Author Topic: "What religion has contributed to the world this month"  (Read 4722 times)

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
"What religion has contributed to the world this month"
« on: February 19, 2013, 05:01:51 am »
Was reading on Joe My God when I found a video on a beginning youtube series entitled "What religion has contributed to the world this month?" which takes many of the (majority of christian and islamic) controversial news articles on a monthly basis and puts them together in a video, here are the three videos out so far:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqso3Luv7zs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqso3Luv7zs</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO_3eSbLjyM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO_3eSbLjyM</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUnMZS7rulw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUnMZS7rulw</a>

Ultimately I'm crossed on this one on whether this is a decent idea or not.  Thoughts?

Offline Joey

• Bishop
Re: "What religion has contributed to the world this month"
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:23 am »
I don't think it accurately represents religion as a whole to only present the most extreme elements. Religious people have been known for altruistic acts too, such as running homeless shelters, food banks, clothes drives, etc. But those don't make very exciting news stories.

I think it would be more fair to rename it "What fundamentalism has contributed to the world."
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:45:56 pm »
I don't think it accurately represents religion as a whole to only present the most extreme elements. Religious people have been known for altruistic acts too, such as running homeless shelters, food banks, clothes drives, etc. But those don't make very exciting news stories.

I think it would be more fair to rename it "What fundamentalism has contributed to the world."

Isn't the OP's message about the same thing as saying "What bronies have contributed to the world this month" and then only focusing on the rabid idiot fans?  Sorry about the brony analogy, but there's been a lot of drama community lately and I just automatically thought of the parallel.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 02:08:48 pm »

Isn't the OP's message about the same thing as saying "What bronies have contributed to the world this month" and then only focusing on the rabid idiot fans?  Sorry about the brony analogy, but there's been a lot of drama community lately and I just automatically thought of the parallel.
Then it should be fair that there be a video about the good things religion has done, even the fundamental ones, if any.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 02:22:21 pm »

Then it should be fair that there be a video about the good things religion has done, even the fundamental ones, if any.

There is?  *rechecks the videos/OP's hyperlink*

Got a hyperlink to a good example?  I'm sure there are, but I'm lazy (and you brought it up).
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:27:51 pm »

There is?  *rechecks the videos/OP's hyperlink*

Got a hyperlink to a good example?  I'm sure there are, but I'm lazy (and you brought it up).
Hmm, trying to google for examples unfortunately leads to some fundy sites. I didn't think this one through.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 02:41:00 pm »
I think the best way to describe it is...

There are good people in spite of religion or the lack thereof, and there are bad people in spite of religion or the lack thereof.

It doesn't take religion to make a good person do evil things, either.  All it takes is a cause.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »
You can't justify this approach on any intellectual level, but it's emotionally satisfying to see them get back what they dish out.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:14:06 pm »
This month, religion has given me lots of puns about the Pope resigning.  I'm still running with those.

Anyone want to hear them?

Where did everyone go?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 02:28:22 pm »
Just goes to show, Scotty.  You should quit while you're a head of a major religion.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 06:45:15 pm »
Just goes to show, Scotty.  You should quit while you're a head of a major religion.

People keep telling me these puns will soon Peter out, but I don't believe them!

Apparently his resignation made a lot of people angry, in fact you could say they were incensed!

Don't worry, the new guy will soon Pope up!

There's talk that he may return, but I think it's a load of bull!

Thank you, I'm here all week!

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 01:11:18 am »
This is terrible.  People should have to pay for the indulgence of making too many puns.  Even better, if we all just stopped doing it en mass, we wouldn't have to deal with such nunsense.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 10:06:16 am »
Sorry, I've just got into a bad habit!  I'll altar my ways soon!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 02:58:59 pm »
Nun of these puns are funny you guys.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 04:35:37 pm »
They mitre been if we'd put some more thought into them.  We're just down to our bad abbots at this point.  But hey, out of the frying pan and into the friar.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا