Author Topic: Youtube and copyright theft.  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Youtube and copyright theft.
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:22:46 pm »
A while ago Sony sent a DCMA request to youtube and a video showing the 3d short Sintel was removed. The only problem is that Sony does not own Sintel or anything in it. It was a crowdsourced indie film that can be freely shared.

So what we are seeing in action is that Youtube removes clips just because person or organisation X demands it. This system has enabled a new form of copyright theft. Simply claim that you own a video and it will be removed or better yet you can get the ad money into your pocket. And since people are now trying to earn money with their videos on Youtube this has created new opportunities for scam.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/sony-demands-removal-of-open-source-indie-short-sintel-from-youtube-98182.html

Furthermore, the removal of the video is done automatically and no one will check to see if the claim has any truth in it unless there is a counter claim from the Youtube user. This means that taking down videos is very fast and trying to get them back up takes time thereby meaning a loss of income to people who need the ad revenue. So even if you do get the video back up trolls can cause economical damage to people by flagging their videos.

I think we've already talked about how this system is also abused to remove any negative reviews that people make but that is another thing that needs to be remembered.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Youtube and copyright theft.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:29:08 pm »
Furthermore, the removal of the video is done automatically and no one will check to see if the claim has any truth in it unless there is a counter claim from the Youtube user.

Whatever happened to presumption of innocence?

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:42:34 pm »
It only counts in the courts (if then). Private businesses can do whatever the hell they want.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:05:23 pm »
Proof that there is, in fact, such a thing as too much automation.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:52:51 pm »
Furthermore, the removal of the video is done automatically and no one will check to see if the claim has any truth in it unless there is a counter claim from the Youtube user.

YouTube is not the justice system. Also, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong here, but YouTube has a lot to lose and very little to gain by not pulling down a video automatically. Copyright law means they are at blame for user-uploaded content if they don't take it down as soon as they hear about it*. So taking time to figure out what's a legitimate copyright claim and what isn't puts them at risk of being sued; taking down first and then having the user have to submit a claim to get it back up is safer.

*I think, anyway.
Σא

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 11:25:53 pm »

YouTube is not the justice system. Also, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong here, but YouTube has a lot to lose and very little to gain by not pulling down a video automatically. Copyright law means they are at blame for user-uploaded content if they don't take it down as soon as they hear about it*. So taking time to figure out what's a legitimate copyright claim and what isn't puts them at risk of being sued; taking down first and then having the user have to submit a claim to get it back up is safer.

*I think, anyway.

Though it kind of makes me wonder:

If youtube doesn't check claims to see of they're true, what would happen if people masquerading as copyright holders started flagging videos on the channels of the actual copyright holders?

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 11:41:07 pm »

*I think, anyway.

Though it kind of makes me wonder:

If youtube doesn't check claims to see of they're true, what would happen if people masquerading as copyright holders started flagging videos on the channels of the actual copyright holders?

That's essentially what's already happening.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:45:11 pm »
Google, as YouTube's owner, is a big enough, rich enough corporate entity to change their policy to; prove you are the copyright owner before we take it down.

A high profile media company like Sony should be able to provide that proof immediately, right? Otherwise, as this instant yank down policy proliferates, YouTube will be less popular, less advert income will be generated by fewer viewers and etc.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 11:41:07 pm »
The instant yank down policy has been going on for several years now (possibly since the beginning? I don't know). Any negative effects would already have happened.
Σא

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 02:00:38 am »
The hyperbole that comes from referring to copyright infringement as "theft" helps to perpetuate these abuses.

All in the name of "tough on crime".
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:18:49 pm »
DCMA requests are a terrible idea in practice because someone has to verify that stupid amounts requests are accurate and not malicious. Then deal with whiny private companies whining because their request was not processed instantly. The same thing happens with file hosts too. A dedicated workforce is needed to just to go through the motions or they just take everything requested down.

The only people who benefit from this are lawyers. Hell Internet Service Providers used to get sued, now legislation such as  the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act (OCILLA) exists just to cover their ass. At least Google has some sort of transparency.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*