Author Topic: The FQA Blog  (Read 25898 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: The FQA Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 11:56:31 pm »
I'm down to do some editing on my spare time. As I said in the other blog, I'll be learning Dreamweaver, Flash, Pro Tools, and Photoshop this year, so I'll be able to tackle related projects down the road. I'm also somewhat familiar with HTML, though I'd need to do a bit of refreshing if that's a code we'd be using for something (haven't really used it since high school).

As for topics, it probably goes without saying that music's my thing; should we decide to have an entertainment section somewhere, I would love to contribute to it.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 01:05:22 am »
I might have some contributions of my own whenever you guys want to see them.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 06:35:54 pm »
It is very possible to create an extension to the forum software to facilitate a blog integrated for commenting and such. The blog platform would avoid having people having to maintain separate usernames/passwords and be as easy as posting a new thread in a specially set up forum and authors could just be added into a special usergroup. Comments would be handled by the forums as normal.

Potentially push the forums from http://fqa.digibase.ca/ to http://fqa.digibase.ca/forums/ and have the blog/site at http://fqa.digibase.ca unless a domain name is in the works at some point.

Keeping everything unified would be an advantage, but a blogging-specific platform might be better suited.
Σא

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 09:26:13 pm »
I just checked out of curiosity and neither frequentlyquestionedanswers.com or FQA.net are taken. I couldn't connect to whatever FQA.com is, so I don't know about it. The former is wordy as all hell for a web address.

I'm guess the kind of setup Krad is talking about is one like that shown here at one of my old Lego fan haunts by the name of Eurobricks. Funnily enough I think the majority of their members aren't European, as prices were usually shown in US dollars, not Euros or Pounds.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 10:48:45 pm »
I've been thinking about writing up a couple of things. One might be about the true role of Lucifer and Satan in Xian mythos. Thing is, most churches would consider it heresy at best. After all, Satan and Lucifer are 1) Separate entities, and 2) Never left God's side. At ANY point.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:01 pm »
I've been thinking about writing up a couple of things. One might be about the true role of Lucifer and Satan in Xian mythos. Thing is, most churches would consider it heresy at best. After all, Satan and Lucifer are 1) Separate entities, and 2) Never left God's side. At ANY point.
I'd read that!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 12:09:51 am »
I'll need some info from the old Judaic sources. I wanna go back to the beginnings that so many churches, and even some synagogues conveniently ignore. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass?

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 12:26:24 am »
I'd really like to read that, Storm.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 08:42:37 am »
That's the kind of stuff the blog should have.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 11:15:23 pm »
On a serious note, how much of FSTDT happens because people failed reading comprehension. I propose we bring in proper context to their favorite bible quotes. Maybe even post some of the gospels that aren't commonly seen in scripture. At the same time, we should give anything politicians say the same scrutiny. Let's live up to the title of the board.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 11:32:42 pm »
Council of Nicea tossed out reams of books from the bible. lots of interesting non-canon stuff in those.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:49 pm »
I was also thinking that book reviews would be a good thing to have. I have a number of books on religion, mythology, and the bible that I could re-read and review.

Offline OmniLiquid

• Neonate
  • Already lurked moar.
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 03:19:52 am »
Although I'm a lurker (I may come out of my shell more, though), I could possibly write some articles on philosophy or mathematics (in a way connected to skepticism, of course). I recall having thought of some interesting arguments I haven't often seen elsewhere, though I don't recall them at the moment (sleep might help that).

I do recall 1 topic I would definitely want to write about (rather, I'd edit the paper I wrote for my philosophy writing class into something more suitable for a blog post), though it's more social justice than skeptical: an argument for keeping assisted suicide illegal (it was a good enough argument to convince me, at least).

Also, wanna say Storm's idea sounds very interesting, I'd love to read more on those topics.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 04:36:46 am »
Although I'm a lurker (I may come out of my shell more, though), I could possibly write some articles on philosophy or mathematics (in a way connected to skepticism, of course). I recall having thought of some interesting arguments I haven't often seen elsewhere, though I don't recall them at the moment (sleep might help that).

I do recall 1 topic I would definitely want to write about (rather, I'd edit the paper I wrote for my philosophy writing class into something more suitable for a blog post), though it's more social justice than skeptical: an argument for keeping assisted suicide illegal (it was a good enough argument to convince me, at least).

Also, wanna say Storm's idea sounds very interesting, I'd love to read more on those topics.

if you want to write about math in a way that's relevant to skepticism you should write about statistics, which a lot of people completely misunderstand.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline OmniLiquid

• Neonate
  • Already lurked moar.
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 01:14:02 pm »

if you want to write about math in a way that's relevant to skepticism you should write about statistics, which a lot of people completely misunderstand.

That is a good idea. I could write about Baye's Theorem and why the prior probability for God is unknown and probably unknowable, the difference between correlation and causation (though I think that's been done to death already), and/or how a sample can be biased (or just how statistics can be done badly in general).

If you have other ideas, I'm open to them, but be aware that although I'm familiar with basic statistics principles and techniques I may not be the best suited for advanced stats topics.