Author Topic: Gun debate: On codes on shell casings  (Read 4051 times)

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
Re: Gun debate: On codes on shell casings
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 07:37:54 am »
I got to fire an SKS as well, and I can see why you would need it (the one I used, owned by a relative, jammed like a box of jelly).

Mine used to, A LOT. I took it to a friend with a mill that designed a small ramp that fit just under the bolt and butted up against the breach of the barrel. I used 30 rounders at the time and it solved the feeding issue right away. After that, fires smooth as glass.
Most of the popular jams are just bad cleaning since these things get dipped in cosmo before storage
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 10:47:19 am »
Aren't there already ballistics tests for this sort of thing, to match up the marks on the bullet with individual guns?

It's not really all that reliable.

First of all: the bullet would have to be intact enough to make out the scratches left by the rifling, which isn't always the case. (Also, shotguns don't leave such markings.)

Second: Sometimes all that the rifling will reveal is the type of the gun used in the crime, sometimes even that isn't clear if several guns use the same cartridge and have similar rifling.

Third: Even if they did reveal the type of gun used, finding out the actual gun used in the crime would mean finding the unique imperfections and wear and tear in the gun which is even harder and these characteristic change as the gun is used. (Besides the criminal might just scrub the barrel really hard to change the barrel enough that it cannot be confirmed with 100% probability.)

As for proposed "fingerprinting" what if someone goes to the gun range to collect casings (some people collect them to reload their own ammo so there are legimite reasons for doing that) and plants them on the crime scene? (after gathering his own casings.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 01:29:51 am »
As to the shell-catchers? I learned something today. I suppose their proper use is to allow handloading of the shells later?

And the proper use for big vibrators is your back and the proper use for glass pipes is with tobacco and the proper use for sandwich baggies is for sandwiches. Just goes to show how much importance people put on proper use. :P
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 08:37:22 am »
As to the shell-catchers? I learned something today. I suppose their proper use is to allow handloading of the shells later?

And the proper use for big vibrators is your back and the proper use for glass pipes is with tobacco and the proper use for sandwich baggies is for sandwiches. Just goes to show how much importance people put on proper use. :P

I put my sandwiches in a glass jar.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 08:44:10 am »
I put mine in my belly.