Author Topic: Anti-vaxxers are dumb thread  (Read 28621 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Anti-vaxxers are dumb thread
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 05:13:21 pm »
Home schooling is, more likely than not, a complete sham designed by parents to keep their children as sheltered as possible.

Ironically, if the YECs in Texas get their way and completely dismantle public science education in the state, homeschooling would be one of only a handful of ways to teach kids proper science, if they're lucky.

Totally unregulated, of course -- just how the "privatize everything!" crowd likes it.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 08:15:05 pm »
Totally unregulated and expensive as hell.  Those books don't come cheap.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline OmniLiquid

• Neonate
  • Already lurked moar.
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 07:52:11 am »
Wouldn't it be possible to homeschool using free online materials (open textbooks, courseware, wiki, etc.), or are there some sort of regulations preventing that?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 08:32:33 am »
I think it varies from state by state...like a lot of matters that should be federal but we keep getting fucked out of that nice bit of useful standardization by the re-invention of the Anti-Federalists.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 01:49:21 am »
I don't think they're actually saying they'd rather have a dead child than an autistic one. They're ignorant of the potential effects of not vaccinating children and don't appear to understand herd immunity. Not that I'm trying to defend them in any way, as they piss me off more than most groups.

I think you mean they don't mean to say that. All the information is out there on vaccines. A quick search on your favorite browser will lay it all out there for you. If they are ignorant of potential effects, then we're talking about willed ignorance. But for all that, intentions don't count the same as outcomes.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 11:12:13 pm »
I don't think they're actually saying they'd rather have a dead child than an autistic one. They're ignorant of the potential effects of not vaccinating children and don't appear to understand herd immunity. Not that I'm trying to defend them in any way, as they piss me off more than most groups.

I think you mean they don't mean to say that. All the information is out there on vaccines. A quick search on your favorite browser will lay it all out there for you. If they are ignorant of potential effects, then we're talking about willed ignorance. But for all that, intentions don't count the same as outcomes.

I suppose that's what I mean. I certainly don't want to defend their ignorance, because they absolutely have access to plenty of information that could quickly clear up their nonsensical viewpoints.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 12:07:37 pm »
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/28/dear-diary-wales-new-zealand-british-columbia-the-measles-are-back-baby/

Diary of a Morbillivirus.

EDIT: Hilarious comments!

When I was a small boy back in the '40s, I thought that if you caught German Measles, you would break out in Swastikas.

Hey, Measles! I got an email from your cousin TB! He told me he's makin' big inroads in native communities and the poorer sections of our big cities!
But nobody seems to care (guess why?).
Anyhow cousin TB got some great new defences against all those drug-peddling medical folks- they can't stop him anymore.
Why don't join him? He's a real killer!
(cough cough) oops, Sorry! Excuse this bit of blood spattering.. Hey- is that part of my lung?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:17:23 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 09:26:53 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/anti-vaccine-message-from-some-naturopaths-raises-concerns-1.2609717

So some naturopaths in Alberta are more or less saying that people shouldn't get vaccinated against measles and whooping cough, and here's what the head of their professional society has to say about that:

We actually don't have a direct policy. People should do their due diligence and make the choice that's best for them.

I think it's a grey issue because it's an issue about children and about health and about parents' choices and that in this country, of course, we have the choice to vaccinate or not.

Thankfully, the provincial Minister of Health (Fred Horne) has decided to be blunt on the matter.

We know that vaccines are effective, we know they're safe and, you know, this is a matter of public health and protection of citizens generally, but in particular children and people in the population who are more susceptible.

These diseases kill people.

Will it matter that he said that? Probably not, because lots of people are easily frightened idiots.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 10:57:09 am »

Not super relevant, but it's funny.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 02:44:11 pm »
There are millions of sad little graves of children and babies who died for lack of vaccines in the older, pre-1950's sections of cemeteries. In those old sections, especially pre-1900, infant and child graves out-number the adult graves by a factor of 2 or 3 to 1.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2014, 07:48:41 am »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2014, 12:38:41 pm »

Okay, I love those responses, they're brilliant!

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2014, 04:01:31 pm »
Fuuuuuuck..... A baby too young to be immunized has caught the measles in my city. :(

http://globalnews.ca/news/1289203/alberta-infant-infected-with-measles-5th-case-in-edmonton-area/

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2014, 12:30:13 pm »

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2014, 01:21:11 pm »
And the Alberta measles outbreak continues: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/measles-outbreak-declared-in-calgary-edmonton-and-central-alberta-1.2626122

Meanwhile, this happens: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/30/metro-calgary-measles_n_5242331.html

For me personally, I weep more for the families struggling with autism. THIS is an epidemic/pandemic and a travesty that needs to be addressed. If 1 in 68 children in North America has autism, then what does that mean in a city of one million like Calgary? WAY too many. This measles outbreak that the media is hammering away at? Eight. Count them. Eight individual cases.

I feel that this photo accurately summarizes the situation:

"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)