Author Topic: Christian Mingle ordered to accommodate gay singles  (Read 6221 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Christian Mingle ordered to accommodate gay singles
« on: July 04, 2016, 08:13:00 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/christian-mingle-same-sex-dating-lgbt-lawsuit-california-1.3663871

God-loving gay singles have won the right to mingle on the world's most popular Christian dating site — and every other faith-based matchmaking network owned by its parent company, following a California court ruling.

Spark Networks, which owns ChristianMingle, JDate, and LDSSingles.com ("the largest dating site by Mormons for Mormons"), first came under legal fire in 2013 after two gay men noticed that new members could only search for dates of the opposite sex.

In filing a class-action lawsuit, the men alleged that Spark was breaking California anti-discrimination laws by making it impossible for members of the LGBT community to use its services.

Same-sex Christian couples couldn't be matched through ChristianMingle because members couldn't register as gay in the first place.

Naturally, there's blowback:

https://twitter.com/lord_mykkel/status/749998986279391232

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/ChristineRousselle/2016/07/03/christian-mingle-ordered-to-accept-gay-singles-n2186922
@chadfelixg another lgbt bully verdict When will people catch on that lgbt runs the New Jim crow?

https://twitter.com/caroline_stout/status/748955607286226944

It's a direct assault on our religious liberty to demand @christianmingle accommodate men seeking men & women seeking women.

Disgraceful.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spirituality/2606546-dating-site-christianmingle-settles-discrimination-lawsuit-2.html

Weird. I thought "Christian Mingle" was a website for Christians to mingle. I guess that's not allowed.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Christian Mingle ordered to accommodate gay singles
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 09:06:58 pm »
Moar fundy tears, mm refreshing!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 09:11:34 pm »
Personally, I'd rather they not be forced to accommodate gay people. The more people that Christians (and every other religion for that matter) alienate, the better.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 09:26:30 pm »
Personally, I'd rather they not be forced to accommodate gay people. The more people that Christians (and every other religion for that matter) alienate, the better.

Ah, beating the "religion is evil" drum again?  I could explain why that's a ludicrously simplistic viewpoint, but you'd probably just plug your ears.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:30:51 pm »

Ah, beating the "religion is evil" drum again?  I could explain why that's a ludicrously simplistic viewpoint, but you'd probably just plug your ears.

Not "evil", but it is an inherently bad thing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:34:42 pm »

How so?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 09:43:26 pm »

How so?
Yo

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 09:47:21 pm »
Anyway, this is dumb because it assumes you can't be gay and Christian.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 09:48:35 pm »

Which one? Christian Mingle's policy or the court order?
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 09:50:28 pm »

The former, obviously.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 10:08:10 pm »

How so?
Yo
CAN WE DERAIL TRHEAD SO I CAN DISCUSS HOW ME BEING OPPRESSED PLS?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 10:12:24 pm »

The former, obviously.

Sorry, I was distracted while replying and derped.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 01:15:47 am »
That makes me nervous. Its their own site, just dont use it.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 02:58:58 am »

Or, if you offer a service, you offer it to everyone equally or not at all.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 03:09:11 am »

Or, if you offer a service, you offer it to everyone equally or not at all.

Honestly? I don't agree. Private companies have the right to refuse service to anyone they choose, and I don't think a court order should be able to force otherwise. It's a private business, after all. I mean, would you feel the same way if, say, some social justice activists decided to set up a dating service where straight people couldn't apply, and they sued and won the right to force this dating service to accommodate them?

Basically, what I'm saying is, "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" shouldn't have an asterisk saying "except marginalized groups".
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.