shit or something? This is my shocked face.

I'm not sure it's hypocrisy so much as it is forcing those they consider "the enemy" to play by their own rules. It's rule 4 in Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals: "Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 12:07:59 pm »
It's another bout of whatabautism after other people lost their jobs for saying bad stuff online or actually physically committing sexual assault and so on.

It does reveal the difference between the two USAs though. Anyone who is liberal will be shunned and punished for saying bad stuff or harassing people while the conservatives defend their own when the president or someone brags with sexual assault. ...If this whatabautism as well? Probably but the point must be made. Gunn said some horrible stuff as a joke and now he is a persona non-grata for Disney because they fear that their fans will abandon them. Cernovich was the one who dug out these tweets and he has history of making rape jokes and defending rapists (he had a tweet where he told people to go and try to rape women without using force and that when they realize that it can't be done they must accept that "date rape" does not exist because it is impossible to commit a rape without force... Which in my opinion is a lot worse than making horrible jokes.) and clearly does not think that the comments by Gunn are bad. He just thinks that he can prove "lib-cuck" hypocrisy by pointing out that Gunn has said bad stuff as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 12:34:28 pm »
It's another bout of whatabautism after other people lost their jobs for saying bad stuff online or actually physically committing sexual assault and so on.

It does reveal the difference between the two USAs though. Anyone who is liberal will be shunned and punished for saying bad stuff or harassing people while the conservatives defend their own when the president or someone brags with sexual assault. ...If this whatabautism as well? Probably but the point must be made. Gunn said some horrible stuff as a joke and now he is a persona non-grata for Disney because they fear that their fans will abandon them. Cernovich was the one who dug out these tweets and he has history of making rape jokes and defending rapists (he had a tweet where he told people to go and try to rape women without using force and that when they realize that it can't be done they must accept that "date rape" does not exist because it is impossible to commit a rape without force... Which in my opinion is a lot worse than making horrible jokes.) and clearly does not think that the comments by Gunn are bad. He just thinks that he can prove "lib-cuck" hypocrisy by pointing out that Gunn has said bad stuff as well.

OK, I'd like some evidence that Cernovich said that and meant it.

But more important, I think it might be more about holding people to their own standards. After the Roseanne debacle, Gunn made this now-deleted tweet:

I wish some of these so-called defenders of liberty would start to understand what freedom of speech is AND isn’t. Roseanne is allowed to say whatever she wants. It doesn’t mean @ABCNetwork needs to continue funding her TV show if her words are considered abhorrent.

He basically preemptively justified his own firing with this tweet, especially since ABC is owned by Disney. And the fact that he deleted it seems to indicate that he knows it too.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »
Like this?

EDIT: https://old.reddit.com/r/greatawakening/comments/90na6v/michael_ian_black_twitter_this_storm_is_growing/?st=jjvjavck&sh=8597c4c1

Looks like the people who dug up Gunn's comments are looking for more ammo.

EDIT 2: And really, USA-liberals are using the same rules for themselves as they demand of others. Harvey Weinstein, a Democrat and a donator got nailed when people found out what he had done behind the scenes. Bill Cosby became reviled when people found out that he's a serial rapist and same happened to Kevin Spacey when his sexual harassment became known. Cosby was already retired but Spacey's career ended because of the revelations with former fans wondering if they should stop liking the films the two had been in. Democrat politicians had to drop out when their sins of the past became known.

Fact is that if you aren't in GOP your career is over when you do something like that. Meanwhile Republican party has politicians that brag about sexual assault. Pedophile candidates. Even a Nazi as a candidate. There's no hypocrisy on the left here.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:38:09 pm by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 03:24:01 pm »
I really hope that Disney rehires Gunn on Monday and then claims an overzealous executive was the one to pull the trigger.  Because when you still have JOHNNY FUCKING DEPP on your payroll, you can't really claim the moral high ground here.

Ironbite-especially as his star power isn't as high as it used to be and yet he's still in Disney.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 03:45:30 pm »
Stop trying to change the subject, Askold. We're not talking about sexual misconduct, we're talking about outrage mobs.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 03:56:42 pm »
How is this changing subject? Rapists and abusers were the ones the metoo campaign was targeting. Now Alt-Right is trying to drum up similar outrage against the people they hate by digging through their old messages.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 07:10:36 pm »
How is this changing subject? Rapists and abusers were the ones the metoo campaign was targeting. Now Alt-Right is trying to drum up similar outrage against the people they hate by digging through their old messages.

This has nothing to do with #MeToo. This is about people getting fired for things they said on twitter.