Author Topic: Kaepernick Protest: Football and Tackling Racism  (Read 5936 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Kaepernick Protest: Football and Tackling Racism
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:53:52 am »
Colin Kaepernick is tackling the racism by refusing to stand for the national anthem, and predictably the right wing has collectively lost their damn minds. More athletes are now doing this, and its effectively showing that, for the right wing, you are allowed to protest until you seem unpatriotic, and then you should be crushed like a bug and only offer compliments to the boot crushing you.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/12/politics/ted-cruz-athletes-national-anthem-tweets/index.html

Ted Cruz recently injected himself into this story, more than likely after just getting done flaying another poor drifter.

I gotta say, if Ted Cruz is saying you've done something wrong, take heart; you did the right thing. (Unless you are Donald Trump. Still, I'll take The Donald over Cruz any day)
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Online dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Kaepernick Protest: Football and Tackling Racism
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 02:10:07 am »
Actual comments from a Trump supporter (back when Kaepernick first protested and before this spread to other players):

Both parties are within their rights to do so, though it's sort of embarrassing for keepernick since he has white parents so the first step to really protest so called racism would be to repudiate his parents as they are clearly a symbol of the white patriarchy. In all reality it's just a bad football player trying to get some free publicity before he gets cut

Rumor mill is that he's headed exactly that way [getting driven out like Kluwe was]. I've got a very diverse office, white males are very much the minority and the most outraged folks about his behavior are the black guys. I could care less personally most football players are complete idiots in my book
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 03:41:50 pm »
I've been seeing this so much cause it's what I do and I can get behind him on this.  Though taking the knee is really more patriotic then standing with your heart over your hand.

Ironbite-at least in my opinion.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 06:51:21 pm »
I've been seeing this so much cause it's what I do and I can get behind him on this.  Though taking the knee is really more patriotic then standing with your heart over your hand.
Not to mention, has far higher rates of survival.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 03:52:58 am »
When a song is so important that someone taking a knee during it is news, something is wrong.

Australians dont even know the second verse to the anthem, we literally skip over it because it takes too long.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 04:00:08 am »
Australians dont even know the second verse to the anthem, we literally skip over it because it takes too long.
Not to mention, most don't even know that verses three, four and five even exist.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 06:19:55 pm »
Not to mention, most don't even know that verses three, four and five even exist.

Or that what we sing as the second verse is actually the third.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 07:51:56 pm »

Yeah, Americans are the same. Everyone knows there is a first verse, few know all the words, fewer know there are second and third verses, and maybe one American-historian in a library attic who hasn't seen sunlight in 13 years knows all the words to all three verses.

My view, good on Kaep. Baltimore riots, and white people say "I agree with the message, but they need to protest their grievances in a more polite and civil fashion." Kaep protests in a polite and civil fashion, and white people flip shit that he shouldn't protest in a manner that is unpatriotic. The message is, if you're black, and you want to protest white privilege and over-policing of black neighborhoods (coupled with police brutality), then you should sit down and shut up. But not if sitting down and shutting up is your method of protest. Really, you should just not draw attention to these things, because it is inconvenient and uncomfortable for pearl-clutching white Americans.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:55:49 pm »
But don't you know? Soldiers died for his right to protest, so therefor the only respectful option is to not use his right to protest! /sarcasm

I fucking hate when people cite the military for why protesting the national anthem is supposedly disrespectful. Not only does it make no sense to say that using the rights the soldiers allegedly fought for is disrespectful (if it's disrespectful, what's the point of having that right?), it's treating the military as a monolith and one entity. Not to mention that the last war where "American freedom" was on the line was the fucking American Civil War.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 07:49:08 am »
At the very latest, it was WWII, but that's debatable, given how little staying power Hitler had, at the end of the day.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 08:17:44 am »
The Japs would've taken Hawaii given half a chance, so it's technically true.

Though I very strongly doubt any party had any intention of occupying the mainland.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 08:27:35 am »
I think Japan mainly wanted USA out of the way for their conquest of Asia and wanted to break the embargo that was crippling their country. They had bought over 70% of their scrap iron and 90% of their copper from USA not to mention that when USA stopped oil shipments to Japan (and stopped Vichy France from shipping oil and gasoline to Japan by starting an undeclared war) their country was on the brink of collapse. Basically their options were either to submit to USA and lose the war without firing a shot OR start a war with USA and them end the embargo.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 09:47:45 am »
The thing that irritates me is people's attempts to circumvent the First Amendment.  Megan Rapinoe has taken the knee for the anthem and has gotten shit for it.  Either the home team will play the anthem early or she'll get blasted for her protest by the very organization she's playing for.  Oh and there's also stories of school's punishing students for not standing and saying that its mandatory for them to stand despite a SCOTUS case saying otherwise.  My point is that in this post 9/11 world, we're seeing how patriotism is used to punish people and fake them feel isolated and unwanted.  Because it's scary seeing someone point out everything that's wrong with this country.

Ironbite-jand nobody likes that feeling.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 09:51:11 am »
It's not even patriotism. It's just about going through the motions and mindlessly following some traditions to show that you are willing to follow the traditions and therefore are "one of us."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 10:41:45 am »
It's not even patriotism. It's just about going through the motions and mindlessly following some traditions to show that you are willing to follow the traditions and therefore are "one of us."

Blind nationalism anyone? Trump 2016, anyone?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?