Author Topic: Ireland votes YES on marriage equality.  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Ireland votes YES on marriage equality.
« on: May 23, 2015, 12:25:40 pm »
They are still counting the votes but now it is inevitable that the YES votes have won.

http://www.theguardian.com/global/live/2015/may/23/counting-underway-for-irelands-referendum-on-marriage-equality

Yay! I am actually surprised since I thought that such a devout Catholic country would have more resistance to LGBT rights but this is a pleasant surprise.

And in a show of good sportmanship the leader of the campaign to oppose same sex marriage tweeted his congratulations to the winners: https://twitter.com/DavQuinn/status/602036483906805760

(The winners are apparently not as gracious as you can see from the responses, but if the comments about lies and homophobia in the campaign are true I can understand why they aren't ready to forgive him.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: Ireland votes YES on marriage equality.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:50:34 pm »
Always glad to hear some good news for a change.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:46:53 pm »
Nice to see a country get it right.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 02:43:26 pm »
..And Ulster remains a fucking joke, as usual. You can't donate blood if you're gay, marriage equality is non-existent along with reproductive services, and age of consent has yet to be equalized.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:45:48 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 02:56:58 pm »
..And Ulster remains a fucking joke, as usual. You can't donate blood if you're gay, marriage equality is non-existent along with reproductive services, and age of consent has yet to be equalized.

Is there a county-by-county breakdown of the vote? I'm now curious to see how Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal voted.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 03:11:21 pm »

Is there a county-by-county breakdown of the vote? I'm now curious to see how Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal voted.

While that was a jab at Northern Ireland, I'd be interested in seeing that too.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 03:46:35 pm »

While that was a jab at Northern Ireland, I'd be interested in seeing that too.

I know it was a jab at Northern Ireland (which is a bit of a misnomer since the northernmost part of the island of Ireland is in Donegal), but I want to know if the rest of Ulster is as backwards as the part that remained in the United Kingdom.

EDIT:

Wikipedia has a breakdown by constituency. Cavan-Monaghan voted 50.65% in favour; Donegal North-East and Donegal South-West voted 52.46% and 50.05% in favour respectively. One constituency did record a majority vote against: Roscommon-South Leitrim with only 48.58% in favour.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:14:37 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 04:34:21 pm »
Damn...good on you Irish.

Ironbite-now all those Redheaded lesbians won't be pressured into marrying bad men.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 05:53:27 pm »
YES!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 11:37:37 pm »
Wonderful!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 11:16:54 am »
Wonderful!

The "Luck of the Irish" isn't irony, now! This really is a case of GREAT FORTUNE!