Author Topic: USA planning to give corps the right to mine in space  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
USA planning to give corps the right to mine in space
« on: September 24, 2015, 10:19:17 am »
http://www.popsci.com/it-could-soon-be-legal-to-mine-asteroids?src=SOC&dom=fb

The funny thing is that I didn't know that USA owned the space OR had the authority to make laws concerning the outer space all by itself.

The again, if Obama vetoes the law GOP is going to get butthurt and complain about Obama destroying innovative industries.

There is a treaty about outer space so this law could have been given to those countries to decide together. It could have been given to UN to decide so that all the countries on Earth could have together decided what to do about this and how commercial mining in space should be handled. ...But no, USA is going to open up this can of worms.

I am already talking on FB with guys who a) support this because CAPITALISM b) support this because Ahem...  "'MURICA FUCK YEAH! HOW YOU GONNA STOP US BOY!?!"

Yeah, let's have another resource war and this time lets have it in space.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
Re: USA planning to give corps the right to mine in space
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:22:03 am »
I think this is how Fallout happens. Over space mining.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 10:40:45 am »

nope, it's a ressource war about the last of the oil. and using nuclear reactors in cars. among other things. these guys nail it.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 10:42:56 am »

nope, it's a ressource war about the last of the oil. and using nuclear reactors in cars. among other things. these guys nail it.
Not how Fallout happened in the games. I mean how Fallout happens. For real. Eh, it was a bad joke anyway.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:51:24 am »
Is this even a practical issue? I'm pretty sure we don't have anything close to usable space mining tech, nor any reason to actually do it if we did. Doing pretty much anything in space is really goddamn expensive.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 11:11:14 am »
The bill in Congress is moot. The Space Treaty boils down to requiring international approval for any activities of any kind on celestial bodies, whether the moon, an asteroid or a planet. With robotic mining ships using ion propulsion after conventional rocket boost to orbit, it is currently technically feasible to cobble together a functional attempt at space mining. Financially viable is another question entirely, as Art pointed out. If a way to "run ahead" a mining bot ship along the calculated trajectory of a "near miss" comet or asteroid, perhaps the ship could get up enough speed to land on it. If the calculated orbit of the asteroid or comet is such that the mining bot can harvest a payload and then sling-shot back to Earth, all within the "time is money" feasibility window, then yeah, I guess these space mining start-ups must have something up their sleeves.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 12:31:43 pm »
How about we just send most of Congress to space, for them to never to return??

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 12:37:55 pm »
I'm all for this.  If anything, you can mine asteroids and LEAVE WILDERNESS AREAS ALONE YOU DUMB FUCKS!

Ironbite-just have proper safety regulations and we're golden.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 12:45:55 pm »
I wonder how many of those asteroids have big space worms or other space critters  living in/on them??
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:47:54 pm by nickiknack »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 12:50:27 pm »
I'm all for this.  If anything, you can mine asteroids and LEAVE WILDERNESS AREAS ALONE YOU DUMB FUCKS!

I think the mining would be done by robots.  Would safety regulations even be necessary?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 12:58:57 pm »

I think the mining would be done by robots.  Would safety regulations even be necessary?

Do you know what the corporations would do if there are no safety regulations? Whatever they think they can get away with. Just like they deal with all the regulations.

I bet they would think of something profitable that pollutes or endangers people if there aren't any regulations. Even in space where there shouldn't be anyone or anything to pollute or endanger.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 02:06:42 pm »

An asteroid is far cheaper to mine in Earth orbit because it takes more fuel to escape Earth's gravity well. Capturing a near-Earth asteroid in Earth orbit would be a highly profitable endeavor and lots of people would start doing it. From there you can use your enormous gravitational potential to launch hypervelocity rocks at Earth or you can pollute the orbit you're in with debris.

I'd want some strong regulations and an accountable space authority to avoid anarcho-capitalist space hell, thank you.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 03:31:18 pm »
How about we just send most of Congress to space, for them to never to return??

Maybe this is how Jindal plans to fire Congress.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 08:46:41 pm »
Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress suddenly seems a lot less far fetched.