Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387012 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #240 on: December 22, 2016, 08:16:11 pm »
I thought this was some good analysis about the similarities between the end of Romen democracy and the current state of the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/19/opinion/how-republics-end.html

EDIT

And just in case you didn't think Donald Trump was the piece of putrid vomit, when his nephew challenged the Terms of Fred Trump's will claiming that Donald had “procured (the will) by fraud and undue influence” on his Alzheimer’s suffering father leaving less for his nephew.  Donald responded by cutting off his chronically ill infant son's health care.

The baby survived, and the courts forced Donald to resume health care coverage, but yeah that's the fucking president.  God help us all.  http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/what-sort-of-man-is-donald-trump
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:39:59 pm by Skybison »

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2016, 11:53:43 pm »
And the thing is, there will come a point where even Faux Noise will be going "The President royally fucked up today, here's a panel of experts on how he fucked up," and he'll cut off their access to him.

Ironbite-he's going to destroy media relations in this country.

Psh, he doesn't even need Fox News now.

“Trump TV” announces new 24-hour network will get access to White House press briefings

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #242 on: December 24, 2016, 06:01:39 am »
So, we've had our little recounts and we've tried to get the electoral college to do the undemocratic thing.

Now that's all over, can we echo the sage words of one Hillary R. Clinton and call on the losing side to accept the result of the election without (further) violence and shenanigans?

^_^

Odd, most of the violence and "shenanigans" have come from Trump's side. In fact, there have been almost 1000 reported hate crimes since the election, constituting a considerable uptick. Funny that when you elect a demagogue that ran on fear, bigotry, and scapegoating vulnerable minorities, people who already had those prejudices feel emboldened and lash out at those vulnerable minorities.
We both know he's trolling and doesn't care about that fact, or any other facts really.

It's not why he's here.

Expect enraged squeals of "I'm not an anti semite", regardless - his style of "debate" fits the profile like a glove.

You know, if I were on your side of the aisle, I might be a little more circumspect about throwing around accusations of antisemitism.

Given how snuggly the left has gotten with militant islamist groups in the last few years it may expose more about you than you initially hoped.

And that's not even getting into the nasty undercurrent of antisemitism that occasionally leaks out of the Labour party in this country.  It seems to have crept in with the resurgence of the marxists under Corbyn.  Funny that XD

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #243 on: December 24, 2016, 06:33:38 am »
You know, Contrarian, if I were throwing around accusations and links I would first like to verify if they are true: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/dec/23/jewish-students-union-denies-claims-rife-antisemitism-uk-universities

Are there incidents of anti-semitism in UK universities? Yes. Are some of them "no-go zones" for Jews? No, that's is a horrible exaggeration.

Besides, what "islamist groups" are "Tolpuddle Martyr's aisle" supporting or are you conflating all Muslims with terrorists?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #244 on: December 24, 2016, 04:50:42 pm »
Way to underscore my point Conty, fling an obviously trite accusation and watch the sparks fly. Saying that the "left" is "in bed" with militant Islamists simply because most lefties aren't openly sectarian towards Muslims is completely daft.

Tell us Contrarian, was it lefties like me or right wing trolls that came up with the "le happy merchant" meme? There are plenty of antisemitic trolls on "your side of the aisle" too. 

Or better yet, don't. THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT CONTRARIAN AND HIS BLOVIATING POINTS!!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:03:15 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #245 on: December 24, 2016, 08:58:40 pm »
Way to underscore my point Conty, fling an obviously trite accusation and watch the sparks fly. Saying that the "left" is "in bed" with militant Islamists simply because most lefties aren't openly sectarian towards Muslims is completely daft.

Tell us Contrarian, was it lefties like me or right wing trolls that came up with the "le happy merchant" meme? There are plenty of antisemitic trolls on "your side of the aisle" too. 

Or better yet, don't. THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT CONTRARIAN AND HIS BLOVIATING POINTS!!!

Seems to me like that's exactly what he wants.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #246 on: December 30, 2016, 09:17:05 am »
The Economist and YouGov released a poll they did from December 17 to 20, and some of the results are pretty embarrassing.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ljv2ohxmzj/econTabReport.pdf

For example (p. 53), 17% of Trump voters think the climate is not changing... despite overwhelming scientific evidence in the opposite direction. (If there's any real debate in the scientific community over climate change, it's over whether or not we can still fix it before the planet becomes uninhabitable for us.)

Page 54: 31% of people polled--with 22% of Clinton voters and 31% of Trump voters--think that vaccines definitely or probably have been shown to cause autism.

Page 55: 25% of people polled think the US government definitely or probably  helped plan the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Page 56: 53% (!) of people polled think that Saddam Hussein definitely or probably had WMDs that the US never found, including 33% of Clinton voters and 68% (!!) of Trump voters.

Page 57: 52% of people polled think the 2008 financial crash was definitely or probably orchestrated by Wall Street bankers.

Page 58: 36% of people polled think that President Obama was definitely or probably born in Kenya, including 52% (!!!) of Trump voters.

Page 59: 52% of people polled think it is definitely or probably true that Russia hacked the DNC's and Podesta's e-mails to help Trump win, including 87% of Clinton voters.

Page 60: 38% of people polled think that Pizzagate was definitely or probably true, including 46% (!!) of Trump voters.

Page 61: 46% of people polled think that millions of illegal votes were definitely or probably cast in the election, including 62% (!) of Trump voters.

