Author Topic: The most important announcement on this thread.  (Read 25431 times)

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
Re: The most important announcement on this thread.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 11:37:26 am »
Well in the context of the time, slavery was common back then and was practiced under the Romans too. And as I said, converting legitimizes any previous illegitimacy as the Church was the successor to the Roman Empire.
See this is where it gets baffling, Roman empire-stabs, scourges and impales Christ to wood, imprisons and tortures his followers turning some of them into live cat food. Constantine rocks up and suddenly it's all sweet and all is forgiven, how the fuck does that work?

The Roman Empire had both good Emperors who left Christians alone, and bad Emperor’s who persecuted them, but Constantine made the Empire a Holy Christian Empire.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 06:22:19 pm »
Well in the context of the time, slavery was common back then and was practiced under the Romans too. And as I said, converting legitimizes any previous illegitimacy as the Church was the successor to the Roman Empire.
So, enslaving and conquering Christians is fine (even for the sake of human sacrifice), except when Muslims do it. Furthermore, the Church is not the successor to the Roman Empire, it's a remnant of it. It was the religious branch of the Western Roman government, and nowadays is all that's left of it. Furthermore, if the approval of the Church legitimises any ruler, then not only was William of Normandy's claim the gold standard of legitimacy, but every usurper up to King Henry VIII was just as legit. Or does Church approval only legitimise when it's a former pagan conqueror?

I have to say, for a Christian supremacist, you seem to grant a lot of exclusive privileges to non-Christians.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 08:58:49 pm »
So, enslaving and conquering Christians is fine (even for the sake of human sacrifice), except when Muslims do it. Furthermore, the Church is not the successor to the Roman Empire, it's a remnant of it. It was the religious branch of the Western Roman government, and nowadays is all that's left of it. Furthermore, if the approval of the Church legitimises any ruler, then not only was William of Normandy's claim the gold standard of legitimacy, but every usurper up to King Henry VIII was just as legit. Or does Church approval only legitimise when it's a former pagan conqueror?

I have to say, for a Christian supremacist, you seem to grant a lot of exclusive privileges to non-Christians.

The pagan conquerors still for the most part allowed Christians religious freedom and Christianity still flourished. Being a remnant of the Roman Empire made the Church the successor. And Church approval legitimizes mostly former pagan conquers because since they are legitimized, legitimacy is then based on who their legitimate successors are..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:03:39 pm by Jacob Harrison »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 09:19:40 pm »
The pagan conquerors still for the most part allowed Christians religious freedom and Christianity still flourished. Being a remnant of the Roman Empire made the Church the successor. And Church approval legitimizes mostly former pagan conquers because since they are legitimized, legitimacy is then based on who their legitimate successors are..
Well then, if the approval of the church trumps lineage, then every king up to Henry VIII has been legitimate, as their coronations were presided over and therefore obviously approved by the church. If church approval is good enough to legitimise pagans, then surely it's more than enough to legitimise actual Catholics, right?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 01:38:03 am »
If you want to support the remnant of the Roman empire's religion then you should be Orthodox Christian. That's just a fact.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 01:51:15 am »
They're probably a little too sigil spammy with their nicely made icons for Jakey's tastes. ...Too festive for his type.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 05:50:20 am »
If you want to support the remnant of the Roman empire's religion then you should be Orthodox Christian. That's just a fact.
I thought he was farting around with Orthodox for a bit, was that religion number five...twelve...forget now. Doesn't matter.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 09:06:07 am »
Well then, if the approval of the church trumps lineage, then every king up to Henry VIII has been legitimate, as their coronations were presided over and therefore obviously approved by the church. If church approval is good enough to legitimise pagans, then surely it's more than enough to legitimise actual Catholics, right?

I never said tha approval of the Church trumps lineage. I said that it legitimizes pagans and that further legitimacy comes from the lineage of the legitimized pagans.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 09:07:37 am »

The Orthodox Church is the remnant of the Eastern Roman Empire, while the Catholic Church is the remnant of the Western Roman Empire. The Roman Empire split into two soon before the Western Roman Empire fell.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 04:02:14 pm »
I suspect everyone here already knows that O great and learned one!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2018, 04:29:46 pm »
And once again, Jakey-boy proves his sheer ignorance of one of the most basic tenets of political theory.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2018, 08:24:26 pm »

I never said tha approval of the Church trumps lineage. I said that it legitimizes pagans and that further legitimacy comes from the lineage of the legitimized pagans.
But it does Trump lineage because by your own admission it means that the current, formerly pagan rulers and not the descendants of the previous government are the "true rulers".

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 09:33:45 pm »
I still want to know what getting merged by the Wizard means and why he keeps doing it? Is it meant to be convincing? Or is it a euphemism for masturbating in front of a mirror?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 09:44:43 pm »
It's probably an idea he stole from a Harry Potter fanfiction.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2018, 10:13:46 pm »
I think it might mean "a wizard combined me and alternate me".

So Jakob is literally hundreds of equally insane copies of himself floating around in one body. At least as far as he's convinced.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer