Author Topic: A Victory in the Infowars!  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
A Victory in the Infowars!
« on: August 06, 2018, 10:52:12 pm »
The Infowars began back in 1995.  It was then that Alex Jones declared war on information, declaring that he would whip Info off the face of the Earth, and launch a terrible and unprovoked assault on Info, waging unceasing war upon it.  At first the threat seemed minor, but every day he grew stronger, and information started to retreat.  Jones's cruelty is unbelievable, the horror stories of his war crimes against countless innocent facts spread further terror and by the time his ally was elected president it started to seem hopeless.

But Information has not stood alone.  Info's friends and allies have come to it's aid, and today have made a get assault on many of his strongholds on Youtube, Facebook, Apple etc and destroyed him completely, sending Alex Jones running in full retreat!  https://www.vox.com/2018/8/6/17655658/alex-jones-facebook-youtube-conspiracy-theories

Sadly this is not the end of the infowars, Information still has many enemies and Jones will soon try to regroup, but it is none the less a major victory worthy of celebration.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: A Victory in the Infowars!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:05:55 pm »
Lana Reverse: CEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNSOOOOOORRRRSHIIIIIIIIIIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Deranged Hissing noises)
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 12:04:49 am »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:44:08 am »
This is what happens when you get rid of Net Neutrality.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:38:51 am »
This is what happens when you get rid of Net Neutrality.

No.  This has nothing to do with net neutrality.  Net neutrality, as far as I'm aware, has to do with service providers not being able to decide what areas of the internet they like and adjusting pricing and/or bandwidth accordingly, effectively creating the equivalent of premium TV packages, but with parts of the internet instead of HBO or Cinemax.

This is content curation.  This is a couple of corporations deciding they don't want Alex Jones spouting his retarded bullshit on their space.  He's free to create his own website, or find other forms of social media (I'm sure they'd love him over on Voat) in which he can spew his insane drivel and blatant product placement.  Its the equivalent of being kicked out of an office building for haranguing passersby.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 03:17:18 pm »
That was Art taking the piss Ravy.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 03:20:45 pm »
You mean Askold, blindy.  But yeah, text is a bitch for conveying tone...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 04:15:49 pm »
There's a lot of hypocrisy about this ban now.

Clearly this is not against the 1st Amendment in USA since this is not the government preventing them from talking.

It is also the first time that many of the Libertarians and Alt-Right are forced to admit that losing the ability to use a platform like Twitter, Youtube or Facebook is seriously limiting your ability to reach out to an audience. Hasn't stopped them from demanding the same to be done to people they dislike.

A lot of people are quoting (or misquoting) the famous "first they came for..." poem though some of them are ignoring the fact that the villains in the poem were Fascists and that many of those quoting it are Fascists who would like to silence those who disagree with them.

And it's not like Infowars was banned because the companies disagreed with their politics. Their death threats, harassing families of massacre victims and such were a violation of many of the rules that they had agreed to follow.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 09:23:54 pm »
One explanation I've heard is that this isn't even necessarily about Jones and Infowars violating those sites' Terms of Service, but about those sites insulating themselves from lawsuits.

Jones and Infowars are facing a number of lawsuits, particularly from Sandy Hook parents who have been repeatedly doxxed and harassed and sent death threats by Infowars viewers. (One family has had to move seven times and has not been able to return to visit their son's grave.) What Facebook, YouTube, et al are likely worried about is that if the suits against Infowars are successful, they'll be next, because they gave Infowars a platform.

It would be very hard for the plaintiffs to win that case, especially since those companies have armies of lawyers, but they don't want the bad press associated with it and so have kicked Infowars out in order to try to forestall any such suit and get themselves some good press.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 03:47:58 pm »
So why hasn't twitter?  Of course Jack gave that weak sauce explanation as to why they haven't so there's that.

Ironbite-seriously Twitter blocks Nazis in Germany because it's the law there, why not here in the States?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 04:27:22 pm »
So why hasn't twitter?  Of course Jack gave that weak sauce explanation as to why they haven't so there's that.

Ironbite-seriously Twitter blocks Nazis in Germany because it's the law there, why not here in the States?

Because it's not the law in the US?

The First Amendment's pretty absolute, after all.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 04:37:27 am »

Because it's not the law in the US?

The First Amendment's pretty absolute, after all.

True, but i think ibbles was going off of the other sites being worried about being roped up in the lawsuits Alex is being hit with over defamation of the Sandy Hook and Parkland families.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 08:14:11 am »
Also dpareja, First Amendment does not apply to private companies limiting their userbase.  The government can't censor you, but companies sure as hell can.

Ironbite-Jack's just a coward.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 10:16:09 am »
Also dpareja, First Amendment does not apply to private companies limiting their userbase.  The government can't censor you, but companies sure as hell can.

Ironbite-Jack's just a coward.

I'm well aware that the First Amendment doesn't apply to private companies and they can absolutely ban Infowars. My point was that a law ordering said censorship would be a violation of the First Amendment.

seriously Twitter blocks Nazis in Germany because it's the law there, why not here in the States?

Twitter blocks Nazis in Germany because they have to. Governments in the US cannot validly enact a similar law, which leaves the decision up to Twitter.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 05:49:30 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXrLrjT8N2g

My response: It's a proven fact that debunking doesn't work.  The only people who watch videos debunking Alex Jones are people who already know he's full of shit looking for entertainment.  People who believe conspiracy theories for emotional reasons don't watch such videos in the first place and if someone else forces them to they won't listen.  Preventing the spread of dangerous bullshit means we need to deny it oxygen, which is why I no longer hold to total free speech as a principle.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/9/17664752/alex-jones-twitter-ban-jack-dorsey-infowars

And again it wasn't just his speech, Jones was clearly inciting violence and harassment.  There have to be consequences for that, because otherwise it normalizes such actions and pushes the overton window in the wrong direction and they happen more frequently. 

Oh and BTW, Alex Jones's lawyer is now pushing for the home addresses of the Sandy Hook parents to be released to the public, cause he's an asshole.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/alex-jones-lawyer-seeks-to-make-addresses-of-sandy-hook-parents-public/ar-BBLGbnp?li=AAggFp5