Page 62: And if it looks like I'm ragging on Trump voters, well... 37% of people polled think it is definitely or probably true that Russia tampered with vote tallies to help elect Trump, including 50% (!!!) of Clinton voters.

Also, for some other stuff:

Page 90: 53% of respondents have a favourable opinion of President Obama. (5% expressed no opinion.)

Page 91: 45% of respondents have a favourable opinion of President-Elect Trump. (6% expressed no opinion.)

Page 92: 40% of respondents have a favourable opinion of Secretary Clinton. 65% expressed no opinion.)

Page 93: 48% of respondents have a favourable opinion of Vice President Biden. (18% expressed no opinion.)

Page 94: 39% of respondents have a favourable opinion of Vice President-Elect Pence. (24% expressed no opinion.)

Page 95: 32% of respondents have a favourable opinion of Speaker Ryan. (26% expressed no opinion.)

Page 96: 17% of respondents have a favourable opinion of Senator McConnell. (38% expressed no opinion.)

Page 97: 26% of respondents have a favourable opinion of Representative Pelosi. (28% expressed no opinion.)

Page 98: 22% of respondents have a favourable opinion of Senator Reid. (37% expressed no opinion.)

Page 99: 22% of respondents have a favourable opinion of Senator Schumer. (48% expressed no opinion.)

(They did not report questions about opinions of other figures, like Senator Sanders or Senator Warren; I do not know if they asked.)

Pages 100-101: 43% of respondents have a favourable opinion of the Democratic Party (12% expressed no opinion); 37% have a favourable opinion of the Republican Party (13% expressed no opinion).

Page 104: 48% of respondents strongly or somewhat approve of President Obama's handling of the presidency. (9% expressed no opinion.)

Page 108: 61% of respondents like President Obama, whether "a lot" or "somewhat." (11% expressed no opinion.)

Page 121: 45% of respondents like President-Elect Trump, whether "a lot" or "somewhat." (10% expressed no opinion.)

Page 125: Only 11% (!!) of respondents strongly or somewhat approve of the way Congress is handling its job. (15% expressed no opinion.)

Page 127: 36% of respondents have a favourable opinion of Congressional Democrats. (16% expressed no opinion.)

Page 128: 27% of respondents have a favourable opinion of Congressional Republicans. (16% expressed no opinion.)

Page 129: 30% of respondents somewhat or strongly approve of the way Speaker Ryan is handling his job. (31% expressed no opinion.)

Page 130: 21% of respondents somewhat or strongly approve of the way Senator McConnell is handling his job (as Senate Majority Leader). (38% expressed no opinion.)

Page 131: 25% of respondents somewhat or strongly approve of the way Senator Reid is handling his job (as Senate Minority Leader). (39% expressed no opinion.)

Page 132: 25% of respondents somewhat or strongly approve of the way Representative Pelosi is handling her job (as House Minority Leader). (34% expressed no opinion.)

Page 133: 44% of respondents think this Congress has accomplished less than Congress typically does at this point in its life. (27% expressed no opinion.)

Page 134: Of that 44%: 13% think Democrats are more to blame for this Congress accomplishing less than usual, 40% think Republicans are more to blame, and 43% blame both parties equally. (1% blame neither; 2% expressed no opinion.)

Page 143: 28% of respondents think the ACA should be expanded, 11% think it should be kept the same, and 41% think it should be repealed; 20% expressed no opinion. (Note: I do not know if the question asked about the "Affordable Care Act" or "Obamacare.")
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #247 on: December 30, 2016, 10:28:12 am »
To be fair on the Pizzagate thing, while it's most likely not true, it does sound pretty probable. It sounds to me like the kind of thing a politician in America would do.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #248 on: December 30, 2016, 06:23:43 pm »
Pizzagate does not deserve fairness. It's a fake news story from 4chan idiots hoping to stir shit up. Due to gullibility, and people thinking that folks they don't like "totally would have done that" they succeeded.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:08:24 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #249 on: December 30, 2016, 06:56:11 pm »
Tol, your latter link isn't working. Or a link at all.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #250 on: December 30, 2016, 07:08:39 pm »
Tol, your latter link isn't working. Or a link at all.
Fixed, sorry.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #251 on: December 30, 2016, 07:21:34 pm »
It sounds plausible in the wake of the UK's Pedogeddon scandal.  If that had never broken, it'd be on the level of the eighties Satanic Panic.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #252 on: December 30, 2016, 07:27:20 pm »
Yeah admittedly - if Jimmy Savile (seriously, his last name has VILE in it) had not been revealed to be basically a comic book supervillain on the order of Norman Osborn, this would be on the level of the eighties Satanic Panic.

However, it cannot be ignored that this conspiracy theory posits that a random pizza place was used as the site for child sex slavery, including a place that did not exist.

The Savile thing had evidence, and he was creepy in person.

The pizza place was hurt by fake news which sadly sounded real enough to people who don't think research is necessary, just THE FEELING they are right.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #253 on: December 30, 2016, 07:40:27 pm »
Yeah, ultimately I think a conspiracy theory should be judged on what we know to be true as opposed to what we think certain people are capable of. Certainly that can be a mitigating factor but by itself it proves exactly Jack.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #254 on: December 31, 2016, 05:59:54 pm »
By the way, you know that old song-and-dance about how racial resentment got Trump elected? Yeah, turns out he won a greater share of the PoC vote than Romney did in 2012.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.