Author Topic: Vo Nguyen Giap: badass  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Vo Nguyen Giap: badass
« on: October 07, 2013, 08:20:18 am »
He daeeeed.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/13826/state-funeral-for-legendary-general-vo-nguyen-giap

A State funeral will be held for the legendary General Vo Nguyen Giap, who died on October 4, according to an announcement of the Funeral Committee.

This dude was a top-shit badass. Like other national heroes- Washington, Cromwell, Adolfus, Frederick- he was also a complicated and contradictory person.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-13561646

His surname Vo translates as "force" and his first name Giap means "strong armour", fitting perhaps for a man who helped bring about the defeat of major military powers.

A dedicated communist, Vo Nguyen Giap never received formal military training but made his reputation as a talented strategist who engineered victories against forces which were, technically, far better equipped.

Born in 1911 in Quang Binh Province in central Vietnam, then part of French Indochina, he was the son of a rice grower and attended local schools before, at the age of 14, joining a clandestine nationalist movement...

The rest of that article is fairly good, too.

What do we think?

IMO, this is an end of an age.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Vo Nguyen Giap: badass
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:41:56 pm »
His command at Dien Bien Phu was pretty good and he really destroyed the French troops there.

It did help that the French did everything they could to underestimate their opponent and the difficulties created by the terrain but this does not diminish the great tactics and logistic work done by general Giap. His use of bisycles to move supplies for thousands of soldiers through dense jungle was something that took the western world by suprise. He showed once again that racism and prejudices are a liability to a commander as he proved yet again that even non-white people can be able soldiers and clever leaders.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »
In the exact style of the famous historical generals he studied and idolized, he was also completely ruthless at throwing away the lives of soldiers en masse to achieve victory. That said, when you are the underdog as to materiel and fuel, that is the only way to win a war against a superior opponent.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 05:35:22 pm »
Hannibal is still my favorite general.

Freaking elephants, man.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 06:27:21 pm »
If you're good at it, you're good at it.  Rommel comes to mind.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 12:50:06 am »
In the exact style of the famous historical generals he studied and idolized, he was also completely ruthless at throwing away the lives of soldiers en masse to achieve victory. That said, when you are the underdog as to materiel and fuel, that is the only way to win a war against a superior opponent.
At least he stopped using the massed wave attacks after a while despite the Chinese advisors always insisting that "those are totally the shit."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 12:53:48 am »
At least he stopped using the massed wave attacks after a while despite the Chinese advisors always insisting that "those are totally the shit."

Interesting fact: he was actually outnumbered by the French at the time of DBP. The French had more d00ds in Vietnam than he did (of course, he had more d00ds at DBP, but that was his genius).
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR