Author Topic: A spiritual crisis  (Read 11057 times)

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
A spiritual crisis
« on: October 20, 2018, 11:20:31 am »
Yesterday I tried converting a college friend to Catholicism by telling him that I made a post on the internet about evidence for the plagues of Egypt and the Exodus. He then immediately showed me the Wikipedia article for the Exodus. This is what it says.
According to Exodus 12:37–38, the Israelites numbered "about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children", plus many non-Israelites and livestock. Numbers 1:46 gives a more precise total of 603,550 men aged 20 and up. It is difficult to reconcile the idea of 600,000 Israelite fighting men with the information that the Israelites were afraid of the Philistines and Egyptians.[43] The 600,000, plus wives, children, the elderly, and the "mixed multitude" of non-Israelites would have numbered some two million people.[44] Marching ten abreast, and without accounting for livestock, they would have formed a column 240 km long.[45] The entire Egyptian population in 1250 BCE is estimated to have been around three to 3.5 million,[46][44] and no evidence has been found that Egypt ever suffered the demographic and economic catastrophe such a loss of population would represent, nor that the Sinai desert ever hosted (or could have hosted) these millions of people and their herds.[47] Some have rationalised the numbers into smaller figures, for example reading the Hebrew as "600 families" rather than 600,000 men, but all such solutions have their own set of problems.
Because of that I am in a spiritual crisis because my friend proved that the Bible is not inerrant. At least God and the Bible are real in the parallel universe where Parallel Hero takes place and where my parallel self is Arch Cleric of the Europan Kingdom. Now I am not sure if God and the Bible are real in this one due to the error in the Bible.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: A spiritual crisis
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 08:38:15 pm »
Just focus on the bits which line up with what you already think and ignore the rest.

Source: Every other religious person ever.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 08:56:45 pm »
Just focus on the bits which line up with what you already think and ignore the rest.

But doing that would be willful ignorance.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 08:58:32 pm »

Then for you, it should be a breeze!

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 09:28:03 pm »

It won’t because I always like pursuing knowledge. I thought that the evidence was in favor of Christianity. Since you were raised Catholic, did you have a spiritual crisis like mine?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 09:41:14 pm »

It won’t because I always like pursuing knowledge. I thought that the evidence was in favor of Christianity. Since you were raised Catholic, did you have a spiritual crisis like mine?
Yes!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 03:01:47 am »

Yes!

I'm sure he could use your advice in these trying times.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 04:24:26 am »

Yes!
I'm sure he could use your advice in these trying times.
Step 1: Use your fucking brain for once...

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 07:51:02 pm »
The information I found proving that the Bible has errors in it is a huge crisis for me because the Christian God was one of my best friends, and now I am not sure if he exists in this universe. I envy my parallel self from parallel hero who lives in the parallel universe where he does exist.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 07:54:13 pm »
Oh boo hoo you lost your imaginary friend. Welcome to turning, what, six?

As for your parallel self, how do you know the Bible (or equivalent) in that alternate reality doesn't have contradictions?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 08:04:44 pm »
Oh boo hoo you lost your imaginary friend. Welcome to turning, what, six?

As for your parallel self, how do you know the Bible (or equivalent) in that alternate reality doesn't have contradictions?

Because Parallel Hero shows that the Christian God is real in that universe due to there being angels, Abbadon, and Lucifer in the story, so the Bible in that universe is divinely inspired.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:59:25 pm by Jacob Harrison »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 09:04:47 pm »
It's also fiction.

I know, it's harder for people raised religious to distinguish reality and fiction.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 09:09:48 pm »
It's also fiction.

I know, it's harder for people raised religious to distinguish reality and fiction.

But remember how I said before that I was visited by my parallel self from that universe, revealing that it is true. Advanced time traveling aliens read Parallel Hero and went back in time to cause a split in the timeline to create a universe where the events of Parallel hero are true.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 09:11:48 pm »
It's also fiction.

But remember how I said before that I was visited by my parallel self from that universe, revealing that it is true. Advanced time traveling aliens read Parallel Hero and went back in time to cause a split in the timeline to create a universe where the events of Parallel hero are true.

Yet more evidence pointing toward the conclusion of that study.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 12:57:26 am »
The information I found proving that the Bible has errors in it is a huge crisis for me because the Christian God was one of my best friends, and now I am not sure if he exists in this universe. I envy my parallel self from parallel hero who lives in the parallel universe where he does exist.
So...you're an atheist in this universe but in that universe you're not?

How does that square with God being omnipotent and omniscient? Omni, Latin prefix meaning "all." As in all universes, all the time.

Also, if God is only real in the universe you made up as a setting for your fantasy story you're telling us God is imaginary then? Do go on!