Author Topic: Our New Thing  (Read 26595 times)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Our New Thing
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:39:41 pm »
With the forums splitting from FSTDT, the community needs a New Thing™ to keep it anchored and vibrant, and to draw in new blood (and maybe even some fun debate opponents). This will be a thread for brainstorming ideas. (Hope there isn't one already. I didn't see one)

One idea I've heard is for a podcast. Seems very doable.

I'd like to suggest maybe a YouTube channel. Frequently Question Answers is a great name for a YouTube channel, after all. Forumites could collaborate on videos about science, history, religion, and current events, focussing on debunking myths and misconceptions. I'd be willing and able to donate art, research, writing, and maybe even voice overs.

Any other ideas?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Our New Thing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:42:36 pm »
I've done podcasts before.  That sounds like a blast!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

wrightway

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 08:46:25 pm »
Is there anyway to bring focus to the entertainment section? We have some brilliant writers and artists on this forum.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 08:56:31 pm »
Damnit, thread ninja'd!

The podcast was my idea and I'd love to be involved with it. I also suggested a website withe various articles or a blog. I'd be more than happy to contribute to that as well. I'm not sure what I could do to help with videos though. I can't really make the visuals themselves, but I might be able to do scripts and narration.

Another guy who lives in Tulsa already does great videos and my favorite podcast under the name "The Thinking Atheist" on YouTube. He happened to make an episode of his podcast a while back focusing specifically on video production.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:02:51 pm »
I also suggested a website withe various articles or a blog.
I like the idea of a website with articles. There would need to be a team to vet and proofread them, but I'd be willing to help with that.

Is there anyway to bring focus to the entertainment section? We have some brilliant writers and artists on this forum.
If we go with the website and articles idea, there could be posts or a section highlighting the creative endeavors of forum members. A podcast or a YouTube channel could do the same.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:45:10 pm »
One thing we should do is try and make sure that anyone who searches for FSTDT will see the forums in the results.  Even if they are listed as the former FSTDT boards.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:47:56 pm »
One thing we should do is try and make sure that anyone who searches for FSTDT will see the forums in the results.  Even if they are listed as the former FSTDT boards.

And how do we make sure it's so high on the search result list?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 09:48:40 pm »
...I wanted to do a FSTDT podcast at one point but no one wanted to participate in it but if you do get one started I want to be a part of it.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:57:44 pm »

And how do we make sure it's so high on the search result list?

I was really hoping someone else would know how to do that.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

wrightway

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 10:06:46 pm »
I think with Google as long as it appears somewhere on the page, the more people who click the link the farther it moves up the list. Mind you, I said "I think."

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 10:26:23 pm »
Can't we use "Formerly FSTDT" anywhere on the site?

Also, if we do a website we should do a blog as well as that seems to be a trend. Maybe we also can have a Facebook page, I'm thinking this because of how social media seems to be the thing now.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 10:31:01 pm »

Yeah, no, let's not. If it happens, it happens, but I don't think we should devote our energy into it.

I have no problem with letting people know that FQA is the latest incarnation of FSTDT forums, but I think we should be moving forward from that. Dwelling on our (soon to be) past relationship is not the way to define ourselves as a new community.

On that note, and somewhat more on topic, I had been considering starting an FQA blog, with articles by various forumites. The podcast and Youtube ideas are also pretty good.

Anyone who is able and willing to contribute to any of these projects (or another one), please post here and state what you want or can do. Once we get an idea of our available pool of talent, it'll be easier to figure out where to go from here.
Σא

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 10:37:03 pm »
I can contribute art, writing, proofreading, and research.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 10:40:38 pm »
Like I already said I'm willing to participate in a podcast if we start one.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 10:41:51 pm »
I can write and would be willing to collab with JohnE on articles, I'm not very good at researching things out.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman