Author Topic: #WeNeedDiverseBooks  (Read 9903 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: #WeNeedDiverseBooks
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 05:54:12 pm »
Any outside attempt to force Hollywood into more diversity will fail.  If you make a rule that say book adaptations can't change the ethnicity of a person and Hollywood thing that movie may not do as well without the which the movie does not get made.  As it is right now movie studios are not taking chances. 

If you have some type of quota system you as simple going to get very low budget moves introduced to balance things out.

Oh, I mean like the academy or the union or something. Or a properly enthusiastic activist group.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 06:00:44 pm »
Any outside attempt to force Hollywood into more diversity will fail.  If you make a rule that say book adaptations can't change the ethnicity of a person and Hollywood thing that movie may not do as well without the which the movie does not get made.  As it is right now movie studios are not taking chances. 

If you have some type of quota system you as simple going to get very low budget moves introduced to balance things out.

Oh, I mean like the academy or the union or something. Or a properly enthusiastic activist group.
Or getting people to buy more books with POC characters(pardon the Tumblespeek)

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 06:18:00 pm »

Those groups would have to make enough nose that movie viewers took notice and cost the movie studios money.  So in the end it still comes down to society demanding, with their wallets, more diversity.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 08:15:42 pm »

Those groups would have to make enough nose

Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 10:40:28 pm »
I can't decide whether a TV that emits scents appropriate to certain scenes would be an excellent idea or a terrible idea.

The first problem: smells are chemicals in the air. If your TV has a sufficiently wide range of chemicals to synthesize, it can probably be used to create some sort of poison gas, either intentionally or by accident.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 10:43:07 pm »
I can't decide whether a TV that emits scents appropriate to certain scenes would be an excellent idea or a terrible idea.

The first problem: smells are chemicals in the air. If your TV has a sufficiently wide range of chemicals to synthesize, it can probably be used to create some sort of poison gas, either intentionally or by accident.

The second problem: human beings react to some scents with the urge to vomit.

A tv show that makes you vomit is baaaaaad.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 11:35:20 pm »

Then why did they put [random show that I hate] on TV then?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 11:41:45 pm »
I always found meeting a quota of ethnicity a bit weird. I see and agree with the point of it, but forcing it seems...creepy

Okay this is a bit white, hey you, youre out...okay youre black so you can come in, okay we also need an asian or two.

And in writing. Again its a little irky to assume everybody in a typical novel is white. But if you force people to make it more ethnic, youre just gonna get people going

"Oh, its whitewashed *inserts the word asian into a couple of character descriptions* done."

At least thats what i would do, just to irritate others by being blasé about it
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:45:41 pm by Hofstadter's Tortoise »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 12:01:05 am »

Then why did they put [random show that I hate] on TV then?

Because of [reasons]

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 12:23:39 am »
I always found meeting a quota of ethnicity a bit weird. I see and agree with the point of it, but forcing it seems...creepy

Okay this is a bit white, hey you, youre out...okay youre black so you can come in, okay we also need an asian or two.

And in writing. Again its a little irky to assume everybody in a typical novel is white. But if you force people to make it more ethnic, youre just gonna get people going

"Oh, its whitewashed *inserts the word asian into a couple of character descriptions* done."

Yeah, often Hollywood *cough*whiteguys will just throw in a non-white character and call it quits. Pro tip:make sure every story or bit of character development relating to them reminds us of how non-white they are.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 12:46:41 am »

Yeah, often Hollywood *cough*whiteguys will just throw in a non-white character and call it quits. Pro tip:make sure every story or bit of character development relating to them reminds us of how non-white they are.

Also: make sure to kill them off quickly once the conflict appears so you can resume focus on the white people who actually matter to the story.  Black Guy Dies First, and all that.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 12:50:23 am »

Also: make sure to kill them off quickly once the conflict appears so you can resume focus on the white people who actually matter to the story.  Black Guy Dies First, and all that.
Or if they're lesbians, make sure they make out and do the sex thing so wealthy 12 year olds will buy tickets.
And don't forget:all Asians are magic.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:54:09 am by I am lizard »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 07:59:57 am »

Those groups would have to make enough nose that movie viewers took notice and cost the movie studios money.  So in the end it still comes down to society demanding, with their wallets, more diversity.

Nah. Money has never been, primarily, the reason for this approach to art. It doesn't matter how well proper films sell.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 01:54:27 pm »

That's always been my problem with attempting to force diversity. Too often the people demanding more diversity don't want anything to be changed except the character's skin tone and hairstyle. Now, I wouldn't give two shits if I played as Jason Lopez in Far Cry 3 if he was still the same character as Jason Brody. But I would question the point of making him a Latino character for no purpose other than surface "diversity" and to meet a quota of some kind.

Regardless of what we desire, the race of a character does have an impact. Our world history and extremely diverse culture means that the background of a character greatly affects how we view them. Even someone who's not bigoted will still acknowledge that a black guy is black and acknowledge their racial history, especially in a country like the United States that only just ended segregation within a human lifetime and was literally enslaving them 150 years ago.

The irony behind trying to force a character into a different race, or demanding changes in racial background without changing the character, is that it ends up implying that the only thing that matters to them is the race.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2014, 06:54:08 pm »

Or if they're lesbians, make sure they make out and do the sex thing so wealthy 12 year olds will buy tickets.
And don't forget:all Asians are magic.

I haven't seen that stereotype much, to be honest.

Native Americans, on the other hand, are always either magic (post-1970s) or savages (pre-1970s). Along with the occasional goofy sidekick role.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:57:34 pm by Random Guy »