Author Topic: Misconceptions About America  (Read 6475 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Misconceptions About America
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 09:22:48 am »
"if you speak bad english you're a new yorker if you speak good english you're either british or gay possibly both. it's better to be marginal on languages alot of times"

I was reminded of this thread by this lovely quote from someone in a chat room I go to.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 09:29:27 am »
Don't forget that the most ignorant of people are often times the loudest and that is why they seem to get noticed more.

This this this! Also, our TV doesn't exactly help us. I remember over in Germany I was drinking in a local pub. I had this nasty habit of running as far away from the military base as fast as I could every chance I could get. Anyways, so I'm drinking at this bar and chatting with the guy next to me. He realized I was an American and starting watching me. Turns out, he was waiting for me to throw a chair. Yup. He thought if he waited long enough, I'd get pissed at someone and throw my chair at him/her. But why? Jerry Springer. What he knew about America came from TV shows like Springer, WWF (wrestling at the time), Simpsons, and other shows and movies that might not accurately portray America. He told me he knew those shows couldn't be that real, but he had nothing to base it on. So I think that's part of our problem.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 11:24:11 am »
"In america nobody ever has to work, everybody is rich"
I love this notion because it makes no sense whatsoever.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 01:04:48 pm »

Sure it does, but sit tight, because the following conspiracy will blow ya motherfuckin' mind.

In the 1st Century, Hero of Alexandria invented a prototype steam engine, thus beginning the Industrial Revolution some 17 centuries before its commonly assumed start point. Because of this, the real world is actually enjoying the sort of technology we expect to see in the 38th Century, including hyperrealistic simulation. As a consequence, in the real world, the United States is in fact a glorious, technologically assisted post-scarcity society at an end-of-history state as envisioned by the likes of Marx and Fukuyama, but with one catch - those of us not part of the elite are condemned to this Philip-K-Dick-style simulated world, filled with nonexistent problems and social issues.

That said, there is good news. Those of us in the Rebel Coalition on the Outside have been working on a new program, designed to break the simulation and fracture its logic. We call it Operation Modern Republican Party, or OMORP, and if we can get the program to infiltrate the software completely, the apparent reality should break apart. Recently we've managed to really move ahead in what the program can do and achieve, but we need your help from the Inside.

This fall, support OMORP. Vote Rick Santorum.

This ad is paid for by OMORP and the Bizarre Satirical Asspull Committee.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »
...Are you on acid?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 01:48:18 pm »

I had an ex from Europe that thought along this line.
"Well you work full time"
Yeah, I do, at a McDonald's. I make 8 bucks an hour.
"Well I'm sure once you compare inflation and such, we're both making about the same"
No. the cost of living is around 11 bucks an hour easy*. My current pay rate allows me an apartment, barely pay my bills to keep water, heat and electric, and nothing for food save what I can scrounge at work.
"It can't be that bad"
Ooooh yes it can.

*keep in mind this was back before the economy went belly up
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 01:50:08 pm »
But then, CTraK, where do the reptilians fit into all this? Are we actually reptilians but have been brainwashed into thinking that we are mammals?
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 02:53:17 pm »
Okay, I'm tired of this whole "Reptilian" thing.

Reptiles are not evil creatures.  They may be alien to us mammals, but they're not evil.  So this notion that "reptile aliens are plotting evil things" is just a conspiracy theory trope that brings angry to my mind.

Reptiles are awesome.  I'm tired of them being portrayed as evil. :(

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 03:56:12 pm »
...Are you on acid?

Or, to put it another way...

No. In fact, I'm fairly sure that even the effects of the Pepsi I had this afternoon had worn off by the time I wrote that.

But then, CTraK, where do the reptilians fit into all this? Are we actually reptilians but have been brainwashed into thinking that we are mammals?

The reptiles are fine, they don't want anything to do with us. Give 'em a hot rock to bask on and there's no issue.

No, the issue is with the insects, breeding and entering our homes in constant invasion attempts. Luckily for us, they are a) stupid, and b) quite literally spineless bastards.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.