Author Topic: 50 Reasons to Boycott the Catholic Church  (Read 3404 times)

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
50 Reasons to Boycott the Catholic Church
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:40:47 am »
A list of some of the contributions that the holy mother church has made to society over the ages.  And yes, I am being very sarcastic.

Somebody should try and let Micheal "(the pope is the)greatest man alive" Coren and Bryan Fischer know about this.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
Re: 50 Reasons to Boycott the Catholic Church
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:21:47 am »
Brilliant article. Even I - survivor of a Catholic upbringing - wasn't aware of many of these misdeeds.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:26:20 am by DrFishcake »

Offline Agni

• Bishop
  • Prōcrāstinātorum Prōcrāstinātricumque Rex
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:25:30 pm »
Further proof why no religion in the world should ever be trusted. They're all like this, filled with horrid malfeasance.

Offline Xander Zzyzx

• Apprentice
  • Now with 25% more devil
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:46:22 pm »
I'll admit that I just skimmed over the article, but most of those points are reasons why I don't go to church anymore, if not the molestations, the subsequent cover-ups and blaming of the victims, then it's the anti-gay actions as well as anti-choice actions that have been waged on members.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:09:15 pm »
Yeah, fuck the catholic church, truly a disgusting organization.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 02:38:36 pm »
What the church doesn't understand is that very few people would have blamed them for the molestations if they'd just acted responsibly.  Gotten the pedophiles put into prison, kept away from children.  By trying to hide it, they've damaged their reputation far worse.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 05:22:44 pm »
I just skimmed through the article, but that's all I needed.  Every day I get more and more hostile toward religion (particularly Christianity).  The Catholic church might as well adopt the motto "if it makes sense, it isn't allowed".  Pretty much everything they do is counterproductive because the God they worship is a dick who wants human to suffer for his amusement.  It's gotten to the point where even the more liberal churches piss me off with their sanctimonious holier than thou preaching.

Even the "good" they do is tarnished by stupidity. 

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 05:27:48 pm »
If you want to know what the Church's opinion will be on any new social or scientific advance, simply think of the most reactionary, anti-life stance you can imagine.  That will be the Church's position.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:12:49 pm »
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:50:40 pm »
Further proof why no religion in the world should ever be trusted. They're all like this, filled with horrid malfeasance.

Yes, the slights of one sect of one religion is proof that ALL religions are horrible.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 07:48:46 pm »
This is the one that got me:
25. They fight against equal marriage rights for same-sex couples. It's not enough for the Catholic church hierarchy that they refuse to perform church weddings for gay and lesbian couples; they want to write that prohibition into the civil law and deny marriage equality to everyone who doesn't fit their religious criteria, and have invested vast amounts of money and effort into doing so. In the 2012 election cycle alone, the church spent almost $2 million in an unsuccessful fight to defeat marriage-equality initiatives in four states.
Time to tax the fuckers. And that's my generous response; I'd prefer to do things to their chain of command that would make the Spanish Inquisition seem humane and ethical.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 01:41:04 am »
Ugh. Makes me wish I was an atheist sooner- I got confirmed back when I dealt with my crisis of faith by trying really really hard to be a good Catholic instead of examining the reasons for the crisis.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 06:25:59 am »
Why large organizations make poor religious institutions, generally. Seems more focused on the things that mean less for some reason.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 08:33:26 pm »
Shit like this is a LARGE part of why I left the Catholic faith in my early teens.  I was just disgusted with how the church as an organization worked, and I know many Catholics themselves that feel that way too.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter