Author Topic: Things just got real in Ukraine  (Read 37887 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Things just got real in Ukraine
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2014, 04:45:19 am »
There have been mysterious funerals at Russia for soldiers and a grieving mother (or was it a widow? I can't find a story about it now) announced on Facebook that her son died fighting in Ukraine but then she deleted the post and claimed that he is alive and well.

Meanwhile Finland signed a treaty with NATO allowing them to place troops into Finland and transport them through Finland. The last time such a deal was made was when Nazi troops were allowed to "move their troops in Norway to and from vacations through Finland" which was the cover up for allowing them to attack Soviet union from Finnish regions. Also, the deal we made with USSR right after WW2 was specifically against things like this.

Unsuprisingly the leftist parties in Finland are rather incensed about this treaty.

EDIT: And for the third time within the last seven days Russian aircraft has entered Finnish airspace. Soon, I am going to have to put my wife and kids in a car and send them to grandparents and take taxi to the nearest military base...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:51:35 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2014, 09:14:29 am »
Thankfully Finland should have less to worry about.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2014, 02:54:44 pm »
The Russian planes visiting the Finnish airspace don't represent an acute threat - this happens pretty often and probably at least sometimes by an honest accident due to the narrowness of the international airspace between Finland and Estonia. This time it's obvious these incursions are intentional but I don't see them as a direct threat yet. They are probably just an expression of annoyance about Finland arranging a common war training with NATO in Turku and an attempt at getting Finland reconsider the co-operation with NATO. We have a stable political system and satisfied Russian minority unlike in Ukraine so Putin would have to do serious setting up propagandawise before presenting any serious threat. Yes, there has occasionally been some distorted information in the Russian media during the last few years in Russian media but nothing nearly serious enough.

Regarding the actual co-operation: I'm seriously annoyed at the way the politicians are dealing with the situation. It's obvious that there is an intent by the right-wing parties to slowly inch closer to NATO without actually having an open public discussion about the issue - it never seems the right time to have the discussion according to them. Having Russia react threateningly only serves to scare people into supporting the NATO option more. The NATO membership wouldn't be a huge issue for me if it and possible other options were discussed more honestly beforehand. (What other options? For example a defense union with Sweden which accordingly to the researcher Charly Salonius-Pasternak would give both countries an affordable and credible defense.)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2014, 10:58:16 pm »
And while we're on the subject of NATO getting serious:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/01/nato-ukraine_n_5749262.html

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #229 on: September 02, 2014, 01:44:48 am »
Putin has nothing to fear from the US putting boots on the ground to get him out of the Ukraine.  He does have everything to fear from NATO deciding to put boots on the ground to get him out of the Ukraine.

Ironbite-he's either gonna start WWIII or be shot in the head by someone with some sanity.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #230 on: September 02, 2014, 01:57:11 am »
Nine tenths of NATO firepower is American, of course. So, yes, Putin does have to fear US involvement.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2014, 07:45:41 am »
Putin has nothing to fear from the US putting boots on the ground to get him out of the Ukraine.  He does have everything to fear from NATO deciding to put boots on the ground to get him out of the Ukraine.

Ironbite-he's either gonna start WWIII or be shot in the head by someone with some sanity.
Hopefully the latter.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #232 on: September 06, 2014, 03:47:34 pm »
RUSSIA! What are you doing?!!?

Well for starters:

a) They kidnapped an Estonian police officer from the Estonian side of the border and claim that he was at Russia spying on them.

This happened just few days after Obama visited Estonia and promised that USA and NATO have their back.
http://news.postimees.ee/2911015/estonian-security-police-officer-kidnapped-taken-to-russia-at-gunpoint

b) They are burying several Russian soldiers at different locations (Finnish article mentioned funerals at a Russian base near the arctic sea.) Supposedly these have nothing to do with the happening in Ukraine, but there are suspicions and claims that bodies all over Russia to cover up their losses in Ukraine.

http://rbth.com/international/2014/08/30/rumors_swirl_over_mysterious_funerals_for_russian_paratroopers__39415.html

c) This is related to the previous but some of the Russian soldiers are being held prisoners of war in Ukraine.
http://news.yahoo.com/army-wives-urge-russia-come-clean-soldiers-ukraine-185525694.html

EDIT: USA What have YOU been doing?!

http://scgnews.com/leaked-documents-ukraines-new-president-works-for-the-us-state-department

I am going to read more about this but it appears that the current Ukrainian president is, or at least was working for USA...

Aaand the wikileak in question: https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/06KIEV1706_a.html#efmAZUAZ-

....And after reading the wikileaks and seeing some other opinions on it it seems that they were misinterpreted. It says:
During an April 28 meeting with Ambassador, Our Ukraine (OU) insider Petro Poroshenko

And "Our Ukrain" is the name of the party. So they are not saying that Poroshenko is their insider they are saying that Poroshenko is an insider in OU...

That was embarrassing...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:57:28 pm by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!