Author Topic: The Science Guy vs. The Creation Guy  (Read 11313 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: The Science Guy vs. The Creation Guy
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 08:12:08 pm »
Young Earth Creationists.

Ironbite-just so we're clear.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 08:17:21 pm »
I'd watch it but Ken Ham is fucking irritating and I don't want to put my fist through my monitor.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 08:27:00 pm »
Sadly, as much as I respect Nye, I feel he didn't accomplish anything. The creationist are not going to be swayed by facts, because they care more about  dogma. I think he should follow professor Dawkins' example, as he refuses to debate creationist because it gives them the appearance of credibility.

Bill admitted to CNN that he only agreed to it because Kentucky is considering adding intelligent design as a required subject in their public science classes. He was less trying to convince Ham and more trying to inform the voters.
Who needs a signature?

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 08:51:17 pm »
Sadly, as much as I respect Nye, I feel he didn't accomplish anything. The creationist are not going to be swayed by facts, because they care more about  dogma. I think he should follow professor Dawkins' example, as he refuses to debate creationist because it gives them the appearance of credibility.

Bill admitted to CNN that he only agreed to it because Kentucky is considering adding intelligent design as a required subject in their public science classes. He was less trying to convince Ham and more trying to inform the voters.

The unfortunate thing is that people are more easily swayed by rhetoric than fact. So he may have supplied the facts, but Ham may still "win" that debate.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 10:45:45 pm »
What the fuck is Noetics?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 10:53:16 pm »
What the fuck is Noetics?

Judging from my brief research, the idea that intuition is scientific evidence :/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 10:57:15 pm »
According to Rational Wiki, it's either noetic philosophy, which is simply philosophy related to the mind itself, and noetic science, which is yet another variation of new age woo. Considering the context, I personally lean towards the latter.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 01:16:07 am »
So it's basically a pseudoscience where you can say, I feel God is real so that is evidence?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Art Vandelay

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 01:25:56 am »
That's about the size of it.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 04:04:53 am »
So I just watched the whole thing while doing laundry. Yes I do my laundry at four in the morning, that's not the point.

Here's what the debate comes down to:

KEN HAM: Strawman, strawman, redefining words, making shit up, outright lying, cherry-picking, and not actually answering the question.
BILL NYE: Thoughtful, passionate, reasonable answers, and acknowledging when he doesn't know things.
KEN HAM: GOD. AND STUFF.
BILL NYE: *loses the will to live about 2/3 into the debate*

I only regret that I have no virginity to pledge to Bill Nye for being so freaking awesome and for also not cracking and strangling Ken Ham with his bow tie like you know he has contemplated at least 267,395 times in two and a half hours.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 04:30:14 am »
KEN HAM: Strawman, strawman, redefining words, making shit up, outright lying, cherry-picking, and not actually answering the question.
BILL NYE: Thoughtful, passionate, reasonable answers, and acknowledging when he doesn't know things.

More like:
KEN HAM: "You weren't there you cant know!"
BILL NYE: "well this and this and this prove it, Also Study Science kids"
KEN HAM: "YOU WEREN'T THERE YOU CANT KNOW!"
BILL NYE: "well we see this and this and this right now, Also Study Science kids"
KEN HAM: "GOD! YOU WEREN'T THERE YOU CANT KNOW!!!!!!!! GOD!!!!!"

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 06:56:35 am »
Just started watching the whole thing, all of Bill's jokes are bombing hard. Kinda uncomfortable to watch :P

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 07:50:24 am »
So did anyone end up watching it? I still think it was completely stupid for Nye to debate this guy. But one of the worst things to come out of it was this:

People holding signs that say stupid things and smiling about it

Get ready for the face palms.

Some of them are sketchy, but I'm convinced that this guy is trollin'. Look at that smile. He knows what he's doing.

22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 07:52:16 am »

"If we came from Brits, why are there still Brits?"

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 08:40:50 am »

More like:
KEN HAM: "You weren't there you cant know!"
BILL NYE: "well this and this and this prove it, Also Study Science kids"
KEN HAM: "YOU WEREN'T THERE YOU CANT KNOW!"
BILL NYE: "well we see this and this and this right now, Also Study Science kids"
KEN HAM: "GOD! YOU WEREN'T THERE YOU CANT KNOW!!!!!!!! GOD!!!!!"

I love how he went about things.

'We can't prove how old the earth is! Therefore I will tell you exactly how old it is.'
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel