Author Topic: GOP doesn't trust the poor people tho choose their own food  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/05/15/wisconsin-gop-passes-bill-banning-poor-people-from-buying-shellfish-potatoes-and-ketchup/

Basically, the Republicans in Wisconsin passed a law that limits the things you can buy with food stamps.

Creamed vegetables
Baked beans
Pickles
Pork and beans
Frozen veggies that come in packages featuring pasta, nuts, rice, cheese, or meats
French fries and hash browns
Sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, and fresh mozzarella, shredded and sliced cheeses (except American cheese of course), cheese food, spreads, and products. Even Kosher cheese is banned unless you apply to get a specific check for it which basically could identify who the poor Jewish people are.
Canned peas and green beans
Albacore tuna, red salmon, and fish fillets
Bagels, pita bread, English muffins
White rice and wild rice
Taco shells
Almond, rice, goat, and soy milk.
Brown eggs and any eggs produced by cage-free or free range chickens, which basically helps corporate chicken farms
Several kinds of infant food
Anything in bulk
Anything organic or natural

Why? The official explanation is that they are doing it to promote "healthy eating habits" but many of the things they ban are healthy while they still allow people to buy many other unhealthy foods. They also ban shellfish and the most logical explanation for it so far is "because the Bible says you can't eat shellfish" which is still a bullshit reason for making a law.

Well, at least Wisconsin isn't alone in this since several other states are planning similar laws, or even laws that would ban poor people from participating in protests.  EDIT: Just to clarify, not exactly a ban on protests. It's just that if this law passes and you are on food stamps and you have young family members participating in the protest, then you will lose the food stamps. So, you just need to decide whether you need food or your civil rights more.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04/30/maryland-republican-wants-to-strip-food-stamps-from-poor-people-who-protest-audio/

USA. I am seriously disappointed by your behaviour. Either go full totalitarian mode and remove the right to citizenship and human rights from your "undesirables" like you've done in the past or stop acting like dicks. This halfway point where you pretend to do the same for "noble causes" is making hypocrisy meters overload.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:59:33 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: GOP doesn't trust the poor people tho choose their own food
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 03:38:25 am »
Every day I have a harder and harder time defending the nation I live in.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 05:50:57 am »
For people who love saying America should be "a nation of God", the Republicans certainly do seem to love Social Darwinism.

Once you're out of the womb, you stop being sacred and important - if you're weak you deserve misery and death.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:44:16 am »
Gotta love how extremist conservative uber-dick pols reinvented the War on Poverty. They really do want serfs, vassals and little kingdoms for themselves.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:21:39 am »
Wait, they are banning buying anything in bulk with food stamps? Why? Buying in bulk is cheaper, and would reduce dependence on further aid. Are they just trying to look tough to the base? Or is this sponsored by Tea Party whackjobs who don't understand anything about anything?
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:30:49 am »
Wait, they are banning buying anything in bulk with food stamps? Why? Buying in bulk is cheaper, and would reduce dependence on further aid. Are they just trying to look tough to the base? Or is this sponsored by Tea Party whackjobs who don't understand anything about anything?

Probably because buying in bulk is only something pinkos do, or some such nonsense.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 01:31:04 pm »
What's the point of being rich if you can't lord it over poor people and micromanage their lives?

There's a class war happening and the rich have won.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 01:39:53 pm »

It's not over -- the shooting and wholesale violence hasn't even started yet.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 03:02:54 pm »

Probably because buying in bulk is only something pinkos do, or some such nonsense.

This is just a guess but I can think of two reasons...

a) Buying in bulk is cheaper so the companies get less money.

b) Someone might sell the stuff they have bought in bulk and make money with it. (I doubt that buying in bulk is so much cheaper that this is a risk, but despite being the dumber reason at least it is less horrible justification.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 04:01:21 pm »

It's not over -- the shooting and wholesale violence hasn't even started yet.

Victims of police brutality around the nation would argue otherwise. It's no secret that the property of the uber-rich is valued higher than most people's lives.

That's entirely besides the other can of worms that is sending poor people to kill other poor people in wars for economic exploitation.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:03:03 pm by Ironchew »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 04:49:04 pm »
This law actually doesn't do anything.  What has to happen now is they apply for waivers from the Federal department, this being Agriculture, that runs this program.  And if they deny the waivers, this law is just ink on paper.

Ironbite-but still...it's pretty clear how the GOP feel about the poor.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 05:11:14 pm »
You know, it's not often I can look at my state and think to myself: "Wow, at least we're not that bad."
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 05:26:32 pm »
It's kind of depressing how far to the right the GOP has dragged Wisconsin in just the last five years. It used to be THE heart of progressivism in the midwest a century ago.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 10:08:49 pm »
I've had a saying since I was eight years old and reading history books out of sheer boredom.

"I love my country, and I love the freedoms it gives me, but I really, really, really hate the way my government acts."

Even when I got the right to vote... well, I always wound up on the losing side.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 12:21:00 am »
Every day I have a harder and harder time defending the nation I live in.

I've had a saying since I was eight years old and reading history books out of sheer boredom.

"I love my country, and I love the freedoms it gives me, but I really, really, really hate the way my government acts."

Even when I got the right to vote... well, I always wound up on the losing side.

That's generally how I've been viewing things ever since high school. Until now that I've had a chance to live abroad and can actually look at the country from an outsider's perspective.

At this point, I'm more like "Nope, screw it, I'm done with this place and if at all possible I don't want to go back."