Author Topic: Anti-gay protestors use kids as human shields.  (Read 7597 times)

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
Re: Anti-gay protestors use kids as human shields.
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 04:00:29 pm »
I tease the French sometimes as the whole surrender a lot thing, but I recognize they are a proud country with a long history when I'm being serious. Though I think I respected them more after taking the big blue blob to space in EU3.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 10:24:01 am »
As a french person, I have to say that this movement is viewed with a lot of contempt by quite a large proportion of the population. They've been mocked as being "the first morons in french history to march in order to keep people from having rights".

Unfortunately, they are LOUD idiots, so... yeah.

And this is indeed a new low if it's more than a single dumb-as-a-rock father (I'd love to give him a taste of his own medecine... quel enfoiré!).

As for the joke about surrendering cheese eating monkeys...  :evil grin: Yeah, keep joking, 'Murica. It's not like we even need to prove you wrong. Don't worry, we won't mention your "war of independance" in public.

Edit : But yeah, violent protests in France are dime a dozen. Tear gaz on the news is a common enough sight. It's just the very first protest in (litteraly) decades where the religious right is in the street!

I always found all that Francophobic "Cheese-eating surrender monkey" crap irritating as hell. The French don't bother me one bit. They helped my country achieve independence, for crying out loud!

My country helped the French fight the English.  Says a lot about them that they still remember honour the Scots who fight for them.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Distind

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 11:37:08 am »
I tease the French sometimes as the whole surrender a lot thing, but I recognize they are a proud country with a long history when I'm being serious. Though I think I respected them more after taking the big blue blob to space in EU3.
It's just too much fun to get them riled up over it.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42:28 pm »
The French surrendered once. They (as a nation, regimes have changed) did get beaten up in other wars in history but they have spent much time kicking ass and spilling blood. If anything I would assume that they would have gotten a stereotype of being uncontrollable bloodthirsty warriors, with a distinct lack of concern for the lives of their own troops.

I mean, Agincourt? Grecy? Their uniforms in WW1? They were killing their own troops out of arrogance or sheer stupidity but no signs of cowardice to be seen. (If only they had been able to control their knights and their temper.) And Napoleon did a good show of kicking ass as wel, too bad that age and all the accumulated illnesses took out his best edge.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 12:45:13 pm »
The French surrendered once. They (as a nation, regimes have changed) did get beaten up in other wars in history but they have spent much time kicking ass and spilling blood. If anything I would assume that they would have gotten a stereotype of being uncontrollable bloodthirsty warriors, with a distinct lack of concern for the lives of their own troops.

I mean, Agincourt? Grecy? Their uniforms in WW1? They were killing their own troops out of arrogance or sheer stupidity but no signs of cowardice to be seen. (If only they had been able to control their knights and their temper.) And Napoleon did a good show of kicking ass as wel, too bad that age and all the accumulated illnesses took out his best edge.

Yeah, but WWII is the one that's freshest (relatively speaking) in people's minds. Also they got their butt kicked in Vietnam.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2013, 05:10:06 pm »
It's just too much fun to get them riled up over it.

Pretty much this.

Guys, it's a joke. Not even really an offensive joke, since most people telling it (especially here) know the truth pretty well. I find it ironic that people who have gotten upset about it in this thread have no problems insulting OTHER countries, especially the United States. I know, you'll respond with "But the US really is like that, so it's okay!" Doesn't mean that an American would have any less right to get irritated by it.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2013, 05:19:09 pm »

Yeah, but WWII is the one that's freshest (relatively speaking) in people's minds. Also they got their butt kicked in Vietnam.

You know, I wouldn't mention Vietnam (or Indochine as the French called it).  They weren't the only country to lose there.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2013, 05:22:12 pm »

Crecy is the French using what was the perceived logic of the time that Heavy Cavalry could defeat anything, despite the lesson learned at Bannockburn 30 years earlier.  In WWI they were (at first) wearing the same style of uniforms they had used in their wars in the 19th century.  When it came back the uniforms were causing more casualties, they changed to something more practical.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2013, 08:37:51 pm »

You know, I wouldn't mention Vietnam (or Indochine as the French called it).  They weren't the only country to lose there.

I'm Canadian, and whatever Ann Coulter would have you believe, we weren't in Vietnam. Some guys south of the border got their asses whupped, but whatever.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 09:26:50 am »

I'm Canadian, and whatever Ann Coulter would have you believe, we weren't in Vietnam. Some guys south of the border got their asses whupped, but whatever.

Totally whupped to be precise, despite what Hollywood thinks.