Author Topic: Seven words you can't say on the CDC  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Seven words you can't say on the CDC
« on: December 16, 2017, 12:44:39 am »
So Donald Trump has banned the Center for Disease Control from using certain words he doesn't like: "vulnerable," "entitlement," "diversity," "transgender," "fetus," "evidence-based" and "science-based."

After all we can't act like there's a difference between science and evidence on the one hand, and what some loudmouth kook on Fox News said on the other. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-cdc-forbidden-words-20171215-story.html

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Re: Seven words you can't say on the CDC
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:47:22 am »
I think I read a book where a government disallowed people from saying certain things before.
What was it called again?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:40:05 am »
And thus there are no more transgender people in USA and that's why there is no need for any laws protecting them from discrimination...

Also, you can bet that this will be used by the next bigot screaming "THERE ARE ONLY 2 GENDERS!" and thinking that science has got his back.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 07:54:38 am »
And thus there are no more transgender people in USA and that's why there is no need for any laws protecting them from discrimination...

Also, you can bet that this will be used by the next bigot screaming "THERE ARE ONLY 2 GENDERS!" and thinking that science has got his back.
That's not very conservatively correct of you Askold, "science based" and "evidence based" make baby Jesus cry!

Say..."market based", or "bible based." It's the "new way."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 04:03:57 pm »
I think I read a book where a government disallowed people from saying certain things before.

This policy is doubleplusungood.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 11:40:19 pm »

This policy is doubleplusungood.

It's a Trump-era policy, I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Wurdulac

• Neonate
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 12:33:32 am »
Well, according to the talk page on Rational Wiki, there have been some conflicting reports.

From that page:
Some conflicting follow-up reports:

http://time.com/5068160/cdc-banned-words-transgender/

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/cdc-director-says-there-are-no-banned-words-at-the-agency

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/health/cdc-trump-banned-words.html

TL;DR There's no indication the "ban" came from Trump or even the White House. New reports indicate it came from the CDC (or HHS) itself; the agency claims "word ban" is a mischaracterization. It was likely an internal memo detailing strategies to secure funding from the current administration and congressional body. Basically, "These words tend to make Republicans angry, so try to work around them when writing budget proposals."

So Trump isn't censoring the CDC, it's just the entire Republican party coercing the CDC into self-censorship just so it can do its job....

In other words, lol nothing matters.
Then again, I could be wrong.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:05 am »
Well, according to the talk page on Rational Wiki, there have been some conflicting reports.

From that page:
Some conflicting follow-up reports:

http://time.com/5068160/cdc-banned-words-transgender/

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/cdc-director-says-there-are-no-banned-words-at-the-agency

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/health/cdc-trump-banned-words.html

TL;DR There's no indication the "ban" came from Trump or even the White House. New reports indicate it came from the CDC (or HHS) itself; the agency claims "word ban" is a mischaracterization. It was likely an internal memo detailing strategies to secure funding from the current administration and congressional body. Basically, "These words tend to make Republicans angry, so try to work around them when writing budget proposals."

So Trump isn't censoring the CDC, it's just the entire Republican party coercing the CDC into self-censorship just so it can do its job....

In other words, lol nothing matters.

Honestly, that's even worse.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 08:54:11 am »
Having to play Tiptoe Around the Retards so we can fight disease.  Almost makes me wish Kira were fuckin real.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dappler

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 08:10:22 pm »
Seven words you can't say on the CDC

It's about time someone updated Carlin's 7 words you can't say. It's a bit dated.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyBH5oNQOS0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyBH5oNQOS0</a>

I vote the CDC replaces any usage of 'science-based' with 'cocksucker'.

You'd probably need a glossary though.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 08:44:23 pm »

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 02:00:51 am »
In a way I'm actually kind of bummed the CDC "7 banned words" thing wasn't as bad as first reported. I never got the chance to propose my solution – replace every banned term with Pokemon names. Replace every ‘fetus’ with ‘squirtle,’ every ‘transgender’ with ‘butterfree,’ and every ‘vulnerable’ with ‘geodude.’ Everything the CDC published would go viral, and send the clear message: “We are not afraid of you.” Show the Republicans they are small and the adults in the room do not respect them. It would have been awesome.

Is this the way they feel all the time? It's a weird kind of pouty disappointment that such a good idea must go to waste.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 03:14:30 pm »
Lord.  They're not banned from saying those words outright.  They're just banned from using those words in budget discussions.

Ironbite-which is bad but not as bad as you think.