Author Topic: Personal responsibility and health care  (Read 12866 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Re: Personal responsibility and health care
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 07:46:41 pm »
Given a good majority of these people come from a Christian background, I wonder if they ever think about helping their fellow man rather than taking away.

Given the responses on Christian forums, their sole reason seems to be that 'helping their fellow man' should be charity work, which should be strictly voluntary.  They then say that the Bible is also against stealing, which they claim would be anything government mandated, like healthcare.

Someone should tell them that the government gave them and education. And roads.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 02:47:35 am »
Given a good majority of these people come from a Christian background, I wonder if they ever think about helping their fellow man rather than taking away.

Given the responses on Christian forums, their sole reason seems to be that 'helping their fellow man' should be charity work, which should be strictly voluntary.  They then say that the Bible is also against stealing, which they claim would be anything government mandated, like healthcare.

Someone should tell them that the government gave them and education. And roads.

Their argument would be that all that could be paid for by private donations, ignoring all the poor people for whom this isn't an option.

Offline Wurdulac

• Neonate
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 01:13:04 pm »

Their argument would be that all that could be paid for by private donations, ignoring all the poor people for whom this isn't an option.

I love the "private donations will pay for everything" argument; because, as we all know, if the wealthy didn't have to pay taxes that go to support what few public services (schools, transportation, etc.) have been deemed vital, there would be even more money flowing into private charities than they would know what to do with.  Or some other such nonsense.
Then again, I could be wrong.

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 09:52:33 pm »
Especially when you realise that during hard economic times is when people need charity the most but charities have the least to give, and when the economy is good and charities actually have a bit to give there's not many people who need it.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 09:30:29 am »
This always gets me.  If people are so stingy that they won't pay taxes to the government for these things, why the hell would they willingly pay money to a charity?  Though, to answer my own question, it's probably because they can give as little as they want whenever they want. 

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 11:31:10 am »
I think they also get a tax break for giving to charity? I don't know how it works, precisely, or if they're actually saving money that way.

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:37 pm »
What I find most sad is this...
For the cost of maintaining any two aircraft carriers in their bloated fleet, the american government could provide quality healthcare and education (including healthy in-school breakfasts for all children under 14)  to every american citizen... and still have more aircraft carriers than any 7 possible rival navys.
Scrap a third carrier, and you can keep NASA going as well... And you STILL have more carriers than any 6 possible rivals.
You are sacrificing your children's health, education, and future... for what exactly???
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 03:25:32 pm »
So we can defeat them sand nig- I mean terrorists.

Obummer hates the millitary. He wants to cut funding! We really should be cutting funding to policemen and firefighters. They don't kill them terrorists.

</wingnut>
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 03:43:15 pm »

I  know I have.

To which they reply "What if a guy broke into your house, stole your stuff, then broke into your neighbors, stole his stuff and gave you some of it"

To which I reply.."That's not how stealing works."

and the conversation soon goes down hill from there.

I think the issue they have, at least in part, is choice.  Their arguments seem to often boil down to how they have no choice in paying taxes.

Which is true.

But that's because otherwise people who could pay wouldn't and the stuff we all need would never get done.

It doesn't occur to them I think that just because they have money that they can still be free loaders since they could pay and won't but still benefit.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 04:12:47 pm »
What's their compromise? Toll booths at every corner?

Also, they don't want their tax dollars going into health care, well I don't want my tax dollars going to "defense"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:59:14 pm by Lexikon »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »
Wouldn't be surprised if that's where they're going with this.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 09:12:48 pm »

Also, they don't want their tax dollars going into health care, well I don't want my tax dollars going to "defense"

Stealing this!
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:36 pm »
What's their compromise? Toll booths at every corner?

That's what I say. You can't have line-item veto over government spending because what about the pacifists? MLK never complained about being taxed to pay for Vietnam- he just said Vietnam was wrong.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR