Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1461843 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #7290 on: October 24, 2018, 03:39:09 pm »
Yeah but it's an indie game.  It's mandated by law to have a sad ending.

https://www.nerfnow.com/comic/2428

Ironbite-see?  Law.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #7291 on: October 24, 2018, 11:54:42 pm »
Then explain Red Dead Redemption's ending.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Wurdulac

• Neonate
« Reply #7292 on: October 25, 2018, 04:07:56 am »
Yeah but it's an indie game.  It's mandated by law to have a sad ending.

https://www.nerfnow.com/comic/2428

Ironbite-see?  Law.

Responding to that comic:  man, shit, that's just life.

"And then you and everyone you've ever cared about and everyone they've ever cared about ad infinitum dies, The End." -The Story of the Universe, final sentence.
Then again, I could be wrong.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7293 on: October 25, 2018, 04:17:17 am »
Hollow Knight.

a) I still hate sad endings.

Better than an ending where you realise you've been the bad guy/s all along but the game just sort of skips over the issue and doesn't expand upon it or properly explore it in any meaningful way...or the writers somehow didn't realise themselves that the "heroes"might actually be the bad guys. Yeah that's right, Gears of War 3, you know what you did.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7294 on: October 25, 2018, 08:26:13 am »
Hollow Knight.

Better than an ending where you realise you've been the bad guy/s all along but the game just sort of skips over the issue and doesn't expand upon it or properly explore it in any meaningful way...or the writers somehow didn't realise themselves that the "heroes"might actually be the bad guys. Yeah that's right, Gears of War 3, you know what you did.

Have you played any of the Black Ops games in the CoD franchise? In one of them the EEVIL plan of the villain is to cause the KILLER ROBOT ARMY of USA self destruct as vengeance for them murdering his sister during an illegal black ops mission. Another one starts with the villains painted as evil because they randomly shoot their own troops and kill civilians and the game ends with the heroes making a false flag attack and causing a genocide, an act which is seen as heroic I guess...

Oh and the Killzone series goes from "oh wow, these villains have a reason for being so angry due to the racism and mistreatment they have suffered" and eventually goes straight to "Did we just see the heroes commit genocide and kill nearly all of the civilians in the "evil" faction?"

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline a muslim Satanist

• Neonate
« Reply #7295 on: October 25, 2018, 08:02:36 pm »

Have you played any of the Black Ops games in the CoD franchise? In one of them the EEVIL plan of the villain is to cause the KILLER ROBOT ARMY of USA self destruct as vengeance for them murdering his sister during an illegal black ops mission. Another one starts with the villains painted as evil because they randomly shoot their own troops and kill civilians and the game ends with the heroes making a false flag attack and causing a genocide, an act which is seen as heroic
isn't the last one infinite war not black ops.

I may have to play it again because really I don't remember them making a false flag or causing a Genocide

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7296 on: October 26, 2018, 01:17:10 am »
Hollow Knight.

Have you played any of the Black Ops games in the CoD franchise? In one of them the EEVIL plan of the villain is to cause the KILLER ROBOT ARMY of USA self destruct as vengeance for them murdering his sister during an illegal black ops mission. Another one starts with the villains painted as evil because they randomly shoot their own troops and kill civilians and the game ends with the heroes making a false flag attack and causing a genocide, an act which is seen as heroic I guess...

Oh and the Killzone series goes from "oh wow, these villains have a reason for being so angry due to the racism and mistreatment they have suffered" and eventually goes straight to "Did we just see the heroes commit genocide and kill nearly all of the civilians in the "evil" faction?"

No I went off CoD after 4; imo the series lost what made it special after that. But that level of hypocrisy in the story telling actually doesn't surprise me based on what the series seems to have become, if the marketing is anything to go by.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7297 on: October 26, 2018, 01:41:18 am »

Have you played any of the Black Ops games in the CoD franchise? In one of them the EEVIL plan of the villain is to cause the KILLER ROBOT ARMY of USA self destruct as vengeance for them murdering his sister during an illegal black ops mission. Another one starts with the villains painted as evil because they randomly shoot their own troops and kill civilians and the game ends with the heroes making a false flag attack and causing a genocide, an act which is seen as heroic
isn't the last one infinite war not black ops.

I may have to play it again because really I don't remember them making a false flag or causing a Genocide

Might be.

They capture the massive enemy flagship and then go use that on a suicide mission to destroy the enemy shipyards.

EDIT:

a) Got back into playing X COM (2012) and I'm having fun.

b) I also tried to play Half-Life 2 but had much less fun because of two issues. One being that the subtitles in the game are translated in to Finnish and I can't find where to turn that off and it just seems so weird. The other was that the game wasn't registering my mouse clicks 50% of the time. I kept dying (often by getting stuck behind crates while chased by Manhacks) because the game wouldn't let me shoot or use my crowbar. Even using the buttons on the touchpad attached to my laptod didn't seem to help much.

c) Overwatch is a game that I have never played but I've always enjoyed the videos and if I get a better computer it is likely one of the things I'll buy for it. There's another two videos out now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKYVvPNhRR0 I love every second of this video and the characters in it. For some reason futuristic cowboys are an extremely appealing aesthetic for me. And not just sexually. (But also sexually though, once again reminding me of my bisexuality.) They even introduced one more character into the game
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:40:10 pm by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7298 on: November 03, 2018, 02:22:51 am »
The last at large member of a once notorious and powerful criminal organisation was finally taken down, signifying progress beyond a poorly settled and generally lawless frontier state. If you ask me, it was a pretty sweet ending.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #7299 on: November 03, 2018, 08:57:07 pm »
The last at large member of a once notorious and powerful criminal organisation was finally taken down, signifying progress beyond a poorly settled and generally lawless frontier state. If you ask me, it was a pretty sweet ending.

....That's not the ending.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7300 on: November 03, 2018, 09:09:40 pm »

....That's not the ending.

It's not? Oh wait, is the actual ending that his son aimlessly pisses about for eternity?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:38:40 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #7301 on: November 04, 2018, 01:00:35 am »
God damn it, I know you're doing that on purpose.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7302 on: November 04, 2018, 01:11:33 am »
Well, partially. It's been so long that if the ending really is something other than John walking out of the barn and getting fucked by the army, I've completely forgotten about it.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #7303 on: November 04, 2018, 01:49:22 am »
Well, the actual ending is when Jack tracks down Edgar Ross and murders him in cold blood for a pointless revenge, which is exact opposite of what John wanted for him, leaving Jack as a relic of a time the world has left behind with no place in the world and no real future.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7304 on: November 04, 2018, 02:45:43 am »
I'm not sure if I just forgot about it, or I never saw it in the first place. I remember finishing the game and being deeply, deeply hurt to see that I had 99.8% completion and seemingly no more random encounters to find. I just assumed I missed one earlier on in the run, but I guess there's a chance I just never found the true ending.