Author Topic: A lawmaker in Tennesse is warning parents...  (Read 5243 times)

Miles11

A lawmaker in Tennesse is warning parents...
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:14:43 am »
To keep their children from watching Modern Family.

Because they'll find out that gay people exist.

Before the House education subcommittee acted, chairman Joey Hensley scored bonus points by admonishing all Tennessee parents not to let their children watch “Modern Family” on television because they might discover there are homosexuals in the world.

“I don’t think ‘Modern Family’ is appropriate for children to watch,” Hensley said solemnly after a Nashville preacher testified children might find out about gay people by seeing the show even if teachers aren’t allowed to say gay in schools.

The state Senate adopted the “don’t say gay” bill last year but amended it first to allow only the teaching of “natural human reproduction science."

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/02/tennessee-lawmaker-warns-parents-not-to-watch-modern-family-because-their-children-might-discover-ga.html - Source.

To paraphrase a comment on the site, by this logic, won't this make it impossible to watch things like Lord of the Rings because they star a gay actor, or 3/4 of the extremely popular reality TV series because they have gay contestants?

Or even Republican debates, because they mention gay people.

Either way, it's just silly.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
Re: A lawmaker in Tennesse is warning parents...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:30:05 am »
Uh, how long do they really think they can hide the realities of the world from their not-nearly-as-innocent-as-they-think children?
-A Pen Name

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:36:41 am »
Uh, how long do they really think they can hide the realities of the world from their not-nearly-as-innocent-as-they-think children?

For as long as they can plug their ears and yell really loud. Which is a surprisingly long time for Republicans. All that hot air they're full of lets them bellow mindlessly for ages.

Offline Servo

• Bishop
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:01:07 am »
Heh, my 8 year old sister's favourite show is Modern Family, so it's too late for her! Oops...  ::)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:02:32 am »
To keep their children from watching Modern Family.

Because they'll find out that gay people exist.

Before the House education subcommittee acted, chairman Joey Hensley scored bonus points by admonishing all Tennessee parents not to let their children watch “Modern Family” on television because they might discover there are homosexuals in the world.

“I don’t think ‘Modern Family’ is appropriate for children to watch,” Hensley said solemnly after a Nashville preacher testified children might find out about gay people by seeing the show even if teachers aren’t allowed to say gay in schools.

The state Senate adopted the “don’t say gay” bill last year but amended it first to allow only the teaching of “natural human reproduction science."

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/02/tennessee-lawmaker-warns-parents-not-to-watch-modern-family-because-their-children-might-discover-ga.html - Source.

To paraphrase a comment on the site, by this logic, won't this make it impossible to watch things like Lord of the Rings because they star a gay actor, or 3/4 of the extremely popular reality TV series because they have gay contestants?

Or even Republican debates, because they mention gay people.

Either way, it's just silly.

Um...I knew gay people existed from fundies bashing gay people so much.

In fact, homophobia has driven me to learn more and more about gay people, simply so I could figure out what they were doing that was so horrible.

I have come to the conclusion that homophobes are completely unaware that there exist heterosexual couples who like buttsex.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:12:19 am »
Um...I knew gay people existed from fundies bashing gay people so much.

In fact, homophobia has driven me to learn more and more about gay people, simply so I could figure out what they were doing that was so horrible.

I have come to the conclusion that homophobes are completely unaware that there exist heterosexual couples who like buttsex.
One tract I read through had its entire argument based around "gay people do VERY SICK AND DISTURBING SEX ACTS!"

Based upon my time at the Museum of Sex in NYC, I can confirm straight, bi and gay people all do weird and disgusting stuff. God bless em'!  :'(

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:17:34 am »

For as long as they can plug their ears and yell really loud.
And while they are doing that, their kids are off running around learning about the real world in the most reckless and dangerous ways possible. Then they come home, with no idea why their genitals are itching or how the hell they got pregnant.
-A Pen Name

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:24:01 am »

For as long as they can plug their ears and yell really loud.
And while they are doing that, their kids are off running around learning about the real world in the most reckless and dangerous ways possible. Then they come home, with no idea why their genitals are itching or how the hell they got pregnant.

But they learned what they did to do those things from evil people like gays and atheists, who have no morals and are teaching kids to have unprotected buttsex with animals. Or something.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:22 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo</a>

Sorry, it had to be said...because we all know teh gay is EVIL!!!

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 01:15:49 pm »
*groan*

How stupid do these people think their children really are? It also amazes me that they actually think that you can "protect" your kids from the real world just by not letting them watch a tv show.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 02:25:59 pm »
They aren't ignoring reality at all. Even as they cry about their kids being "exposed," they're going to turn around & teach them all about how "gays are evil & these are the sick things that they do." They just don't want anyone teaching acceptance, but that makes them sound like a roving gang of douchehats, so they try to frame it as "inappropriate for the age level." Because the guy screaming about fag drags is easy to dismiss, but if they can make an argument that looks sensible, people might be unwilling or unable to do that extra bit of research & logic to expose the steaming core of bullshit.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:27:57 pm by Lithp »

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 04:05:01 pm »
Parents should be warned that they and their children are living in Tennessee.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 04:13:44 pm »
Holy shit! You mean there might be a show that displays gays as regular people and not the monsters they are all portraying them to be? The world is going to end...

These people seriously need to lighten up. They talk about how all those eeeeeevil dumbocrats want to tell you how to live, because they know best, yet they go and pull shit like this. Seriously? Telling them not to watch, or allow their children to watch a tv show? That's far more invasive than any imaginary thing democrats or liberals suggest.
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17:47 pm »
They aren't ignoring reality at all. Even as they cry about their kids being "exposed," they're going to turn around & teach them all about how "gays are evil & these are the sick things that they do." They just don't want anyone teaching acceptance, but that makes them sound like a roving gang of douchehats, so they try to frame it as "inappropriate for the age level." Because the guy screaming about fag drags is easy to dismiss, but if they can make an argument that looks sensible, people might be unwilling or unable to do that extra bit of research & logic to expose the steaming core of bullshit.

I didn't say they were ignoring it. What I said is that they're trying to protect their kids from it.  It's like the kind of logic where "If I don't let my kids be exposed to it outside of my teachings until they move out of the house, then they'll always think I'm right".  Of course, this usually fails or backfires horribly on pretty much any subject.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 04:40:57 pm »
Yeah a show that is portraying gays as something other then catty bitches or comedic foils is somehow going to destroy children.  So we just won't talk about it because if we don't talk about shit, they won't want to know about it.  That's how that works.

Ironbite-how do these people keep getting elected?