Author Topic: FOR TEH MENZ!  (Read 15705 times)

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
Re: FOR TEH MENZ!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 02:17:33 am »
Cry. There are those who will say it makes you weak. They are wrong. Tears mean you know how to feel.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 02:47:41 am »
Cry. There are those who will say it makes you weak. They are wrong. Tears mean you know how to feel.

This. A strong and smart person knows when it is time to release pent up feelings. You may hate it, you may want to die, but don't deny that it is something essential to emotional health.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 02:53:53 am »
Tradition is often wholly divorced from common sense. Forge your own path.

I would take this a step further.  Tradition is a guide, but not a strait-jacket.  If you can't find out where a tradition comes from, or if it arose from a situation which is no longer applicable, feel free to deviate from it.

Traditions are useless if they are built on faulty reasoning or cannot be properly squared with modern realities.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 03:41:05 am »
Never assume anything, always have a back up plan, and never rely on a single person for an important thing.
People will screw you over, they will fuck up your plans, and if you're stupid enough to not make a back up plan out of pride, then you only have yourself to blame.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 08:59:08 am »

This. A strong and smart person knows when it is time to release pent up feelings. You may hate it, you may want to die, but don't deny that it is something essential to emotional health.

The strong cry.  The weak bottle it up and die early.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:02:47 am »
Learn to sew a button back on a shirt. Also, learn to cook at least one decent meal for yourself.

As to the crying, that's one way to release emotion. There are others. I haven't cried in decades, but I'm just as much a man as anyone here. Point is find a healthy way to deal with a emotions, and FFS use it.

When you see that sweet young thing across the bar, don't let fear of rejection be what stops you from talking to zir. A stupid high percentage of people are polite enough to soften the blow if it is to be rejection ("I'm in a relationship", "I'm not looking for anything right now").

Put what you can from each paycheck away in some sort of savings. Even if it's only $15, it's better than zero. But make sure it's from every check. Trust me, you'll be glad it's there when you need it.

This is most important. If you don't smoke, don't start. If you're already smoking, try to quit. Especially if you are on any kind of insurance. The longer you smoke, the harder it will be. I know it sounds stupid, but I know too many people who figured they're young and have time. Well, life don't work like that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:11:40 am by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 09:15:59 am »
Three lessons that I learned while in the army. (But they are pretty universal.)

1) The commander of the NCO school said that if we only remember one thing about him, then we should remember that he said this: "If you get a task that is worth doing, then it is worth doing it properly and seeing it all the way to the end. If you get a task that isn't worth doing then don't even start."

Now that I think about it that IS the only thing I remember about him... What did he even look like? I think he was about average height... Lean... Usually wore an uniform. Hmm...

2) Something my dad taught me: "If you get a task, doing it is easier and less work than first trying to avoid it and then still having to do it."

3) Even if you are in a hurry, rather than blindly rushing in you should stop and think first. With a proper plan and working methodically you get more done faster.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 11:32:24 am »
You don't need a partner. I know, this is really counterintuitive, but hear me out.

If you are angsting about not having a significant other, ask yourself this question: What is a significant other for?

Is it for sex? Well, I feel bad for you, sex is pretty awesome. You also don't need a girlfriend to get off.
Is it to keep you from feeling lonely? You can fill that space with hobbies and friends and other things you enjoy doing, with a variety of people. You don't need a romantic relationship for that.
Is it to fill the boyfriend-shaped hole in your life? Do you think you'll feel better about yourself, or do more things, or be more motivated, or whatever, if you have a significant other? Newsflash: no, you won't. Romantic attachments don't solve a lot of problems.

You don't truly need a romantic relationship, and understanding that is actually one of the best ways to get one, paradoxically, because you're not going after it because you need. That's clingy and desperate and a turn-off. People preach confidence, but it's the confidence to fail, to go home without a date, to have dry spells: that's the kind of confidence you need.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 12:01:36 pm »
Once you have steady employment, get yourself a savings buffer. This is basically a sum of money of preferably a few thousand dollars that sits in your bank account (preferably a separate account, just so it's not so easy to fritter away) and serves only as an emergency fund. If you have the discipline to build and maintain it, it can easily pay for itself many times over. For example, if a large appliance like your fridge or water heater breaks down, you should be able to replace it without any sort of loan or payment plan. Not paying the inevitable extortionist interest rates is a huge saving. It'll also save you quite a pretty penny on insurance, if you're savvy about it. For example, it'll allow you to comfortably opt for a longer waiting period with almost any form of insurance you care to purchase, which will naturally result in lower premiums, as well in some cases using it in lieu of making a claim, which will let you keep any no-claims bonus you already have.

Really, a little financial planning will go a hell of a long way. You'll save yourself a heap of money and stress.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 01:07:05 pm »
^This.  And if you live in a non-free healthcare country, money put back could save you  from being hounded by the hospitals and doctors for the rest of your life.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 01:08:48 pm »
I'm rather surprised that Art has yet to say "When in doubt, whip it out!"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 01:11:40 pm »
I'm rather surprised that Art has yet to say "When in doubt, whip it out!"
Forgive me. I assumed it's a given.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 01:20:01 pm »
Is there an alternative for those of us who have nothing to whip out?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 01:26:13 pm »
That particular issue is one I sadly lack the experience to adequately address. Though I suppose if you want an equivalent action, you could always try dropping your trousers. I can't speak for its effectiveness, but the option is there nevertheless.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 03:52:40 pm »
What about your chest, Antechrist? :P
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet